It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:46 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: A new TROS Combat Sim..
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:09 am 

Ian.Plumb wrote:
Double Attack: Shortsword Thrust to 11 Abdomen, Katana Draw Cut Slash to 4 Shoulder

Given that both attacks are successful the attacker could state that the Draw Cut was the second blow and that the character is now at the correct Katana distance, having moved to that range with the draw cut.

Regards,

*checks the flower of battle*

The katana is a medium length sword; a draw cut would be at one range level closer (i.e. short range). Since a shortsword would also be short range, you'd end up at short range if either attack hit. A normal cut, and sure, but not with a draw cut.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:47 am 

Ian.Plumb wrote:
Double Attack: Shortsword Thrust to 11 Abdomen, Katana Draw Cut Slash to 4 Shoulder

Given that both attacks are successful the attacker could state that the Draw Cut was the second blow and that the character is now at the correct Katana distance, having moved to that range with the draw cut.

Hector wrote:
The katana is a medium length sword; a draw cut would be at one range level closer (i.e. short range).

Exactly. So our hero thrusts his shortsword into the belly of his opponent, puts the hilt of the katana against the shoulder, and then draws against the shoulder for the cut finishing the cutting action towards the tip of the sword. Under these circumstances I would allow the attacker to be at the katana's normal range at the completion of the Double Attack if the attacker wanted to be, moving away from the defender being a relatively natural part of the draw action.

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming
Kraftworks for Kids School Holiday Program

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:04 pm 

Ah, I see. Yeah, that makes sense.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:25 pm 

Hmm. Is this still being worked on? Not being impatient or anything, but it would be a pity if not. If the developer has lost motivation, could he possibly send me the source to have a wee look at and potentially improve upon?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:35 pm 

It is, albeit slowly and without much motivation. Summer has come, and with it lots of other things to do, a PS3 with Rockband and GTA4 found their way to my place, and work has taken its toll as well.
The code itself has reached that critical mass where I constantly find myself doing dirty fixes where large-scale rewrites would be necessary. The maneuvers that are left to do are all a big pain i.t.a. to do because they are all so specialized and - see my latest discussion with Ian about Double Attack - at the same time open for Storyteller interpretation, which makes them really hard to put into code.
I also have no idea how to do network play at this time, which sucks because it would probably give a rise to my motivation and some community play, or so I hope.

So, after all this whining, I'd really like you to look over my code, improve or rewrite stuff, or even take over parts of it for further development. Just drop me a line and I'll make it available to you...

Cheers, Yeshom

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:48 am 

Hey guys, any updates? I'd love to see this completed as I am sure would the rest of the community.

Cheers & God Bless!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:50 pm 

No significant updates so far. At the moment, work on this project is resting. Expect more news towards september, when summer is over...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:09 am 

Has a repository been set up for the codebase yet?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:17 pm 

There is a project at sourceforge, but I haven't uploaded the latest changes yet. Dammit, I wish I had more free time.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:59 am 

Any news? Or a link to the v1.4 (or whatever it is by now) in the sourceforge? :)