It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Hyborian Game
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:46 am 

Still going with the Slavery game.
Been a bit hit and miss with the players showing up with christmas.

Its been easy to learn as they can only engage in fist fights as they struggle for survival in the slave pits.
I will slowly escalate the lethality.

I can see a problem with combat, that may be covered somewhere.
It concerns the maximum amount of damage that can be done.
It was possible for a player attacking a NPC with the NPC having no dice to defend, the Player rolled a large number of successes resulting in a high level wound with a fist on the skull.
So is it possible to have a max damage by weapon type?

Allan

Post subject: Re: Hyborian Game
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:11 am 

aprewett wrote:
So is it possible to have a max damage by weapon type?
I've never heard of such rule. Quite the opposite in fact, as many players are concerned of high TO resulting in unrealistically small (or no) wounds.

So, rather than limit the wound level, for skull hit, I'd use the rule of striking a hard object. I can't find it in the books, so, it must have been a house rule. When striking a hard object the striking limb receives a (thrusting) wound level equal to 1/2 MoS (TO doesn't apply as per falling). So, in case of a very high MoS, you still maim the guy, but you can also break your fingers in the process.

If you don't like the idea of TO removed from the formula altogether, you could perhaps roll it a let the successes decrease the wound level?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:22 am 

That sounds good, thanks.
I could not follow your last sentence?

Allan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:45 am 

I meant that in this case TO doesn't apply to wound levels. If your high TO players find that a problem ("My character is very tough, so, he should have some protection from his TO Attribute!"), then you could make them roll their TO.

Say, character his a helmet with his bare knuckles and gets 10 successes. That means a level 5 wound (broken hand). You could have him roll his TO. Each success in that roll reduces the wound level by 1. TN should be high though. Maybe TN8 or even 9.

But as said, I wouldn't bring this option up until someone has a problem with the mechanic.

Edit:
Or you could make this "TO roll" cost a Drama point and lower the TN to 6. Yeah, that's a good 'un. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:10 am 

Hello,
The players are on a roll.
We are at the crunch time for there freedom.
Its a Roman like Gladiator arena and they have a chance to fight themselves out.
Unarmed and maluntritioned, with spell about to kick in that sucks the life force from the ill, old and 'weak'.
So far they are enjoying the TROS mechanics, and it may be difficult to go back to the Ugo/ Igo style.

Allan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:26 am 

Well they escaped out of the arena, and now have the choice to join in with the new government or step out on there own.
One player got badly knocked around, and the mass combat rules were easy and fun.

Allan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:16 am 

Sounds like fun. Who were the characters before they were forced into being gladiators?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:08 am 

Its been a bit vague on purpose. So they detail it as they feel/need. Bar one, the rest only have a movie idea what the setting is like.
I have enjoyed reffing the Dark Sun adventure and it fitted into the setting well.
It has a sequel were the characters are in with the new leadership and another city state is coming after theirs.
Or if they want to leave then I will need to work out with them what we can do.

Allan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:20 am 

Players have decided to stay for now, and work with the new government. So I will look at running the sequel.
We had a wrap up session and fixing/adjusting SA's.
I bit tricky getting some to grasp the meaning of some of the SA's, as I don't believe you can have a Passion with person you bearly know.
But we will work around it.
One player is hopefully printing up the Maneuver index cards, as they did not print as staight forward as it looked. This will allow them to be more widely used.
Still having some issues with the Healing system and a few grey area's.
Like how to assess Pain to Attributes/Skill rolls, one player suggested dividing the pain by 10 and this is a dice pool penalty to Attribute/Skill rolls. I might go with dividing by 5.
We are using the Companions Skill system, but we became unsure how to roll healing rolls on Pain wounds over ten. We went with rolling a ten allows you to re-roll and add to ten. But that is going to be a very slow healing. We can live with that, its just finding interpretations for some of these area's.

My son did take a Destiny SA, and I limited him to being the only one with that SA, as I want to find a good Destiny to run con-currently with the other plot.
I have already told him that he was forced to flee his homeland when some priests from Stygia came calling and named him Prophet and wanted to take him away.

Allan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:43 am 

aprewett wrote:
I bit tricky getting some to grasp the meaning of some of the SA's, as I don't believe you can have a Passion with person you bearly know.
Well, the main purpose of the SAs is for the player to indicate to the referee of what direction he would like the game to go. In that sense, putting a passion SA on some girl you barely met is okay -- this doesn't mean that the character in in love -- it means that the player is interested in his character having a love angle with that NPC. Whether the "love" is mutual, is a different matter altogether. Or even better, if the PC also has a loyality SA, have the girl be from a faction or family that conflicts that loyality. Can the character be trusted with the stately business if he associates with a girl from that family? Conflicting SAs make great stuff! :)

aprewett wrote:
We are using the Companions Skill system, but we became unsure how to roll healing rolls on Pain wounds over ten.
If die comes up to 10, roll it again and add the new value to the total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:41 am 

aprewett wrote:

Just to reiterate -- an SA reflects the story that the player wants to tell through their character. Whether the SA makes sense as far as the character is concerned doesn't really come into it. This isn't to say that SA have nothing to do with the character, only that it is up to the player to decide whether a tie-in is relevant or not.

This does take some getting used to. Many players will make SAs that reflect their character's innermost and deepest held traits -- and in so doing create SAs that don't tell the referee what they want the game to be about. Having one scene about a character's love for his children is fine. By the fifth it is wearing thin. By the tenth it is tedious, even for the player. Yet this is what would have to happen for that SA to fire in a scene and it is the referee's job to ensure that most of a character's SAs fire at least once in a gaming session.

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming
Kraftworks for Kids School Holiday Program

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:30 pm 

Yes thats great.
I am going to print that and give to the players.

Allan