It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:43 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Futuristic/Post-apocalyptic settings?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:16 pm 

Hey folks

First post here so please be gentle :)

Big TRoS fan, I'm getting set to run a game for a couple of friends, we've sort of done to death the fantasy thing recently, I was thinking of running something low-tech steampunkish, with cyberpunk elements. Am I right in thinking this might be a freakish amount of work? Is there much out there already? I've seen some firearms rules on the forums here, which looks good- i'd have thought TRoS would lend itself really well to that kind of thing.

In lieu of my bashing my head against it when someone else has either done the work or found out that it's not practical, thought I'd ask.

Cheers

Brian

Post subject: Re: Futuristic/Post-apocalyptic settings?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:39 pm 

Macules wrote:
First post here so please be gentle :)

Welcome to the forum Brian.

Macules wrote:
... I was thinking of running something low-tech steampunkish, with cyberpunk elements...

Has anyone run TRoS in the Iron Kingdoms setting? I would have thought it would be a small step from there to something post-apocalyptic...

Otherwise I'm seeing a lot of head bashing eased by discussions on this forum. :D

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming
Kraftworks for Kids School Holiday Program

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:05 pm 

Hi Macules and welcome to the boards!

A friend of mine compiled steampunk skill packets. Since you didn't mention them, I guess you didn't find them: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=285

Firearms in TROS are mainly about settling with the damage writeup you're most happy with. Things get more complicated where weapons capable of bursts are concerned. I know a couple of rules-variants that are here and here on the boards, but I'll be frank and admit that I've never used them. Not that I didn't like them, but I just haven't (yet) run a TROS game that would need burst-mode firearm rules.

And since you're basically asking guidance here, here's my personal favourite writeup:
God-Emperor wrote:
Damage Equivalent Calibers
3........ .25ACP
4........ .22LR, .32ACP, .22WinMag, .380ACP, .38Spec
5........ 5.7x28mm, .45ACP, 9mmPara
6........ .41AE, .38Super, .40S&W, .357SIG, 10mmACP, .357Mag
7........ .41Mag, .410Bore (Shotgun), 32ga (Shotgun), .44Mag, 28ga, 24ga
8........ .223Rem/5.56mmNATO, .50AE, 20ga, 16ga, .30-30
9........ .303Brit, 7.62mmNATO/.300Carbine, 12ga (Shotgun)
10....... .30-06, 10ga (Shotgun), .338WinMag
The list was a bit longer in his original post, but the rest of it face the issue that I call "the elephant problem". What this means is... at some point, the weapons should become elephant killers, but if we follow this pattern... our scaling becomes incompatible with the Of Beasts and Men. In other words, if you'll be needing to shoot elephants/etc then we'll need to dive the old threads with a fresh look.

Cyberware... There are no TROS-converted materials that I'm aware of, and I was just about to start going about the inherent problems with cyberware and priority picks, but then I recalled a relevant thread I started about the subject a while back, saving myself the effort of re-typing it: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=269

What else do you think you need?

Answering my own question, you'll probably need vechicle rules. No, we don't have those, sorry. :(

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:21 am 

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies and the help-

I was thinking about easing myself in, basically- was going to make the PCs nano-enhanced clones, sent out by a surviving AI a long time after a nuclear war- long enough for some OBaM critters to have developed, to ascertain if humanity can be given responsibility for attempting to rebuild the world. the rest of the world would be pretty low tech, except the computer-controlled areas, with guns and bullets in short supply so I'd be thinking that vehicles wouldn't matter too much to begin with. I'm intending to give the PCs constructed memories and that, so they won't know what they're doing as such. Would let me reconstruct them (especially early-game, since the players are REALLY new to TRoS) if they die to some extent. I'm thinking most of the cyberpunk elements would at least initially be basically under the surface. Not sure, the idea is still floating about in my head. Just bought a hard copy of OBaM (those things are like hens teeth, I've been looking for one for ages) so might let that dictate the nature of the game- really don't want to bite off more than I can chew. I might just wuss out and spring for something low fantasy. Seems I'm not alone in finding Weyrth a little hard to swallow though. Will post when we get started let y'all know how things are progressing. thanks again for the help!

Brian