It is currently Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:43 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: In Search of New Worlds
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:50 am 

Hey guys, I'm in the process of Searching for a new world for our group to play in (at the moment we have a rough sketch of a small part of a continent which can fit into most world with a bit of tweaking). I want the world to be a fairly well established World that is the setting for a series of Novels or Short Stories.

Low Fantasy is the key I think, and it needs to be Heavily Based off of Norse Mythology. So, any ideas? World's I'm not to keen on at the moment are Middle Earth and Hyboria, I'd prefer a lesser known world, that once again is Heavily Based off of Norse Myth.

Cheers & God Bless!

Post subject: Re: In Search of New Worlds
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:05 am 

There is of course Rune :lol: but that's pure hack&slash, with a player actually declared "a winner" every session.

I've used AD&D Birthright setting for quite some years, and it has a viking-like culture in it. The mythology however is different, and emphasises the theme of man becoming a monster (literally a monster). I haven't actually focused on that area, so, I'm not too sure how this will fit your idea.

I'll give you four links:
- wiki
- the setting
- maps
- a closer look to one of the rjuven (viking) domains (download the Hogunmark files there).

And in any case, get GURPS: Vikings... it has an excellent map of historical viking travels and the places are marked with main goods that were available in that area, as well as other viking goodies!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:58 pm 

Hey Higgins, thanks for the reply, I'm not sure if Birthright (Which I love by the way) is the right setting for me, but I'm definately interestd in that GURPS product. I really have to get a credit card so I can shop online.

I haven't had any luck in finding a series of Novels that places Norse Mythology in a Fantasy World. Its a shame, I think it could make for a wonderfully rich world. I might have a look into Harn World, I think they have a Norse Culture, and what about Burning Wheel any Norse in that?

Cheers & God Bless!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:22 pm 

I get most of my books from eBay... and I mostly download the book as a .pdf before I buy it... to see if it's really worth my money. So far, TROS is the only product that has justified a "blind" purchase for me.

I'm not sure what differences the GURPS Vikings have edition-wise (except for the cover and some of the layout), but I have 2nd ed and it's great. Both editions have these excellent maps (viking world & western journeys). It discusses different story styles -- action vs. thoughtful and historical vs. fantastical vs. mythical and relevant combinations. I studied some of it as I wanted to run a thoughtful historical viking court adventure at a local adventure themed festivities, and I loved it. Customs, worship, timelines, adventure seeds and even troll sub-types if that's what you're after. I Remember that some of the questions that arose while reading it remained unanswered in the book, but in general it was very helpful. I decided against running that adventure though... since I thought it would be hard for people to really grasp the mindset of a northener, and I ran a modern adventure instead. That, and the issue with female characters... :P

And it is really difficult to find proper portraits for your NPCs! There just aren't enough good pictures! Same thing with arabs!

I especially loved the article about cleverness... which explained that while it's an admirable quality, but you'd have to be very careful that you wouldn't be considered as a coward... or as the book says: "Being clever is a risky business." :D

BW is system only... no dedicated setting. I'm not familiar with Harn, sorry.

As for novels, the only thing I know is Nancy Farmer's Sea of Trolls series. And maybe we'll know one more if our certain fellow forumite happens to finish his novel. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:00 am 

Hey Higgins, that Viking supplement for GURPS sounds awesome, I'm gonna have to try and get it (maybe for Christmas ;)).

One setting I've found so far is the WARHAMMER World, the problem being its Tech is too advanced, and its a little to High Fantasy, but I think I can solve both those issues by turning back the Timeline by about 2000 years. That way Tech should be more inline with Dark Ages Earth, and the Warping Effects of Chaos won't be so strong either (less mutations, say .01% rather than 1%, and less Were-wolves, again say .01% rather than 1%).

The Old gods will still have greater sway over the Norse, with the Dark gods as recent interlopers. I dunno, I think I could make it work. The main problem I always have is where to put the races (I hate intermingling between races, with the possible exception of Norsemen and Dwarves).

What do you think? Do you no match about WARHAMMER? Any suggestions to make it work?

Ofcourse if I do choose the Old World, and my group agrees, then that means our party is about to sail North to the Chaos Wastes in search of Jotuns :shock: but hey, that could be fun right? lol.

Cheers & God Bless!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:03 am 

Patience, dear higgins, patience. I've only just begun my novel, and it'll take me at least a year to write. Probably more, since I really only have a couple hours a day, if I'm lucky. And then it has to be edited. And then I have to sell it, and there's small chance of that ever happening. And then it has to go through the publishing cycle, which can take a year or more. So yeah. Even if I'm incredibly lucky, you won't be seeing a published book from me for at least three years.

Anyway, enough about me. I know of a few fantasy novels set in a Viking-like culture. There's The Last of the Renshai by Mickey Zucker Reichert. I read it way back in junior high, so I can't really say whether it was good or not. The Renshai is a tribe of extreme warriors who have been nearly extinguished--save for the main character. It's a high fantasy/mythological setting, so I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for.

There's also one called The Whale Road by Robert Low. I haven't read it yet, but it sounds good and I'm intending to read it as soon as I can. If I remember correctly, it's more historical but adds some mystical elements. It follows a band of Viking warriors hired to discover a legendary blade of value to the followers of the White Christ, taking them to the cursed treasure of Attila the Hun.

A couple of others I've heard of: The King of Vinland's Saga by Stuart Mirsky; and Viking: Odinn's Child by Tim Severn.

Of all of those, only the first one, by Reichert, is a unique fantasy world. You might want to try the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series by Tad Williams, too. It features a group of Viking-like people, but they are not the main focus. But it's a darn good read anyway.

Overall, I've been really disappointed at the scarcity of Viking-influenced fantasy fiction. Let me know if you find anything good.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:28 am 

Crow Caller wrote:
Hey guys, I'm in the process of Searching for a new world for our group to play in (at the moment we have a rough sketch of a small part of a continent which can fit into most world with a bit of tweaking). I want the world to be a fairly well established World that is the setting for a series of Novels or Short Stories.

You are describing Ivinia in Harn. You would have to convert the material from Harn to TRoS but all the background material would be a perfect fit. There is also a mountain of fan material -- even short stories I believe that have been written by the fans, set in Harn.

I have played a conversion of the Warhammer Empire. It's not a good fit for a Viking campaign. You would have to do a lot of work to the material to get it back to the dark ages.

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming
Kraftworks for Kids School Holiday Program

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:33 am 

Hey Daeruin, thanks for the books, The Last of the Renshai seems interesting. Infact it sounds like someone's written the adventures of my current Character :P, he is the last of his Tribe who were great warriors, and he has Passion: Hatred of the gods, and is destined to bring about their downfall.

Ian, could you give me a link to a really good Harn site dealing with Ivinia? I've tried to find one but there is just so much info out there its difficult.

Is their a detailed Harn Encylopedia?

Cheers!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:08 am 

Daeruin wrote:
Patience, dear higgins, patience.
Yeah, I figured that... :) Book industry is a dread slow one. And tough. Very tough. I really hope to see it someday though!

But actually my line achieved its purpose -- you listed the books you knew without being bugged by PMs (I know you're busy). :D

As for Warhammer, sorry. All I know is that it has excellent and consistent art. And that Chaos gods want your soul. Badly.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:24 am 

Crow Caller wrote:
Ian, could you give me a link to a really good Harn site dealing with Ivinia? I've tried to find one but there is just so much info out there its difficult.

Is their a detailed Harn Encylopedia?

Unfortunately I'm no Harniac. Lythia.com is run by Leitchy who is up in Canberra. It's the best Harn site to start your Ivinian quest. Even if you just post a request for detail on Ivinia.

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:27 pm 

On the bright side, HarnWorld isn't rule specific; there are source books for rules and source books for the setting, and the people who wrote them decided not to mix the two.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:42 pm 

I found a free download of a game once called Battleaxe. I'm not sure if it is still available or free. BUT if you can get your hands on it, it included a world called Mordredica, which was grim as all get out. Great maps too. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:28 am 

Hey Ilvarin, was that a PnP RPG? PC Game or other Video Game? Or was it a Board Game?

It heps to know for when I do a search for it.

Cheers & God Bless!

And PS: Welcome to the Boards!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:41 am 

Crow Caller wrote:
Hey Ilvarin, was that a PnP RPG?

I downloaded Battleaxe two or three years ago and had it sitting on my desktop gathering dust until a few months ago when I chucked it. From that you can surmise that I was unimpressed. In my opinion, Battleaxe had very professinal layout and graphics evocative of a gritty world, but the actual content was quite generic dark fantasy, a bit like Warhammer's Old World in flavour.

You can look around on the game's website, maybe it's still free to download.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:43 pm 

Perhaps try:

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=3406&it=1&filters=0_0_0&manufacturers_id=67

It's half price at the moment.

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming