It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:55 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Spice Opera
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:56 pm 

Sorry, I've been hugely busy lately, but I'll just pop in and ask for feedback... I'll probably be running a one-shot Dune game on the upcoming weekend. Here's the priority pick modifications...

Racial Picks:
A: Bene Gesserit Adept – Body Chemistry at best package; Prana Bindu at best package; Bene Gesserit Code Languages at best package; +3 Martial Arts proficiency; Petit Perception: all Per rolls in the terms of reading the subject are considered to be Flawless; has not undergone Spice Agony; Social pick D, unless higher pick applies. F if rogue.
B: Face Dancer – Mimic Personality at best package -2; can assume any humanoid form; can be detected by Bene Gesserit Adepts; genderless; sterile; Being in the same form for extended period can be disorienting. For each week spent without changing your form significantly, roll WP vs. TN7, failure means assuming one of the SAs of the mimiced person. Wearing the face of a completely made-up person has no such drawback. Social pick F on Tleilax, E elsewhere. No breeding background possible.
B: Honored Matre (post Scattering only) – Blazing Speed: Legs of a Honored Matre have ATN and DTN of 5. +3 Martial Arts proficiency; Sexual Bonding: an Honored Matre can literally make a person (not necessarily male) to their perhaps unwilling but obedient slave. The intention to Bond must be stated prior the sexual act, not afterward; most have Overconfident and Rage flaws (latter caused by their melange substitute, which is also responsible for the orange glow in their eyes when angered).
C: Mentat – Databank at best package, Mentat Projection at best package, sapho juice gives -2 TN but is addictive. Any social pick except fremen and naib.
D: Fremen – TO, HE, PER and WT +1, Survival at best package -2, Water Discipline at best package -1, +2 Dagger proficiency. Can't be member of a House.
D: Sardaukar – TO and WP +1, Concealed Equipment at best package -3, Battle at best package -2, +2 any one close combat proficiency. Can't be member of a House; social pick E; D if officer.
E: Arrakis Native – HE, PER and WT +1, Water Discipline at best package. Can't be member of a House.
F: Off-worlder – No modifiers. Any social pick except fremen and naib.
F: Guild Navigator – All temporal attributes -2; Folding Space at best package -1, Mild Precience at best package +1; blocks other precience automatically; addicted to melange; deformed; can never leave its tank; social pick A only; cannot be rogue as needs huge quantity of melange.

Racial modifiers stack on top of the usual limit of a high-score of 7 and the usual proficiency limits of 7 & 8.

The Bene Gesserit Breeding Program is represented by choosing a higher racial priority pick to a maximum of three steps, with each increase adding +3 attribute points or one Major Gift. For example, racial A priority pick Mentat would have either +6 attribute points to spend, two extra Major Gifts or +3 attribute points to spend and one extra Major Gift.

Social Picks:
A: Member of House Major; Guild Administrator or Navigator
B: Member of House Minor; CHOAM representative
C: Trusted house retainer; Reverend Mother*; Tleilaxu Master**; Ixian ambassador; wealthy merchant
D: House servant or hireling; Bene Gesserit Sister; Naib in a fremen chronicle
E: Arrakian citizen; smuggler; fremen
F: Prisoner; outcast

* Requires Other Memory gift.
** NOT a face dancer, use standard racial priority F with no breeding background possible.

Major Gift: Voice (Bene Gesserit Adept only)
Major Gift: Truthsaying (Bene Gesserit Adept only)
Major Gift: Other Memory (Bene Gesserit Adept only)
Major Gift: Bene Gesserit Conditioning (Non-BG Adept only) Can spot Bene Gesserit manipulations
Minor Flaw: Hypnotic Compulsion
Major Flaw: Imprinted
Major Flaw: No Shield Fighting Experience
Minor Flaw: Only Shield Fighting Experience

Epic Picks:
Racial: Bene Gesserit Mentat – Combine the benefits of Bene Gesserit Adept and Mentat.
Social: Head of (influential) House Major

Once I made a shield thread, but we never came up with anything solid. As it will probably be a fremen game, I can hopefully avoid the shield issue, but any suggestions are welcome. :)

Last edited by higgins on Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:19 am, edited 16 times in total.

Post subject: Re: The Spice Opera
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:16 pm 

This really solid -- I like what you have done with this, it is interesting.

Some observations:

The Racial Picks are all pretty good, with F being a normal person. Is there any way to adjust the selection so that E and F are difficult choices, like they are on most tables. I know Core doesn't do this, making Race the easy place to put an F, but I would prefer it if E and F were always a little problematic for the player.

The F social pick. Is the "Fremen with a bounty on his head" at large from his/her Fremen community or from the Arakian authorities -- or both?

The tables are quite generous overall -- lots of good options making the choice difficult, rather than half good - half bad making the choices really difficult. But then with such a punishing environment in which to play maybe the players need all the help they can get. ;)

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming
Kraftworks for Kids School Holiday Program

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:07 pm 

Ian.Plumb wrote:
The Racial Picks are all pretty good, with F being a normal person. Is there any way to adjust the selection so that E and F are difficult choices, like they are on most tables. I know Core doesn't do this, making Race the easy place to put an F, but I would prefer it if E and F were always a little problematic for the player.
You mean it is too simple NOT to pick an F here? This is probably true. I can't think of any off-worlder benefits though. Maybe make F "Accustomed offplaneter" and remove the drawback? Making Water Discipline racial skill only, or one to be acquired with MA points. I like that idea... and I'll edit my above post. Does it look better now? Or still too good?

Ian.Plumb wrote:
The tables are quite generous overall -- lots of good options making the choice difficult, rather than half good - half bad making the choices really difficult. But then with such a punishing environment in which to play maybe the players need all the help they can get. ;)
Well, I used this a general guideline:
- pick increase adds 4 attribute points
- pick increase adds about 3 proficiency points on average (rounded down)
- each extra skill subtracts one attribute or proficiency point
- exclusive skill or ability takes a whole priority pick difference
- for extremely versatile skills or abilities, I considered them worth of two picks

Bene Gesserit Adept
- Body Chemistry = 1
- Prana Bindu = 1
- Martial Arts = 1
- Petit Perception = 2
- Bene Gesserit code languages 0 (no BG is complete with that skill, plus it's basically a sub-skill of Petit Perception)

Face Dancer
- Mimic Personality = 1
- Shapechanging = 2

I would have actually put them on C pick, but mentats are more common characters in the novels... plus face dancers have the utmost ability infiltrate any place and wreak unbelievable havoc. They deserve B pick in my opinion.

Mentat
- Databank = 1
- Mentat Projection = 2

Fremen & Sardaukar
- Attributes = 1
- Proficiencies + Skill = 1
- fremens got Water Disicipline for free, but the sadradukar proficiency bonus is more versatile

Arrakis Native
- Attributes + Skill = 1

At first I considered Bene Gesserit Adepts to be B and Bene Gesserit Mentats and Reverend Mothers be A, but Paul was an Epic pick obviously and the Bene Gesserits are sooooo freaking powerful, not to speak of Sharing and Other Memory on top of that. :)

Ian.Plumb wrote:
The F social pick. Is the "Fremen with a bounty on his head" at large from his/her Fremen community or from the Arakian authorities -- or both?
It's one or the other.

P.S.
I added a drawback for the face dancers inspired by your demonic possession plus made some other minor modifications. :)

And I forgot the following:
Major Gift: Voice (Bene Gesserit Adept only)
Major Gift: Truthsaying (Bene Gesserit Adept only)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:16 am 

Very much liking your stuff, higgins, especially as I have lately been thinking about re-reading all six books. I would have done some things differently, but that’s only to be expected. For one, I think that it would better reflect the original book if the Sardaukar would be an inerior racial pick that the Fremen – I remember the Fremen totally wiping the floor with Sardaukar. All in all, your racial pick table is really solid, packing a lot of punch.

An idea for the social picks: How about leaving all common wealthy merchants at C and replacing the wealthy merchant at B with a CHOAM representative?

higgins wrote:
Ian.Plumb wrote:
It's one or the other.

But in that case, it will be either an all-desert or an all-cities camapign, right? I mean, if it wasn’t, the hunted individual, wether outlaw or Fremen, could just stay clear from the area where he is being hunted.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:49 am 

Grettir wrote:
Very much liking your stuff, higgins, especially as I have lately been thinking about re-reading all six books.
Thanks! :) However, your comment reminds me of this comic strip, especially last row. :mrgreen:

BTW, I consumed the Grand Climax in the form of an audio book and it really assumes that you've read the prequels (which I hadn't read and thus felt I missed part of the fun). Just in case you're tempted to read on after the cliffhanger in end of the Chapterhouse. :)

Grettir wrote:
For one, I think that it would better reflect the original book if the Sardaukar would be an inerior racial pick that the Fremen – I remember the Fremen totally wiping the floor with Sardaukar.
It's true, but they were in their native environment, so, I figured it had much to do with that. In Dune Board Game, fremen have fighting bonuses which they lose against sardaukar. When they infiltrated Paul's keep when he re-met Gurney and got to fight in indoor conditions, ten sardaukar incapacitated six fremen from an overwhelming force while losing eight men themselves... doesn't seem too bad. Also, one of the main reasons the Emperor aided the Baron was that he feared that the Duke gets an army from the fremen that are a match to his sardaukar. I am though, considering removing their ST bonus and replacing it with Concealed Equipment -3 skill.

Dune wrote:
In the future, when searching Sardaukar, remember (...) that each has a false toenail or two that can be combined with other items secreted about their bodies to make an effective transmitter. They'll have more than one false tooth. They carry coils of shigawire in their hair -- so fine you can barely detect it, yet strong enough to garrote a man and cut off his head in the process. With Sardaukar, you must scan them, scope them -- both reflex and hard ray -- cut off every scrap of body hair. And when you're through, be certain you haven't discovered everything.

Grettir wrote:
An idea for the social picks: How about leaving all common wealthy merchants at C and replacing the wealthy merchant at B with a CHOAM representative?
An excellent suggestion! I was just thinking how to incorporate IX and Tleilaxu Masters in the table too. The default social class for the face dancer would be slave, as I've understood.

I'll probably add Guild Administrator and Guild Navigator to B social pick. Ixian Ambassador and Tleilaxu Master would probably be C then. They are rich and have their tech/tanks, but aren't as vital to everybody, more filling a niche market. I have no idea where to put a Bene Gesserit Adept socially... D perhaps? They're more like... subtle manipulators and common people fear them.

Navigator would be racial pick E at max. Sure, they can fold space, have some precience and the ability to block it, but oh the drawbacks... Plus, it requires B social pick right out of the box (while your character can never leave his box).

Grettir wrote:
higgins wrote:
Ian.Plumb wrote:
It's one or the other.
But in that case, it will be either an all-desert or an all-cities camapign, right? I mean, if it wasn’t, the hunted individual, wether outlaw or Fremen, could just stay clear from the area where he is being hunted.
This is true, I just wanted to represent the F priority somehow...

But as the F racial pick being unattractive... basically it's the required race for any social pick C or higher with Guild Navigator being a notable exception.

Last edited by higgins on Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:17 am 

higgins wrote:
However, your comment reminds me of this comic strip, especially last row. :mrgreen:

Yep, it’s quite right. IMO, the first book was excellent, the second one very good, the third and fourth ones very decent, and the fifth and sixth ones rather strange. Anyhow, I have no intention to read any of the prequels or sequels or whatnot – I‘ve got the creeping suspicion that Herbert Junior is just out to make some money.

higgins wrote:
The default social class for the face dancer would be slave, as I've understood.

On Tleilax, certainly, but on Arrakis, where they’d be free-roaming agents, their liberties should be much gretaer and I don’t think that slave should apply – unless they are kept on an extremely short leash by their masters or are in a position where they’d have to acts like saves.

Btw, you might want to have a look at this French Dune rpg. Or not.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:33 am 

Grettir wrote:
On Tleilax, certainly, but on Arrakis, where they’d be free-roaming agents, their liberties should be much gretaer and I don’t think that slave should apply – unless they are kept on an extremely short leash by their masters or are in a position where they’d have to acts like saves.
As E represents freefoaming people like citizens and fremen, then I'll probably put them on E then. Smuggler is E too. D pick is freeroaming plus some influence, such as naib or a minor smuggler lord, so, Bene Gesserits are also on D, unless the adept is a member of a house or trusted retainer of course, in which case the higher priority pick applies.

Grettir wrote:
Btw, you might want to have a look at this French Dune rpg. Or not.
I wish I understood French. I've seen a free French steampunk RPG too. :cry:

Edit: Added social pick requirement to racial picks. Also added Guild Navigator, an F priority race. I was facing the same issue than with cyberpunk... if physical attributes are not necessary, people will drop everything in mental... Used a very unelegant brute force tactic on that issue. Suggestions welcome (to cyberpunk as well).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:51 pm 

Again having a look at this I'd like to say that my perception of the setting is that a Guild navigator or a Guild representative easily carries as much social weight as a member of a Major House and that those two should therefore be Social A picks. IMHO.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:27 am 

That's probably true. :) They DO have monopoly on ALL space transport after all, and who could manage without that? Even CHOAM depends on them. But then I believe it would be fair to up Tleilaxu Master & Ixian ambassador to B as both are the high class of their planets much like house minor is, and they both have their unique goods (gholas & tech). Maybe up them to B and lower houses minor on C, as most houses minor doesn't have unique goods (and there's about one million of them according to Dune Enculopedia)?

And when we speak of the novels, we don't actually see much CHOAM presence there... the CHOAM holdings are basically like McGuffins what (mostly) everybody wants, even if it's not their first priority... It would give you immense wealth, true, but we never see that in action. Even the mighty wealth of the Harkonnens comes from their whale fur. The main movers and shakers are BG, guild, houses major, ixians and tleilaxu IMO, with the role of houses major diminishing as the novels progress. We don't see much Landsraad either for that matter, which basically is only a hovering axe that prevents the use of atomic weapons and that the Emperor wouldn't just do as he pleases at whim... nor see we houses minor.

Oh, and for epic picks, I'd probably use Reverend Mother and Bene Gesserit Mentat... and Head of a Major Faction (Duke, Baron, Reverend Mother Superior, Head of Tleilaxu Council, etc) for Social pick. And a Reverend Mother would require C social pick, compared to the D of the sisters who have not yet undergone the agony.

I also noticed that I missed breeding program in the racial priority pick... I'd probably handle it with +3 attribute bonus per priority increase (instead of standard +4) but the player can allocate it as he wishes. That means a mentat with breeding (such as Miles Teg, probably my favourite character) can add +3 to his attributes if he picks B priority and +6 if he picks A priority. You can boost the attributes, but there's greater net loss the more you take it compared to raw attribute pick. Paul is beyond epic of course... a male bene gesserit mentat with breeding and other memory in both male and female lines.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:32 am 

higgins wrote:
Maybe up them to B and lower houses minor on C, as most houses minor doesn't have unique goods (and there's about one million of them according to Dune Enculopedia)?

I think I’d leave them where they are. Ixians and especially Tleilaxu seem to be a bit despised in the basically aristocratic society of the empire – a society propping p the position of Minor Houses, just because they are after all nobility. And some ten or twenty million individuals is still a very small group in an empire that spans thousands of worlds with – what? a few thousand billion inhabitants?

higgins wrote:
And when we speak of the novels, we don't actually see much CHOAM presence there... the CHOAM holdings are basically like McGuffins what (mostly) everybody wants, even if it's not their first priority...

IIRC, the CHOAM is a consortium with the board of directors appointed by various factions, among them the Emperor, the Landsraad, the Guild and (possibly, not sure here), the Bene Gesserit. Like any consortium, the CHOAM is ultimately beholden to its shareholders, but can act with relative freedom.

Anyhow, introducing it to the social pick chart just seemed more Dune-like than the generic “wealthy merchant”.

higgins wrote:
We don't see much Landsraad either for that matter, which basically is only a hovering axe that prevents the use of atomic weapons and that the Emperor wouldn't just do as he pleases at whim...

Again IIRC, isn’t the Landsraad just some kind of parliament with representatives of the Major Houses? I think we see the power behind the Landsraad every time anybody has to tread carefully because of the (other) Major Houses.

higgins wrote:
Oh, and for epic picks, I'd probably use Reverend Mother and Bene Gesserit Mentat... and Head of a Major Faction (Duke, Baron, Reverend Mother Superior, Head of Tleilaxu Council, etc) for Social pick.

As with the Ixians and Tleilaxu above, I think that the social order of the empire is thus that non-aristocrats would not be accounted the same social status than aristocrats. Tleilaxu and Bene Gesserit may have a lot of clout and also some really nice powers, but their social standing is not equal to the head of a Major House. Only the Guild should IMO be able to rival that – I perceive them to be the single politically most powerful organisation in the empire. If it wants to, the Guild can boss the Emperor around, so I guess they should be the social equals of noblemen, even though they are not nolbe themselves.

higgins wrote:
I also noticed that I missed breeding program in the racial priority pick...

An idea for a Minor Flaw, maybe one that is already a compulsory part of the breeding racial pick but that could be bought off as a Minor Gift, is Bene Gesserit conditioning. Think of how the Bene Gesserit condition important people, especially those in the breeding program, with post-hypnotic commands so hat they are totally stunned for a round or two upon hearing a certain key word. That’s what Margot Fenring does to Feyd Rautha, and later, in the final duel, Paul refuses to use the key word on him.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:44 pm 

Grettir wrote:
IIRC, the CHOAM is a consortium with the board of directors appointed by various factions, among them the Emperor, the Landsraad, the Guild and (possibly, not sure here), the Bene Gesserit. Like any consortium, the CHOAM is ultimately beholden to its shareholders, but can act with relative freedom.
The way I understood it, CHOAM and Landsraad are alike... both are controlled by the Great Houses and The Emperor, but CHOAM is economic union, while Landsraad acts as a tribunal and the enforcer of The Great Convention. Both institutions are structured so that Greate Houses keep The Emperor in check and vice versa. Guild and BG are said to be "silent partners" in CHOAM whatever that means. Of course everybody rely on Guild for interplanetary transport.

higgins wrote:
Tleilaxu and Bene Gesserit may have a lot of clout and also some really nice powers, but their social standing is not equal to the head of a Major House. Only the Guild should IMO be able to rival that – I perceive them to be the single politically most powerful organisation in the empire. If it wants to, the Guild can boss the Emperor around, so I guess they should be the social equals of noblemen, even though they are not nolbe themselves.
A valid point. :)

higgins wrote:
An idea for a Minor Flaw, maybe one that is already a compulsory part of the breeding racial pick but that could be bought off as a Minor Gift, is Bene Gesserit conditioning.
Imprinting falls into that category too. :)

Edit: Now that I think of it, I recalled that one of the novels had BG sisters massively undergo the agony to resist a deadly plague (it must have been the grand climax). This probably means that agony is the requirement of some of their powers.

Maybe I'll split the BG in two... Reverend Mother & Bene Gesserit Adept... Reverent Mother would have the current A profile plus Other Memory... which wouldn't be as powerful if there weren't the Sharing. The standard Adept would simply have Martial Arts +2 and they'd have a lesser version Body Chemistry called Oral Analysis. It would slightly overpower the BG picks though.

Another option I'm considering is linking the agony and other memory to the social status. Say, C or B would earn that... But I hate that option.

A better way would be to handle it as a Major Gift, but that seems quite cheap again. Seems the best option though. :?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:11 pm 

higgins wrote:
The way I understood it, CHOAM and Landsraad are alike... both are controlled by the Great Houses and The Emperor, but CHOAM is economic union, while Landsraad acts as a tribunal and the enforcer of The Great Convention. Both institutions are structured so that Greate Houses keep The Emperor in check and vice versa.

Looked up the CHOAM on wikipedia, just because it interested me, and there ist says:
“The corporation's management and board of directors are controlled by the Padishah Emperor and the Landsraad (with the Spacing Guild and the Bene Gesserit as silent partners).“

And about the Landsraad it says:
“The supreme military power of the Emperor through the Sardaukar, paired with his essentially unlimited wealth, makes him the principal power in the known universe. The Landsraad represents the unification of all the other Houses, creating a check against the power of the Emperor which is theoretically a comparable force.“

To me, that sounds as if the CHOAM does not keep anybody in check but merely serves to jointly control mercantile ventures in the empire and to distribute their revenue among the great factions of the empire. Seems like a company with the shares held by the Emperor, the Great Houses, the Guild and the Bene Gesserit. The Landsraad on the other hands seems to really serve to counterbalance the (military) power of the Emperor.

higgins wrote:
Maybe I'll split the BG in two... Reverend Mother & Bene Gesserit Adept...

Aww, no, leave the Bene Gesserit as they are. You really needn’t squeeze everything that’s anywhere in the books into the game, and the table’s looking good to me the way it is.

EDIT:
higgins wrote:
Now that I think of it, I recalled that one of the novels had BG sisters massively undergo the agony to resist a deadly plague (it must have been the grand climax). This probably means that agony is the requirement of some of their powers.

I believe you're talking about Chapterhouse of Dune, where the Reverend Mothers expect to be killed and undertake Extremis Progressiva, where every one of them shares her ancestral memories with every other present, so that if even one of them survives, they all will effectively survive.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:20 pm 

Grettir wrote:
To me, that sounds as if the CHOAM does not keep anybody in check but merely serves to jointly control mercantile ventures in the empire and to distribute their revenue among the great factions of the empire. Seems like a company with the shares held by the Emperor, the Great Houses, the Guild and the Bene Gesserit.
I misread from here before and thought revoking a directorship also meant losing ones holdings... Glad this isn't so. :)

Grettir wrote:
Aww, no, leave the Bene Gesserit as they are. You really needn’t squeeze everything that’s anywhere in the books into the game, and the table’s looking good to me the way it is.
I still added status of a Reverend Mother at C which requires the Other Memory Major Gift.

Grettir wrote:
I believe you're talking about Chapterhouse of Dune, where the Reverend Mothers expect to be killed and undertake Extremis Progressiva, where every one of them shares her ancestral memories with every other present, so that if even one of them survives, they all will effectively survive.
Mm... No, it must have been afterward. Duncan and his crew escaped at the end of the Chapterhouse with this huge cliffhanger ending. The plague I'm talking about was released when... Spoilers for Hunters of Dune and Sandworms of Dune follow.

Spoiler: show
...when there was evidence found that the thinking machines had survived on the borderlands via memory backup. :mrgreen:

In any case, I'm talking of Brians canon, not Franks. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:14 am 

New Racial pick (post Scattering only):
B: Honored Matre – Blazing Speed: Legs of a Honored Matre have ATN and DTN of 5. +3 Martial Arts proficiency; Sexual Bonding: an Honored Matre can literally make a person (not necessarily male) to their perhaps unwilling but obedient slave. The intention to Bond must be stated prior the sexual act, not afterward; most have Overconfident and Rage flaws (latter caused by their melange substitute, which is also responsible for the orange glow in their eyes when angered).

- Blazing Speed = 2
- Martial Arts = 1
- Sexual Bonding = 1