It is currently Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:28 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Copyright Infringement
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:30 am
Posts: 42
Ian.plumb wrote:
There's no copyright issue as long as you don't use the trademarks.


Now obviously we can't just copy the maneuvers word for word but exactly where is the limit? For instance if I wanted to create rpg of my own and I really liked the combat system of Tros So I took that reworded it but left the mechanics the same, Lets say I did the same with the attribute system of world of darkness and the skill system of D&D, and put all those into one game? would this be in copyright violation?

On the other hand what if I took the majority of tros and tweaked it? messed a little with the attributes skills, and just minor changes but left the majority of the game the same (combat still works the same, same type of attribute tests, same idea with spiritual attributes)would one be in copyright violations now?

how far is to far with copyright laws? Or does anyone even know?


~Flint


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Copyright Infringement
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:43 pm
Posts: 2112
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Ian.plumb wrote:
There's no copyright issue as long as you don't use the trademarks.


DragonClan wrote:
Now obviously we can't just copy the maneuvers word for word but exactly where is the limit?


CrazyIrish was talking about creating a computer game. There is no copyright issue because no text is being copied. However, there would be trademark infringement if, for example, the game mentioned Bladeslingers or Weyrth or Riddle of Steel.

DragonClan wrote:
For instance if I wanted to create rpg of my own and I really liked the combat system of Tros So I took that reworded it but left the mechanics the same, Lets say I did the same with the attribute system of world of darkness and the skill system of D&D, and put all those into one game? would this be in copyright violation?


Copyright has nothing to do with ideas and concepts. Copyright revolves around text and images -- the wording, the presentation of something. Legally, there is nothing stopping someone from rewording TRoS and releasing it as their own game. Morally of course that would be reprehensible and the community backlash would be swift -- whichever game was being copied.

Regards,

_________________
Ian Plumb
Illustrations for Gamers
Lyonpaedia
Griffin Grove Gaming
Kraftworks for Kids School Holiday Program


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Copyright Infringement
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:30 am
Posts: 42
Ian.plumb wrote:
Copyright has nothing to do with ideas and concepts. Copyright revolves around text and images -- the wording, the presentation of something. Legally, there is nothing stopping someone from rewording TRoS and releasing it as their own game. Morally of course that would be reprehensible and the community backlash would be swift -- whichever game was being copied.


Of course it is unethical to copy an idea and reword and call it ones own. I asked not as a plan to copy anything. Instead out of curiosity of how the law works the example I gave was an extreme to bet understand the concept.

~Flint


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Copyright Infringement
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:43 pm
Posts: 2112
Location: Melbourne, Australia
DragonClan wrote:
Of course it is unethical to copy an idea and reword and call it ones own. I asked not as a plan to copy anything. Instead out of curiosity of how the law works the example I gave was an extreme to bet understand the concept.


Nor am I suggesting that was anyone's intent least of all yours. My point is that the market deals with this issue and not the law. There have been games released over the last 20 years that were clearly based on pre-existing work -- but reworded and tweaked enough to, at most, be called a variant.

Regards,

_________________
Ian Plumb
Illustrations for Gamers
Lyonpaedia
Griffin Grove Gaming
Kraftworks for Kids School Holiday Program


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group              Designed by QuakeZone