It is currently Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:46 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Weyrth <-> Earth
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:20 pm 

Are the countries of Weyrth meant to correspond with historical countries on a one-to-one basis, or whether they vaguely inspired by them?
To me it seems that there is a variety of historical elements all mixed around, such that, for instance, two Weyrth countries might reflect certain separate facets of a single historical country.
On the other hand, from what I have read in this forum, and in reviews of TRoS on the web, it seems that some, at least, people see more obvious connections, or maybe an intent on the part of the author to make Weyrth versions of real countries.
What do people think?

Post subject: Re: Weyrth <-> Earth
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:09 am 

Anthemius wrote:
Are the countries of Weyrth meant to correspond with historical countries

IMO, absolutely not.

Check:

http://www.trosfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=41&p=1574&hilit=stargate#p1574

Anthemius wrote:
or (were) they vaguely inspired by them?

In some cases, vaguely inspired. The inspiration though is always fictional sources, not factual.

The only part of TRoS that has any claim to historical accuracy is the combat system.

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming
Kraftworks for Kids School Holiday Program

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:36 pm 

Right. So I suppose that every GM is meant to take what is there in the books, and develop it in the direction that they would like.
So the fan material on this sight is merely one possible development of Weyrth, offered to anyone who would like a bit more depth than the game provides, without having to do all the associated work?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:23 am 

Anthemius wrote:
So the fan material on this sight is merely one possible development of Weyrth, offered to anyone who would like a bit more depth than the game provides, without having to do all the associated work?

It can't be more than that - none of us hobby developers has a legal right to Weyrth. Everybody can develop it for himself to his heart's content and is completely free to ignore anything laid out on these forum pages.

There is but one exception: If somebody wishes to develop a corner of Weyrth here on these pages, he has to agree to incorporate the development already undertaken by others into his work to such an extent that he does not violate already established facts. On trosfans, we aim to ultimately present a logically sound interpretation of Weyrth without contradictions. But such an interpretation is of course only one of many possible ones, and what people do with it is entirely up to them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:44 am 

I know this is an old topic, but I wanted to throw this out there...

There are some very real connections between the game world and real world Europe. For instance, the game nation of "Zaporozhya" is the Polish historical term for the Ukraine. There is also the obvious relation between the game nation of "Savaxen" and the ethnic group that they clearly mirror, the Saxons.

Now, because of the actual description of these in game nations, I cant quite call it a "direct correspondence" with the historical nation or group, but it certainly is more than "vaguely inspired".

And I would venture to guess that any denial of these facts by Driftwood, or the authors, is just to protect their own butts! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:41 am 

theWestWinds wrote:
Now, because of the actual description of these in game nations, I cant quite call it a "direct correspondence" with the historical nation or group, but it certainly is more than "vaguely inspired".

When none of the detail is the same but the feel is there (in a story-book sense rather than a factual sense) ... I think "vaguely inspired" fits the bill. But call it what you may...

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming
Kraftworks for Kids School Holiday Program

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:47 pm 

Only Rzeczpospolita and Otarmarluke look "YACAPE"... the others mostly have similarities to real world regions while a few others like Odeon are nothing like anything from history.