It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:32 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: A TRoS Core Character Sheet for trosfans.com
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:05 am 

higgins wrote:
What do you mean? It wouldn't take much more than it takes now... I tried it with my Paint skills. ;)

The volume of space is the same but one layout is vertical while the other is horizontal. Yes, it can be done. No, it can't be done quickly as most of that page layout will have to change to accommodate the new wound section. So I'll see if I have time to make the change next weekend.

Ian.Plumb wrote:
My own preference here is to have separate images for cut and thrust, and place them on the back of the running totals sheet. That would give room for three fully developed proficiencies on the combat sheet.

higgins wrote:
Hmm... Wouldn't that be more confusing? Going by your New Player dialogue style: "Who's this other guy?" :lol: Anyways, I witheld any further comments until I've actually seen the twins. :)

As I see it the problem with the manequin is the basic design premise. The TRoS character sheet fits on a single, double-sided page with landscape orientation. As such, the space available for the manequin is small. Hence the diagram is crappy and tries to convey too much information -- resulting in a diagram that needs to be explained before it is useful. The goal of communication -- a diagram that requires a thousand words. :?

Instead I'll have two completely different diagrams. In one the target holds a thrusting weapon. In the other, a cutting weapon. At a glance the differentiation is clear. Between the two diagrams there will be the 14 target locations, seven on each. Each diagram can have up to a quarter A4 -- plenty of space to make the diagrams nicely detailed and completely different. I think it'll look quite good. I'll commission the diagrams sometime soon -- maybe March.

higgins wrote:
But what's the "draw weight" under missile weapons? I dont recall such a thing...

The Flower of Battle missile weapon descriptions include the Draw Weight.

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming
Kraftworks for Kids School Holiday Program

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:26 am 

Its definatlely starting to look better! My vote is and always will be with a single page characther sheet, that holds all vital information, with all extraneous information on the other pages. This is starting to look along what I like.

Though for some reason, I have grown found of the landscape format, after thinking it was ridiculous for so long...

Join me in battle Knave!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:23 pm 

Ian.Plumb wrote:
higgins wrote:
What do you mean? It wouldn't take much more than it takes now... I tried it with my Paint skills. ;)

The volume of space is the same but one layout is vertical while the other is horizontal. Yes, it can be done. No, it can't be done quickly as most of that page layout will have to change to accommodate the new wound section. So I'll see if I have time to make the change next weekend.

Well, it shouldn't be hard to move skill packets to side-by-side... or whatever the layout will be of what you come up with. In any case, I'm not in a hurry. Just sharing some ideas I had so that all of us could benefit from them. :)

Ian.Plumb wrote:
As I see it the problem with the manequin is the basic design premise. The TRoS character sheet fits on a single, double-sided page with landscape orientation. As such, the space available for the manequin is small. Hence the diagram is crappy and tries to convey too much information -- resulting in a diagram that needs to be explained before it is useful. The goal of communication -- a diagram that requires a thousand words. :?

Well, I think all is pretty clear on this sheet. Boxed = thrust, others = swing. Gets the message through better than any of the official ones. Actually I liked your version even better, save for the fact that zones VI and VII would need some tweaking to be clearly understood without the box.

Edit: The updated sheet looks nice, only the numbers filled in seem to float a slightly higher than I think they should. And what's the optimal picture size in pixels for the portrait? That would be helpful to know. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:29 pm 

higgins wrote:
... The updated sheet looks nice, only the numbers filled in seem to float a slightly higher than I think they should. And what's the optimal picture size in pixels for the portrait?

I'll take a look at the printed output soon to do a closer check of the overall alignment.

Picture resolution isn't completely straightforward. You'll have to experiment. The main issue is to simply to get the proportions right. The image field is 2.7411 inches x 4.3746 inches. As long as your image is similarly proportioned the image load process should resize the image correctly and not distort the image. The image load process is supposed to scale proportionally, allowing your image to be any shape or size but that doesn't seem to work as there is distortion on the loaded image if the proportions aren't right.

So for now, ensure that your image height is 1.6 times your image width.

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:29 am 

Here's a link to a character sheet I designed for use with my Song of Ice and Fire campaign.

It's 3 pages. A few things like the Reputations and Influences and the Money sections are specific to the setting. On the third page is a body zone chart I created using Da Vinci's Vitruvian Man. The body zone numbers match the core rules, but the short descriptive labels do not. I designed the sheet for an Internet-based game where the players were newbies who do not own any of the books. I had to explain everything via IM, and I felt that my body zone names made it much easier to understand.

Feel free to download it, use it, and copy anything you like from it. If you'd like to, Ian, you can post it so it's available directly from this site. I'd be happy to modify it for your use, or send you the original image file and InDesign file so you can modify it yourself. Just IM or e-mail me.

Edit: Maybe I should have posted this as a new topic? I don't want to distract from the current character sheet under discussion.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:04 am 

Daeruin wrote:
Here's a link to a character sheet I designed for use with my Song of Ice and Fire campaign.

That's a damn nice sheet! I especially like the proficiencies page, listing defaults and all that. Though I would have listes two missile proficiencies, skipped the Notes section and added a couple of defaults under melee manouvers too. Or did you mean those three available as generic ones?

And a couple of questions... Why to waste room for marking down priorities on the sheet? Are the ever used after character creation? Why do you list derived attributes separately from the front page? Are they treated differently? Why list Shock on a sheet? It just goes away. Is there a reasron to mark it down?

So... yeah. Maybe Ian can give it's own thread to the posts related to your character sheet... It seems definately derailing the main thread already. :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:09 am 

Daeruin wrote:

higgins wrote:
That's a damn nice sheet! I especially like the proficiencies page, listing defaults and all that. Though I would have listes two missile proficiencies, skipped the Notes section and added a couple of defaults under melee manouvers too. Or did you mean those three available as generic ones?

Thanks! Yes, the three default proficiencies are generic ones. You can list whatever defaults you feel you'll use most often. I used Notes sections as filler when stuff didn't seem to fit right. As a player I always need space to write down miscellaneous stuff, like NPC names or whatever.

higgins wrote:
And a couple of questions... Why to waste room for marking down priorities on the sheet? Are the ever used after character creation?

Several of them have to be recorded anyway (race, social class, skills). Anyway, I like to be able to look back and see what each character was based on. Priorities are a big part of what defines a character and who the player really wants them to be.

higgins wrote:
Why do you list derived attributes separately from the front page? Are they treated differently?

Two issues. One was space—they fit better on the second page. The other is that they are used more often with combat, which occupies the second two pages.

higgins wrote:
Why list Shock on a sheet? It just goes away. Is there a reasron to mark it down?

Honestly, I didn't really consider it very deeply. If I ever have time to revise it, I'll remove Shock from each wound and just put a single box for it. Even if it only lasts one exchange, I like to have it written down in case we get distracted and forget. My memory can be pretty bad that way.

Any other suggestions are definitely appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:30 pm 

higgins wrote:
Why list Shock on a sheet? It just goes away. Is there a reasron to mark it down?

I just recently realized why it might be a good idea to list the shock value for each wound received. It's because if you get hit in that location again, you get nailed with that amount of Shock again. You'd need to be able to refer back to it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:37 pm 

Ian.Plumb wrote:
The form building is flowing better now. Create the form in InDesign, export as a PDF into Acrobat, detect the fields in Acrobat and save the form, open the form in LiveCycle Designer and build the code behind the fields. LiveCycle also exports to HTML -- which means, with a bit of luck, we'll have a character creation web page soon...

Ian, how does this "detect the fields in Acrobat" thing work? I haven't been able to find any such feature. What version of Acrobat are you using? I have Acrobat Professional 6.0.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:39 pm 

Ian.Plumb wrote:
The form building is flowing better now. Create the form in InDesign, export as a PDF into Acrobat, detect the fields in Acrobat and save the form, open the form in LiveCycle Designer and build the code behind the fields. LiveCycle also exports to HTML -- which means, with a bit of luck, we'll have a character creation web page soon...

Daeruin wrote:
Ian, how does this "detect the fields in Acrobat" thing work? I haven't been able to find any such feature. What version of Acrobat are you using? I have Acrobat Professional 6.0.

I use Adobe's CS3 Premium suite which includes Acrobat 8 Professional and LiveCycle. A8P has a forms menu. I actually find that the auto-creation of form fields in A8P is less efficient than creating the form fields in LiveCycle.

I was looking at the character sheet again this weekend and I will be working on the next version over the next week or so. Fingers-crossed I'll have something new next weekend.

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming