It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:29 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: TROS Style combat adapted to turn based CRPG
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:10 pm 

I have read pbj44s excellent "Old School style TROS combat" thread and I think a similar adaptation would be excellent for a turn based tactical crpg. I think it would be a very refreshing departure from most games where every character just takes turn moving on a grid a swinging a sword.

I have a couple of questions. To what level do you think the mechanics would have to be altered so as not to infringe on any existing copyrights? Or is this even an issue?

The other is, am I crazy? The flow of combat seems to work very well in a tabletop setting, but when you add the other constraints of working within the structure of a video game would the various "phases" of each turn seem too artificial?

I look forward to any feedback!

Post subject: Re: TROS Style combat adapted to turn based CRPG
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:59 am 

Crazyirish wrote:
I have read pbj44s excellent "Old School style TROS combat" thread and I think a similar adaptation would be excellent for a turn based tactical crpg.

I agree completely. A crpg where the combat system had tactics more advanced than 'Deal as much damage as possible to your direct opponent.' would be a game worth playing.

There's no copyright issue as long as you don't use the trademarks.

PJ's old-school system is a great place to start -- though if you are serious about making this a reality you might want to wait for Blade of the Iron Throne.

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming
Kraftworks for Kids School Holiday Program

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:18 am 

I have plenty of time to work on other aspects. Just curious if you have any input, one thing that I'm concerned about is attempting to sort of "bridge the gap" game play wise.

As every here well knows (and I'm sure why, at least partially, they love TRoS) most turn based RPGs have each character take their turns in order and resolve each action in an encapsulated manner. I worry that, at least in the context of a video game, it will seem weird to move everyone, have everyone perform missile/magic attacks and not resolve them, then melee and missile/magic attacks. This seems the only way to preserve the mechanics but I'm not sure it will feel right. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:48 am 

Crazyirish wrote:
As every here well knows (and I'm sure why, at least partially, they love TRoS) most turn based RPGs have each character take their turns in order and resolve each action in an encapsulated manner. I worry that, at least in the context of a video game, it will seem weird to move everyone, have everyone perform missile/magic attacks and not resolve them, then melee and missile/magic attacks. This seems the only way to preserve the mechanics but I'm not sure it will feel right. Any thoughts?

As with any game the complexity -- and the anomalies -- in the tactical combat environment occur once you have more than a one-on-one combat occurring. With TRoS, due to the method of resolving most complexities through a Terrain Roll, you really only hit this issue once you have multiple player characters potentially or deliberately interacting in the combat environment.

My preference then would be to have a game with one player character, dealing with one or more opponents. That game would show off 90% or more of the TRoS combat mechanics -- so as a showcase for TRoS-style combat it would be a cracker.

Once that worked I would look to expand the game to allow for characters outside the combat environment interacting with the combat environment, sorcerers, and multiple player characters -- in that order of development.

Regards,

Ian P.

Griffin Grove Gaming
Kraftworks for Kids School Holiday Program