It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:09 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: TROSBattleSim Version 0.1
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:04 pm 

Ok, the release is done. I've tried it on my old PC and it worked like a charm. Your turn now.

Find it under

http://www.mindlords.net/TROSBattleSim_v0.1.3.zip

Oh yeah, see README first.

Send comments and logs to yeshom at mindlords.net.

*goes and finds cover*

[edit] Updated the version to 0.1.1
[edit] Updated the version to 0.1.2
[edit] Updated the version to 0.1.3

Last edited by Yeshom on Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:28 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject: Re: TROSBattleSim Version 0.1
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:14 pm 

- Name and Attribute fields are cleared out when adding a new piece of armour.
- The attribute fields should be blank instead of having a 0 in it. I managed to create an Endurance 40 character while assigning all fours. :)
- You seem to add an Initiative Rating mechanic. Is this to avoid ties? Actually successes are counted in red/red situations and tie simply mean attacks land simultaneously. Both rolling 0 successes is also a tie.
- Shield issues. AI used Partial Evasion instead of his shield. Plus, I managed to pierce my opponent's shield hand (though it shouldn't have been possible because of shield's passive armour). Then he rolled for dropping the item with 0 penalty, though text suggested -4.
- My aggressive stance got lost after the first exchange. Then more confusing stuff happened... Die throw was asked in the middle of the combat and a second exhange simply got lost. Tried one mre fight and the program just closed. Where can I send you the log files?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:34 pm 

higgins wrote:
- Name and Attribute fields are cleared out when adding a new piece of armour.
- The attribute fields should be blank instead of having a 0 in it. I managed to create an Endurance 40 character while assigning all fours. :)

The combatant manager needs a lot more work. I'll see into it..
higgins wrote:
- You seem to add an Initiative Rating mechanic. Is this to avoid ties? Actually successes are counted in red/red situations and tie simply mean attacks land simultaneously. Both rolling 0 successes is also a tie.

The initiative rating works as follows:
IR equals (number of successes on roll) * 10 plus the reflex score. TFOB says to compare raw reflex in case of ties. Truly simultaneous strikes are not implemented yet.
higgins wrote:
- Shield issues. AI used Partial Evasion instead of his shield. Plus, I managed to pierce my opponent's shield hand (though it shouldn't have been possible because of shield's passive armour). Then he rolled for dropping the item with 0 penalty, though text suggested -4.

I warned you the AI is stupid :) I need to look at the log to see what passive armour value was used.
I did find a big bug in the drop item code. A wonder it made him roll at all :)
higgins wrote:
- My aggressive stance got lost after the first exchange.

MRB p.75 states that stances are lost after the first exchange. Did I get something wrong?
higgins wrote:
Then more confusing stuff happened... Die throw was asked in the middle of the combat and a second exhange simply got lost. Tried one mre fight and the program just closed. Where can I send you the log files?

There hopefully are explanations for most of that in the log. Second exchange can be lost if the player is spent, then the AI just goes and kicks you, but the GUI might not show.
Email address added to my first post.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:19 pm 

Yeshom wrote:
higgins wrote:
- My aggressive stance got lost after the first exchange.

MRB p.75 states that stances are lost after the first exchange. Did I get something wrong?

True. My bad. Stances make more sense to me now. :)

Yeshom wrote:
There hopefully are explanations for most of that in the log. Second exchange can be lost if the player is spent, then the AI just goes and kicks you, but the GUI might not show.

Actually I think it was the other way around... I had dice and he shouldn't have had any. I sent you the logs so you could see yourself. Oh, and the log wasn't visible in player vs. player. Was that intentional?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:30 pm 

If by "log wasn't visible" you mean "the part of the GUI that should show the log disappeared at the lower end of the screen because I don't have a 4456x6723-screen and yeshom doesn't know zilch about GUI design", then yes :) I am surprised PvP works at all without any modifications, but of course I will eventually tweak the GUI to be more usuable (and less off-screen) for PvP.

If you mean "There was no log view in the GUI at all", then that must be some sort of bug.

I'll send you a comment on your logs via mail in a few moments..

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:34 pm 

Yeshom wrote:
If you mean "There was no log view in the GUI at all", then that must be some sort of bug.

That's what I mean. I right clicked the bar used the "move" command to see what lies beneath. Wasn't there. The data was visible in the background via command promt though. :)

And is there a way to restart the combat without exiting the program?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:56 pm 

Nope, sorry. Just nuke the program and restart. You hopefully saved you characters :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:06 am 

Another bug: whenever I roll more than 9 dice the program only registers that I've rolled one dice. Also, in my resolution (1280*1024) I can't see the majority of the PVP screen (particularly any text area which may be underneath the second character's stats area). I would probably suggest, for the pvp section, instead of the current layout (player one top, player two bottom, with wounds and suchlike opposite), perhaps it would be better to display the stats with the first player's stats being where they are and the second player's stats being where the second player's wound data and suchlike would usually be. That way, you can save a considerable amount of space on the GUI because you aren't showing the same details in separate areas.

Either that, or if it is designed for hotseat play, simply swap around which character's stats are stored on which side (ie for player 1's declaration, all of player 1's stats are on the left with player 2's damage, armour and weapons on the right, while for player 2's declaration all of player 2's stats are on the left while player 1's damage, armour and weapons are on the right). If I had netbeans or similar I'd knock together an example for you, but hopefully you understand what I'm getting at.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:58 am 

Can you show me a log about that dice rolling? I've seen higgins do a battle with an endurance 40 character (my bad, the combatant editor plain sucks), and score a neat 36 successes. Did it happen for dice rolls you allotted thru the spinners? Maybe I got a bug there...

About the PvP layout: There is not a second's thought in it :lol: . I tried what happened when you select two human players, saw that the GUI just sticks the two viewparts on top of each other, and left it at that. I expected it to crash and burn, but it didn't, so I decided to leave it alone for the moment.

I'll take a look into it, coming to think of it, it should be rather easy to just swap the viewparts out for whoever's turn it is just like you describe.

Right now, I'm taking off for a weekend trip, so no news or updates from me until monday.

Cheers,
Yeshom

P.S.: Just found a bug, beware: Should someone drop their primary weapon, the Sim will crash, because it can't figure out the distance between the combatants anymore. I'll fix this on Monday. Until then, just don't go for the arms :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:59 pm 

It was allotted through the spinners; if I allotted more than 10 dice, it thought I wanted to roll 1 dice. Maybe the program is only counting the first digit? Unfortunately, I don't have a log at present, but when I do I will send it to you as a PM. Here's looking forward to the next version.

Post subject: Version 0.1.2 released!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:10 pm 

See top post...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:18 pm 

*downloads 0.1.2*

Not bad. The first time I ran it though, the program just shut down on me. I had just chopped off the AI's legs, and when I clicked the check box to turn off the "spend an extra dice" feature, the program just closed. If it helps, this is the part of the log where it happened:

DEBUG - Rolling 10 dice against TN 6 : 1 1 6 7 3 4 4 1 8 1 3 successes
INFO - Rilius successfully attacked Pirate, Margin of Success is 3
DEBUG - Rolling 1 d6: Result is 6
INFO - Wound Level is 5 (Margin of Success 3 + ((ST 6 - TO 5) + Weapon Bonus 2) - AV 0), between 0 and 5
INFO -
INFO - KNEE, RIGHT, Knee and nearby areas Lvl 5 Cutting: Destroyed or torn off at knee!
BL 13 Shock 12 Pain 8
Roll for Knockdown, modifier -99

INFO - Pirate cannot perform THRUST, no dice in alloted pool left!
Pirate rolls for knockdown with modifier -99 and is knocked down!
INFO - Distance between Rilius and Pirate is now LONG
INFO -
Rilius
Run by : tros.battlesim.combatants.GUIDecisionMaker
CP: 13 Health: 5 Shock: 0 Pain: 0 BloodLoss: 0
Role: AGGRESSOR Stance: NEUTRAL
Proficiency: Greatsword / Longsword Lvl 15
Primary W.: Bastard Sword, two-handed, Length: LONG
Armor:
Wounds:
Current Foes :
Pirate, distance is LONG, penalty 0

INFO -
Pirate
Run by : tros.battlesim.combatants.AIRandomFighter
CP: 0 Health: 5 Shock: 8 Pain: 8 BloodLoss: 13 Is on the ground!
Role: DEFENDER Stance: NEUTRAL
Proficiency: Sword and Shield Lvl 7
Primary W.: Arming Sword, Length: MEDIUM Secondary W.: Wooden Medium Shield, Length: HAND
Armor: Wooden Medium Shield,
Wounds:
KNEE, RIGHT, Knee and nearby areas Lvl 5 Cutting: Destroyed or torn off at knee!
Current Foes :
Rilius, distance is LONG, penalty -1

INFO - +++ Second Exchange ++++
DEBUG -
+++ SECOND_EXCHANGE_S_3_4_DEFENSELESS_ATTACK +++++++++++++++++++++++++++

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:08 am 

Looking good so far, but it seems to crash whenever I try to load a character.

Also, the "remove" button on the profs window doesn't work.

Well, that's actually it so far, as everything else I was going to say has been said already :P -- kutgw!

Equipment: 2x bags grass; 75x pellets mescaline; 5x sheets high-powered blotter acid; 1/2 saltshaker cocaine; 1 galaxy multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers, etc; 1 quart tequila; 1 quart rum; 1 case beer; 1 pint raw ether; 24x amyls

Post subject: Version 0.1.3 released!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:30 pm 

See top post...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:03 am 

Hmm. I notice that as soon as the fight is over, the program closes. Any chance you could replace this with a button to head back to character management once you've finished looking through the fight text?