It is currently Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:21 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Ars to Tros
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:01 am 

Hi,

I'm game-mastering TROS in FFG dark fantasy setting - Midnight. I use some conversion files which I found on web. It's Emiricol page [url]emiricol.wikispaces.com/TRoS+Midnight[/url] .

I found it very useful but I do not like it entirely.

One of my problem is using ars magica system as default magic system of Midnight. I found conversion files but it seems not finished.

Maybe someone have some detailed works on it and want to contribute them?

Post subject: Re: Ars to Tros
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:57 am 

I have a file called: Ars Magica, the TRoS Way (original design by Morfedel, on the TRoS Community Board; modified and formatted by Dave Nadig).

Do you have the same conversion? If so, in what parts do you see it lacking?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:52 pm 

I got it too.

It seems to me not finished. Sorcerous damage levels are odd. Save throws are not included. Casting time either...

But in a many, many ways that work is great. It has potential to be great alternative system of magic in TROS.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:08 pm 

Balgator wrote:
Sorcerous damage levels are odd.
How come? The rules seem undoubtedly a bit complicated at first, but at a second glance I don't think they are too odd. Simply using the generic damage tables would quickly grow old. The effect levels add quite welcome variation to that.

Balgator wrote:
Save throws are not included.
I think this is pretty clear... For projected spells use Partial Evasion or Full Evasion if the character is willing to end up prone. For invasive spells, the resistance roll should be WP + relevant SAs or Art + relevant SAs. Just like TROS p. 118.

Balgator wrote:
Casting time either...
My copy has this data:

Casting times and pools

The Sorcery Pool is never modified by Art or Discipline in spontaneous magic or when casting formalized spells in a hurry (1 second per TN of the spell).

The Sorcery Pool is modified by Art when the caster takes his time with a formalized spell (10 seconds per TN)

The Sorcery Pool is modified by Art and Discipline when casting ritual spells. (1 hour per TN)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:30 pm 

Thanks for a quick reply.

I'll give sorcerous damage another try.

About saves, I also think about Endurance or Health - in case of invasive spell evocating heart attack and etc.

And about casting times I was wondering is there any chance to cast a spell in a period of one round.. or even an exchange? TN of that spell would be a very high; almost impossible to reach. And what TN of save should be if that spell have been cast properly? New modified one or old one?

I see you're using this conversion in your sessions, right?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:47 am 

Balgator wrote:
About saves, I also think about Endurance or Health - in case of invasive spell evocating heart attack and etc.
Make it Toughness. You never get to roll that one and it makes sense too.

Balgator wrote:
And about casting times I was wondering is there any chance to cast a spell in a period of one round.. or even an exchange? TN of that spell would be a very high; almost impossible to reach.
Maybe instead of the TN, penalise SP... say... -2 dice for every round shortened? Should work fine if many SAs fire, and be quite impossible if they are not. Which sounds fine to me. :)

Balgator wrote:
And what TN of save should be if that spell have been cast properly? New modified one or old one?
The original one. Why should the effect be harder to resist because the spell is cast hurriedly?

Balgator wrote:
I see you're using this conversion in your sessions, right?
Actually no. :) I haven't ever used any form of magic in TROS -- so, take what I suggest with a grain of salt.