It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:04 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Quiddic Sorcery
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:21 am 

Folks,

I would like to share with you the first draft of my own re-visioning of Rick McCann's Core sorcery rules.

Based on comments both here and elsewhere, I think McCann's system is a little under-appreciated. I loved the potential freedom of his ideas, although the original Vagaries seemed a bit restrictive. I have always disliked the packaged and non-intuitive feel of D&D magic, and the ridiculous idea that spell effects must be nobbled in order to maintain game balance - magic should be scary and powerful, but also demanding and dangerous to the wielder.

I wanted the system to feel a whole lot more grounded. Many of the concepts used in the Core rules seemed to take modern-day concepts for granted. I think that concepts like disintegration, cellular matter, acceleration/deceleration, or even "time", all belong to our modern Dr Who-embracing world rather than a pre-scientific one.

I also wanted a more tangible difference between tossing around an inanimate object, and tossing around a live sentient being. Whatever the forces were that sorcery manipulated, why should life be so far removed from them that humans were nothing more than rag dolls?

Lastly, I thought there needed to be a much stronger integration of the sorcery rules with TRoS combat rules, and clearer guidelines on how the Vagaries are combined to create spells. On the latter, I intend to add many of my own spell examples, but I haven't quite got there yet.

I would be grateful for any suggestions and feedback. I write this from a vastly inexperienced place, and I particularly struggled with the combat rules. This has turned into a labour of love and although I need to start putting together other material now for our first game of TRoS, I would like to refine these rules as far as I can. Any help would be enormously appreciated.

Regards,
Colin.

Edit: I forgot to acknowledge the Alternative Sorcery rules by Tom Vogt and (originally) Stephen Barringer. I tried hard to remain original, but I know I've "borrowed" at least a few ideas from these guys.

Attachments:
File comment: Magic Rules, Acrobat 8.0 or later.
Quiddic Sorcery v0.1a.pdf [768.43 KiB]
Downloaded 368 times

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Ann Landers

Post subject: Re: Quiddic Sorcery
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:46 pm 

I am sorry were do I find the draft?

Allan

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:49 pm 

Hi Allan, I've sent it to Ian to be attached. I'm sure it isn't far away.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 11:23 pm 

File attached to original post.

There's a 2 Mb limit on files for uploading/downloading, so I had to run the PDF through Acrobat and strip out the backwards compatibility (which in this case took up two-thirds of the original file size).

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming
Kraftworks for Kids School Holiday Program

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:08 pm 

Ian.Plumb wrote:
There's a 2 Mb limit on files for uploading/downloading, so I had to run the PDF through Acrobat and strip out the backwards compatibility (which in this case took up two-thirds of the original file size).

Thanks Ian. Acrobat appears to have stripped out most of the decorative images as well, but they are hardly important in a first draft. I'll try to keep future versions below 2Mb!

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:49 pm 

Which images are missing? I see the headers, footers, and embellishments -- can you give me an example page number?

Cheers,

Griffin Grove Gaming

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:53 am 

You're right. Amazing - I can open it in three different Mac programs, and all images are missing but the header. When I open a Windoze environment and view it in Adobe Reader 8.0, every image is present and accounted for.

I guess it's either a Mac thing, or an Acrobat thing. Either way it's a bit disconcerting.

Edit: I guess that's what you meant by "Acrobat 8.0 or later". :oops:

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:44 pm 

Cogs42 wrote:
Edit: I guess that's what you meant by "Acrobat 8.0 or later".

Yep, that's where the bloat comes from -- compatibility. The file went from a hair over 2 meg to 730kb by stripping out compatibility with Reader versions prior to Reader 8. Unfortunately that's nuked compatibility with the Mac apps -- sorry about that. Does it work with the Reader 8+ version on the Mac?

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 12:35 pm 

Cogs42 wrote:
Does it work with the Reader 8+ version on the Mac?

Yes. I hadn't installed it until now - I haven't needed it, until now!