It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:52 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: The TRoS Combat Walkthrough
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:53 am 

This document is very helpful. Thank You! :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:06 pm 

Thanks a lot for the wlakthrough.

Very usefull to explain combat to TRoS newcommers!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:09 pm 

The -1CP to blocking attacks to the lower leg with a shield is wrong. The attacker gets a +1CP to hit that area. Hit location mods are always handled as a +/- to the attacker's CP. I do like how you point out that it applies to small and medium shields only. I've never seen that written before, but that's how I play it. I suspect others do as well.

On another note, in the contest of reflexes, I have always done the following (though this may belong in another thread):

Thrusts give a +1 score to your Reflex BEFORE ROLLING Reflexes in the red/red, assuming your opponent is swinging. I prefer this because it gives the Thruster a better CHANCE of hitting first, not a guarantee in the case of a tie. I HATE the tie-breaker rules in red/red. Those make a simultaneous mutal annihilation less likely. According to Jake and numerous Med./Ren. sword-fighting accounts, simultaneous strikes happened often. So I don't play with tie-breaker rules in red/red. Everything either gives you a bonus or penalty to the Reflex score before dice are rolled. In the case of a tie, a simultaneous mutual strike occurs!

My personal house rule, but I think it's logical give everything we've learned from these books. In fact, I initially used this rule when I accidentaly misread/misinterpreted the rule in the Core Book!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:17 pm 

Also, Step D. Bloodloss check:

"If BloodLoss > Toughness, make a blood loss check..."

Just want to point out, the official is you always check BloodLoss, unless it's 1 (Since you can't fail a check vs. TN 1).

You roll EN vs. Bloodloss, so I think you meant Bloodloss > EN.

Most people only tend to force the roll when Bloodloss > EN, I think that's what you meant to say, since in most cases you'll make the check if Bloodloss =< Endurance. However, at higher TN's (like 8 or higher), you may want to force the roll. Even if the person has an EN of 8, I wouldn't bet they'll definitely make that TN 8 check...

Just saying...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:04 am 

I know this is an old post I'm commenting on but I'm trying to catch up on activity here at the new site. I've been lurking here and checking in at the old site from time to time.

First I'd like to say thanks for the work put into this document. It will be a nice reference for new players and veterans alike. Next I'd like to comment on the following discussion:
BiggerBoat wrote:
Big J Money wrote:
4 - (-1 CP) Blocking attack to lower legs with shield? Is this a house or TFOB rule? Does it stack with the attacker's +1 CP for attacking that area, or is it a replacement rule? Interesting.

That's actually a good question. I believe it is a replacement rule, and it seems to make a bit more sense to me. But, I can't seem to find the reference for it in order to verify it's level of "officialness"

This comes from the core book's "Modifiers for Striking at Different Zones" table on page 234 (first page of the Appendices). The modifier actually calls for a +1CP to attack the lower legs when the defender is using a shield. The net result is the same if the defender has -1CP but it should be noted that they do not both apply. So choose a notation that you like and go with what works in your mind.

Garrion

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:26 pm 

So I read this aswell and I wondered why you didn't include the stances mentioned in tfob and why (honestly I din'T look this up!) it is easier "sliding down a rope in a heavy breeze while fending off multiple attacks" (TN 6) than "sliding down a rope in heavy breeze; holding a weapon in one hand" (TN 8)

Thank you again, I found this very helpful!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:01 pm 

I'm sure it's a typo and those TNs should go 5-6-7-8-9.