It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:36 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Ellen Thatcher
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:43 am 

Ellen Thatcher
Concept; Castle Maid
Philosophy; Take care of those in power and they will take care of you.

A; Gifts (2 Major)
B; Skills 6/7
C; Attributes 39
D; Low Freeman 15
E; Proficiencies 2
F; Race, Human

Attributes

Temporal
Strength 2
Agility 3
Toughness 3
Endurance 3
Health 3

Mental
Will Power 4
Whit 6
Mental Aptitude 4
Social 5
Perception 6

Spiritual
Conscience; (0) Speak not ill of others.
Faith; (0) Believe in God, and he will protect you.
Luck; (0)
Passion; (2) Loyalty to her Lord or Lady
Passion; (5) Love for a Knight in service to her Lord or Lady, this is secret.

Derived Attributes
Reflex; 5
Aim; 5
Knockdown; 3
Knockout; 5
Move; 5

Skill Packets
Peasant 7
-Thatching (7)
-First Aid (6)
-Stewardship (8)
-Folk Lore (6)
-Animal Handling (7)
-Herding (7)
-Survival (8)
-Farming (5)
-Trapping (7)
-Teamster (6)

Courtier 6
-Etiquette (Court) (4)
-Persuasion (7)
-Ridicule (6)
-Games (5)
-Dancing 6)
-Diplomacy (7)
-Read/Write (5)
-Intrigue (6)
-Law (7)
-Sincerity (5)

Gifts
-Area Knowledge (m)
-Beauty of Legends (m)
-Intuition (m)
-Patron (m)

Proficiencies
Dagger (2)
-Cut (0)
-Grapple (2 or 4)
-Kick (2)
-Punch (1)
-Thrust (0)
-Defensive Grapple (2)
-Parry (0)

Equipment
Dagger (Rondel) 10c
Cloths (Freeman wealthy) 1g
Brooch (Simple) 1g

Ellen Thatcher is a lucky woman. She is the daughter of the local Thatcher. Her winters were spent huddled in the family’s home in the town trying to hold off the cold while her summers were spent at her uncle’s farm helping to care for the crops, and helping to bring in fresh thatch for her father. It was during a fateful visit to the market, soon after her fourteenth summer, that her fate changed forever.

She had known that people considered her pretty. Many had commented about her thick auburn hair and pleasant smile. Still, she was caught off guard when the lord of the manor her family served spoke to her personally. Not quite sure what to say, but unwilling to play the quiet little girl, she engaged the man in conversation using her considerable wit, learned from verbal sparing matches with her brothers and aunt. Surprisingly, the lord was not offended by her words, but rather intrigued. They parted company and she still didn’t know what to think of the whole thing.

Later that same week she found herself summoned to the manor and offered a job as a maid. This being a much desired position she readily accepted. Now she serves the lord of the manor as a clever maid, able to provide him and his guests with what they need as well as interesting comments and conversation. She has discovered that men have looser tongues around a pretty woman, and has used this to her advantage by discovering information needed by her lord.

Now she is a striking woman of eighteen summers who is well known as the second in command of the manor servants. She is constantly thankful to the lord of the manor for removing her from the trials and hardships of a peasant’s life. She serves him loyally with her ability to discover information from guests that they might not be willing to tell to the lord himself. She does have one weakness, though. She has fallen deeply in love with one of the young knights in service to her lord. While she hasn’t spoken of this matter to anyone for fear of the gossips she has often made excuses to watch him in the practice yard and tried to catch his eye while serving meals.

Last edited by Wiglaf on Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Ellen Thatcher
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:42 pm 

What's her Mental Aptitude? (It's missed off)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:36 pm 

Thank you for the heads up. It's fixed now.

A note about Ellen, I created her with the intention of using her as an NPC in a game I'm working on. I like how she turned out so I thought I'd share. She is a little bare bones for several reasons, mainly because I don't want to give away all my plot hooks, but also because this way she can fit into any setting that has a local manor. I intend to post several other NPCs for this game as I finish them. That may not be for a while though because I've got to digest the PDFs of the other books I just bought. Should be fun.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:01 pm 

Wiglaf wrote:
Ellen Thatcher
Concept; Castle Maid
Philosophy; Take care of those in power and they will take care of you.

Proficiencies
Dagger (2)
-Cut (0)
-Grapple (2 or 4)
-Kick (2)
-Punch (1)
-Thrust (0)
-Defensive Grapple (2)
-Parry (0)

I like Ellen a lot. You've given just enough background to round out the character without so much detail that it becomes setting-specific. Well done!

One question -- how do you rationalise Ellen having been trained to use a knife in a fight? This is a bit of a philosophical question I guess. In my own game unless someone has been formally trained to fight with a weapon I don't give them a proficiency. On the other hand I can accept that others might say that you don't need training until you reach a certain level of proficiency.

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming
Kraftworks for Kids School Holiday Program

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:30 am 

The knife was a very common weapon, and usable by pretty much anyone. I'd say that she probably learned its use from her father and brothers, or perhaps her uncle, while she was growing up. They were probably worried about her being able to protect herself from would be ravishers since she was a cut above average in the looks department.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:38 am 

Wiglaf wrote:
The knife was a very common weapon, and usable by pretty much anyone. I'd say that she probably learned its use from her father and brothers, or perhaps her uncle, while she was growing up. They were probably worried about her being able to protect herself from would be ravishers since she was a cut above average in the looks department.

I myself would lean towards the idea that the knife is a commonly available tool yet there is a significant difference between knowing how to cut thatch with a knife and knowing how to slip a blade between the ribs of a human target that is defending itself.

It is also perhaps worth noting that there is no such thing as "self defense" as a mitigating circumstance to murder in medieval Lyon (as an example of a civilised 14th century western European city). If you kill someone with a blade in a civil setting (that is, non-military) you would be charged with having committed murder and would be tried accordingly.

Regardless Ellen is a good character and a welcome addition to this area of the forum.

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming
Kraftworks for Kids School Holiday Program

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:15 am 

I really like Maid Thatcher, she has great potential to be an almost power behind the throne type figure, though I doubt she has any such ambitions.

I don't think it unlikely that she'd have one or two points in knife. I don't subscribe to the view that you must have formal training, as it is possible to train yourself, and to imprve through simple practice and use. Afterall the first person to learn to use a sword didn't have anyone to teach him, it is simply trial and error. I also think it highly likely her father, or brothers, or uncle would have taught her a few dirty tricks here and there.

Again, I really like Ellen, a good character.

Cheers!