It is currently Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:39 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Concerning religion…
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:33 am 

No problem, Hector.

Then let’s say that the official stance of the Prophet and his followers on other religions is tolerance, as long as those religions are monotheistic and thus “worthy”. Their adherents are not so much hated as godless infidels, but rather viewed as poor, misguided children who don’t know any better, but who do not mean any harm. The same degree of tolerance would not be accorded adherents of more “primitive”, polytheistic religions, like Thayrism and of course Paganism in its many forms and permutations, and probably also not to belief systems like Riddle Seeking and Atheism (real-world muslims have much less understanding and tolerance for atheists or agnostics than for devout adherents of foreign religions).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:02 pm 

I am currently putting the finishing touches to a lengthy description of Xanarium (still sketchy, though, due to the cities enormous size), and among these is the concern of its burial grounds. But before that, we need to decide what the burial rites of the Imperial Faith are.

Do we want to go with interment? Cremation? Embalming? Is any of these types of burial used to the exclusion of all others, or do the faithful have a choice?

And do we want the burial grounds to be invariably humble, or do people build as monumental funerary monuments as they can afford?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:00 pm 

Grettir wrote:
Do we want to go with interment? Cremation? Embalming? Is any of these types of burial used to the exclusion of all others, or do the faithful have a choice?

And do we want the burial grounds to be invariably humble, or do people build as monumental funerary monuments as they can afford?

Your call -- I have no preference and can work either way. Perhaps things started out humble but got more extravagant as the Empire grew -- and now things are heading back towards humble?

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming
Kraftworks for Kids School Holiday Program

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:40 am 

Ian.Plumb wrote:
I have no preference and can work either way. Perhaps things started out humble but got more extravagant as the Empire grew -- and now things are heading back towards humble?

I, too, have no preference and just wanted some creative input. And I like your idea about going from humble to grand and back to humble.

For added similiarity to Christianity, which clearly has been Jake's model for the the faith of The-Three-Gods-Become-One, I do therefore think that we should stick with interment; if it's ok with the rest of the developers (are there still any?), let's say that cremation or anything else which might destroy the bodily remains is expressedly forbidden by religious law.

In the Empire, the oldest proponent of this faith, this started out with very humble burials in the ground. During the heyday of the Empire, those who could afford it were laif to rest in above-ground funerary monuments. Poorer people were laid to rest in communal funerary catacombs, in niches closed off with slabs of stone. Later, during the time of the decline, when people had to face an utterly uncertain future and experience the desintegration of everything the had taken for granted, everybody who could afford it did strive for security and durability in at least the afterlife and had himself embalmed before being laid to rest in their grand tombs. The 14th century has seen a movement back to the humbler burial rites of former days. The short-lifed habit of embalming was discontinued, and rich and poor alike are now humbly intered in catacombs.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:53 am 

That sounds completely believable and logical. Two thumbs up from me.

Griffin Grove Gaming
Kraftworks for Kids School Holiday Program