It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:57 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Gargoyle - the stone that walks
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:29 am 

Another one of my old creatures:

Gargoyle

The Gargoyle, the animated stone demon effigy, is of course a mainstay of fantasy. It is presented here with a slight variance of stats, to allow for an entire species of these bings, even though I drew the stats originally up more specifically, for only a single Gargoyle. This creature was used as the main culprit in a murder-mystery scenario in a low-fantasy world with no nonhuman races and almost-unheard-of magic; it was the creation of a deeply-wronged stonemason with a wild magical talent and was at night carrying out its creator’s revenge, without the stonemason being aware of it. It was a highly successful plot the likes of which I can only recommend most warmly.

The Gargoyle is a stone effigy of the type found on most Gothic cathedrals. It is about humanoid and also as tall as a human, though usually more slender, almost emaciated. Its features are either beastly or devilish or a mix of both, its hands and feet are clawed and it has often a pair of short horns. Very seldomly, Gargoyles are winged, but even those annot fly – being of solid stone, they are far too heavy.

Being of stone themselves, Gargoyles have an uncanny affinity for it, and especially “their” building. As long as they are standing on rock, wether worked or living, they “feel” anything touching the same, unbroken body of stone they themselves are standing upon as if it was their very own bodies that were such touched. This sense extends for ten times the Gargoyle’s Perception score in all directions, and closely-mortard individual stones, as in stone buildings or better pavements, count as unbroken stone structures for this purpose. If the Gargoyle is wothin or on its “own” building, this sense encompasses the entire structure, or at least the parts of it made of stone. Brick, being basically earth and not stone, does not count, and even stone does only transmit a sense of touch to the Gargoyle, not sight or hearing.

Another aspect of the affinity for stone is that a gargoyle can never never suffer knockdown or be dislodged as long as standing or indeed even touching stone with any part of its body. In addition, they are perfect mountaineers – if climbing stone, they can never ever slip and move at a speed equal to half their Move score.

Even though made of stone, Gargoyles are, mabe because of their slender bodies, surprisingly graceful, but they are not as fast as their stats would suggest, also a function of their mass – their Move is calculated based on only half their ST.

Being of stone makes Gargoyles practicaly impervious to damage. In addition to their high TO (the variation of which is a matter of the stone they are fashioned of, from soft sandstone to granite), they have a very high armour score – Cutting 9, Piercing 11, Bashing 6. In addition, any sword- or dagger-like blade weapon will likely snap upon hitting the lump of stone the gargoyle is. After any hit with such a weapon, the wielder’s ST is checked against TN 6; upon a swing, light blades break with 1 success, normal ones with 2 successes, and heavy ones with 3 successes. One additional success is required to break a blade upon a thrust, and weapons of quality do also require an additional success to break.

While many Gargoyles have claws and fearsome teeth or even horns, they attack with simple punches, which fall like sledge hammer blows. A Gargoyle’s punch inflicts additional Shock equal to the wound level inflicted plus one, like many mass weapons do.

Gargoyles can neither be knocked out nor can they suffer Blood Loss or feel Pain the way a human does. Whenever a wound inflicts Pain that is reduced by WP, twice the Gargoyle’s WP is used for this purpose – the value does rather reflect the Gargoyle being physically handycapped from the damage taken and not actual pain felt.

As Gargoyles are impervious to most damage and feel no pain, they will usually ignore any attacks upon it; only once it has realized that a foe can actually harm it will it bother do defend at all.

ST: 10-13
AG: 3-5
TO: 8-10
EN: 3-5
HT: 3-5

WP: 3-5
Wit: 2-4
MA: 2-3
Soc: 1-2
Per: 3-5

Ref: 3-5
Aim: 3-5
Kdown: 6-9 (never knocked down if touching stone)
Kout: n/a (always conscious)
Move: 5-8 (calculated with half ST)

Proficiency 4-8 for a CP of 7-13

Punch: Reach Hand, Def TN 6, At TN 5, Dam ST blunt (and additional Shock)

Note: The Gargoyle is rather formidable, mostly because it is impervious to damage – it deducts from 14 to 21 from all damage suffered. It it is not a good fighter itself, but a devastatingly strong one, dealing upon a hit a base damage of 10 to 13.

Last edited by Grettir on Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Gargoyle - the stone that walks
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:59 am 

Nice work, I didn't see any mention of if sunlight affects them however...

Also, its damage should be ST or ST+1b, I say this because the arming Glove in TFoB gives a human a punch of ST. In the case of the Gargoyle its fist is just as hard as an arming glove and would have considerably more mass.

Still though, a solid addition to any bestiary (no pun intended).

Cheers!

Post subject: Re: Gargoyle - the stone that walks
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:50 pm 

Good points!

With sunlight you could go either way, as suits your tastes and needs. In my game, sunlight didn't effect the beastie at all, it merely stayed unmoving in its place on the cathedral to avoid any trouble; the cathedral was after all its home and even somehow a part of it, so it had no intention to risk being run off.

And I drew the Gargoyle up when there was still no TFoB and arming gauntlet, and so I used the +1 to punch damage from wearing a metal gauntlet from MRB p.256. The +2 are probably better, though; I'll edit the change into the write-up.