It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:03 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Potential Copyright Issues
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:11 am 

I couldn't think of a better place to put this, so I thought I might as well ask here: I was contemplating running the Infamous Caravan Adventure on a Play by Post website. As most of the target audience won't have copies of the rules, it seems to me that some copying of sections out of the rules would be required; specifically the manoeuvres. It was brought to my attention, however, that some publishers get a little annoyed by such things, despite it being free advertising, and some sites prefer not to take the risk unless they know the person running the game asks for permission. So, simply put, who would I ask? I'm guessing it would probably be the current owner of Driftwood, seeing as Driftwood holds the copyrights for The Flower of Battle, and if so, how would I get in contact with him to ask? I think it's safe to assume that seneschal@theriddleofsteel.net no longer works...

Post subject: Re: Potential Copyright Issues
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:51 am 

That's a fine question. I know a few folks that have tried recently without much luck...and I can't help you on that one! I don't own them, either!

Jake

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:34 am 

You could get around this problem pretty easily by simply rephrasing or paraphrasing the portions you want to copy. It's the text itself that's copyrighted, not the ideas. That would involve a good bit of work. If you're feeling a little more lazy and less ethical, you might just want to copy them anyway. Driftwood isn't around to get annoyed, much less do something silly like take you to court. At the most, they might request you to take the information down. If you were taking away potential sales I probably wouldn't suggest it, but people can't even buy the books right now anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:44 am 

I think that Driftwood would be wary and ill-advised to press any legal claims for such a minor copyright infringement. As far as I know, about 50 people placed preorders for SatF and were never refunded. Taking money for something that is never forthcoming and then not refunding it when it becomes clear that the product will never become available is called internet fraud and is a criminal offense, unless Driftwood has formally filed for insolvency, which clearly hasn't happened, as the liquidator would in this case have contacted the debtees, those who placed preorders among them, to either reimburse them or inform them that no payments would be forthcoming. With the threat of legal action for fraud hanging over it, Driftwood is unlikely to act on such a minor copyright issue.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:37 am 

Hey Hector, I'm pretty sure you can download the Manuevers for free of the driftwood website.

Anyway, as others have said, Driftwood is in no condition to try and sue, if they would get off their asses and do their job then you're players would be able to buy PDF's and what not.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:47 am 

Like Crow says. Download everything you can from http://driftwoodpublishing.com/support/

Then re-up that stuff where you like and announce that these materials were freely available on both http://driftwoodpublishing.com/ and http://theriddleofsteel.net/ (though the latter no longer works). If you also paste the copyright claim from the bottom of the official website on your page too, you should be covered.

Oh yeah, and where can we follow your adventure? :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:37 pm 

The only manoeuvres available for download are the ones from Core. It's not so much me being sued that I'm worrying about as reassuring the website in question that they won't get in trouble.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:43 pm 

Can't you just put up what you can without the site getting mad, and then hand the players the rest under the table?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:11 pm 

Possible, but it seems far easier to me to just be able to put things where people can look them up whenever. I could potentially email people a word document with the manoeuvres written down along with the character sheets and suchlike though.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:18 pm 

Well, you could always try and post them on the site, and if the site gets annoyed, appologize, take em down and then email them to the players.

That or tell the player's to download a copy of the rules, there are heaps of copies online, a shame really considering the DW is such a small publishing house that needs all the money they can get, but hey, if they aren't gonna sell people a copy then people must do what they can.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:32 pm 

You could password-protect the relevant information. If you're setting up a web page, adding password to some data is easy.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:57 am 

Other people have put together maneuver cards and descriptions available for free download, too. I know I've downloaded some myself, but dont' have the time to look them up at the moment. Maybe someone else has a URL handy? If nobody else can point you to the right place, PM me and I'll see if I can find them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:45 pm 

There's something there for the Core manoeuvres, but nothing for the Flower of Battle stuff.