It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Mythology/Bronze Age campaign
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:02 am 

Hi guys.

I am working on a ancient mythology setting using TROS, The Riddle of Bronze if you like. I am combining predeluvian mythology with Middle Bronze Age historical cultures for the world.

Into the mix I have placed my version of Atlantis. (there are tons of theories about atlantis)
I am also adding extra flaws and stuff to get the feel of Greek Tragedy etc
The highest fantasy setting I have ever done. (Players can be demigods) I wondered if anyone else had tinkered with ancient gaming for TROS and if they had any ideas.

Valthalion

Valthalion

Post subject: Re: Mythology/Bronze Age campaign
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:46 am 

Valthalion wrote:
I wondered if anyone else had tinkered with ancient gaming for TROS and if they had any ideas.

Welcome aboard!

The closest I got was a teaser for my campaign set in medieval Lyon.

I had the players play a brief scenario set in the Roman city of Lugdunum. IRL an amphitheater was built there and Emperor Caligula held a series of games as a money-raising exercise (the leading patricians were given the choice of handing over their wealth or entering the games). This was the backdrop to the real action, which was a mystical plot revolving around the early church site at Ainay. Anyway, the next scenario was set a thousand years later where the players normal characters had to deal with the repercussions from the Roman scenario. It was fun.

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming
Kraftworks for Kids School Holiday Program

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:11 pm 

Valthalion wrote:
I wondered if anyone else had tinkered with ancient gaming for TROS and if they had any ideas.

Hello Valthalion!

I am often playing games set in the ancient world, much more frequently than in a medieval setting, but I concentrate on the time from about 500 BC to 500 AD, with only subdued supernatural aspects. I have written about my games set in ancient Rome in this and this thread over at the old TRoS forum. It was mainly on gladiators and on statting ancient Romans, but maybe you'll find something useful for yourself.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:55 am 

OK here is a question I have played TROS before but I am not that great with the magic. (I am returning from a long lull in my gaming life, when I was here before TROS was new and kickass and full of vigour... Ah the Indie days! :cry:

I am using TROS because it seems suited to high power stuff, I intend to give the "gods" magic. In greek myth the gods are quite human (Aphrodite gets shot with an arrow in the Iliad!) they are around but invisible, intervene in characters lives etc have powers but not huge etc.

Do you think there are any problems with giving the gods (and demigods etc) vagaries and leaving it at that. I don't think that they would age of course :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:50 am 

It works for me. It gives you a mechanic for doing the gods' thing, and removing ageing makes it, well, divine...