It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:22 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Hashtoth - the demons of torment
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:55 pm 

Another critter to help out Crow Caller, again from my archives and not quite in the style I play today.

Hashtoth

In the original setting from which it is taken, the Hashtoth is a clearly defined type of rather minor tormentor demon – which still means that he is very formidable.

It looks much like a Nazgul, a roughly 2 m tall humanoid creature swathed in a tattered black floor-length robe, complete with hood. Its actual body, if indeed there is any, is invisible to any kind of vision; his weapons seem to float at the end of empty sleeves, and there is nothing but blackness underneath its hood. The robe, even though supple as fine cloth, protects the Hashtoth like doubled mail (cut 6, piercing 6, bashing 4). The only parts of the demon that are not protected by the robe are the (invisible) hands and the face, the latter only from thrusts from the front. This is not common knowledge, if it is known at all.

A Hashtoth seems to float above the ground, but this is not quite true – even though the demon has mass, as evidenced when one tries to tackle it, it does still exert next to no pressure on the ground. The Hashtoth can therefore walk easily over the most slippery of surfaces or even water, but it cannot fly – it always needs some kind of surface to walk on. This, too. is not common knowledge.

A Hashtoth is invariably armed with a whip and a broad-bladed scimitar and fights with one in either hand. He is completely ambidextrous and can coordinate both weapons perfectly. Faced with normal opponents he will usually use the Double Attack maneuver, reserving concentrated attacks with one weapon for more formidable opponents.

A Hashtoth’s scimitar is magical inasfar as it is likely to shatter anything used to block or parry it. Any weapon parrying the scimitar will shatter on a roll of 1 or 2 on d10, or on 1 if it is a weapon of quality; shields will also shatter on a roll of 1 on d10.

While the scimitar itself causes mundane damage, the whip does not. The whip will draw blood upon impacting with unarmoured flesh, but usually not sufficient to inflict a wound level. Instead, the whip causes intense pain, regardless of wether it touches the skin or not; even magical plate armour offers not the least protection from a Hashtoth’s whip. A hit with the whip inflicts Pain equal to six times the Hashtoth’s margin of success in the attack, minus the victim’s WP. Every round after the first one in which this Pain is applied the Pain decreases by 1, until it subsides.

Being a demon, the Hashtoth does suffer Shock and Pain, but it does not bleed and does thus never suffer any Blood Loss from wounds.

Against the rare well-armoured and capable opponent it is the Hashtoth’s favourite tactic to first whip its enemy into a helpless heap and then finish him off with the scimitar when he is overcome with pain. It does the same if faced with a large number of well-armoured opponents which are unlikely to be dispatched with a single swing of the scimitar; once all opponents are reduced to rolling on the ground in pain, the Hashtoth kills them off one after the other.

If the Hashtoth is killed, itself and the robe, scimitar and whip dissolve in oily smoke.

ST: 7-9
AG: 6-8
TO: 7-8
EN: n/a – the Heshtoth is tireless (identical to TO for the sake of calculating Move)
HT: n/a – the Hashtoth is immune to poison and disease

WP: 6-8
Wit: 7-8
MA: 6-7
Soc: n/a – the Hashtoth does never communicate and seems to be unable of speech
Per: 6-7

Ref: 6-8
Aim: 6-7
Kdown: 6-8
Kout: n/a – the Hashtoth can never lose consciousness
Move: 10-12

Proficiency 10-12 for a CP of 16-20

Scimitar: Reach Medium, Swing TN 6, Thrust TN 7, Defense TN 7, Dam Cut ST, Dam Puncture ST-1, Draw Cut +1 (basically the Dutlass from TfoB p. 137 with increased range)

Whip: Reach Extremely Long, Swing TN 7, Def TN 9, Dam spec.

Note: From my experience the Hashtoth is a real killer, with its CP of about 18 and its armour, armour-ignoring whip and weapon-killing scimitar easily a match for even a seasoned figher character with several SAs firing.

Last edited by Grettir on Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Hashtoth - the demons of torment
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:15 pm 

Fantastic!

What is Hashtoth's purpose?

What, if anything, is the Hastoth afraid of? What is its nemesis?

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming
Kraftworks for Kids School Holiday Program

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:04 pm 

Ian.Plumb wrote:
What is Hashtoth's purpose?

What, if anything, is the Hastoth afraid of? What is its nemesis?

The answer to these questions is setting-specific.

Hashtoth is taken from a setting with a clearly-defined pantheon, where every god has a nemesis in the form of a demon lord who is somehow a perversion of what the deity stands for. Hashtoth is a servitor of Blakharaz, the enemy of the god of law and justice, the demon lord of revenge, the infernal prosecutor, judge and headsman. The setting allows common people without any magical ability at all to invoke the demon lords and to enter upon pacts with them. Hashtoth’s master Blakharaz would be invoked by those valuing vengeance higher than the sanctity of their own souls – and one means of Blakharaz to grant this revenge would be dispatching Hashtoth and its terrible whip.

Then of course Hashtoth could also be summoned and pressed into service by powerful demonologists.

The weakness of Hashtoth is tied in with his role as a servitor of Blakharaz – Hashtoth has an increased vulnerability to all manifestations of the god of law and justice. But this is only a minor weakness – it would make Hashtoth somewhat more likely to succumb to miracles by a priest of said god or deduct a few dice from his pools if on ground hallowed to this god or make him draw back or hesitate for a short moment in face of a heartfelt prayer to this god. Along these lines.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:19 am 

Ouch. Is it possible to disarm these demons, or to lop off one of the invisible hands perhaps? Also, I'm guessing it doesn't bleed and as such has to be killed outright.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:04 am 

Trully a formidable foe, I look forward to wielding it against the PC's someday :twisted:

This is exactly the kind of stuff I'm after. Keep em coming folks!

Cheers!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:55 am 

Hector wrote:
Is it possible to disarm these demons, or to lop off one of the invisible hands perhaps? Also, I'm guessing it doesn't bleed and as such has to be killed outright.

The way I envisioned the Hastoth it does of course not bleed, but apart from that can be wounded normally, which includes having its ahnds or indeed any of its body parts loped off. It can also be disarmed, as its weapons are wielded normally and not attached to it.

I have edited the write-up above to include the fact that it does not suffer any Blood Loss.