It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:18 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: TROSBattleSim: What to do next?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:39 pm 

The last 2 weeks were rather busy, so I hardly found time to continue work on the 'Sim. I have been thinking about the code a lot, though, and what to do next. My question to you is: What would you like to see next? Do you use the thing at all, do you think it's worth continuing?

Should I do more maneuvers, weapons, armor, proficiencies next?

Should I try to make the thing playable over network?

Should I improve the GUI?

Tell me what you think...

Yeshom

Post subject: Thoughts on the future development of the TROSBattleSim.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:30 pm 

First off, lovely work with developing the new battle simulator. It's much appreciated, I assure you.

Secondly, as for my input, I'd have to say that what I'd like to see as the priority for future development is getting a complete list of the core armors, weapons, proficiencies, and maneuvers in. While network play sounds juicy, (and difficult to implement, although I wouldn't really know.) the simulators always seemed to be a tool for resolving combat and teaching the system to new players. Making the sim more flexible would certainly improve that aspect, methinks.

An improved GUI would be a not-so-distant second, because a simple and understandable layout will better the flow of application-assisted combat resolution. At least, that's how I see it.

Keep up the good work, mate!

Last edited by ArdentPurple on Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: TROSBattleSim: What to do next?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:42 pm 

In all honesty, I'd go with at least one weapon for every proficiency (and all the proficiencies). Then I'd add unarmed combat and grapples. Finally, I'd work on the various manoeuvres. Once those three steps are done, terrain would be nice, and with terrain; basic visual maps. Nothing complicated, just something to show where different terrain features are in relation to you and your opponent. After these, anything else is pretty much just cosmetic (though networked duels would be nice as well).

Oh, and the Sim is quite good thus far.

Post subject: Re: Thoughts on the future development of the TROSBattleSim.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:38 pm 

ArdentPurple wrote:
...the simulators always seemed to be a tool for resolving combat and teaching the system to new players...

I agree completely with AP here. For me, the primary objective of a TRoS combat simulator is to provide a tool that lets new players see how the combat system works. Our combat system is difficult to grasp for players coming from other RPGs. There are a lot of assumptions for these players to unlearn and a number of new concepts for them to learn. Only so much can be gleaned from the books. The combat simulator lets them see the system in action. It is a great learning tool.

With that in mind I too would like to see the following development stream:

Implement everything in Core with one specific interpretation of the wording or assumption inferred from the wording. Include a help file that details the specific assumption or interpretation that was implemented, and what the alternative interpretations are (which can be found on the forums).

Implement one-on-one human combat without terrain where the combats are conducted on this website and others can view the combat in action. This is the next step of the simulator as a learning tool. There is only so much you can learn about the system by reading and trying random manoeuvers in the simulator from the safety of your own PC. At some point it is very useful to watch two people who are familiar with the system go toe-to-toe. This is particularly true of isolated players -- a group who picks up the game but has nobody in their area to learn from. Once the new player has a good grasp of the rules and has watched a few fights then they can jump in the ring and go toe-to-toe with other new players or with those that have mastered the system. This sort of experimentation and learning of the system is so much easier out-of-game. In-game, people are protective of characters and feel like they have something at stake.

Implement some OBaM, TFoB, and Companion options. At this point the simulator has a configuration screen with radio-button selectors to switch between the mutually exclusive options/rule interpretations.

The Simulator is a worthwhile project. I am very keen to see the development continue. In fact, I would be prepared to contribute financially to this project if that would ensure it's continuation.

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming
Kraftworks for Kids School Holiday Program

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 4:50 pm 

This looks very interesting - and I have to ask from a selfish point of view, would it be possible to include a chat and open-die-rolling section to integrate the battle sim into a more fully fledged Open-RPG-esque program? I am no longer near anyone who plays tabletop stuff so at the moment I'm limited to MSN for all my RP. As you can imagine it makes things slow and its basically stopped me gaming. If this sim can integrate some simple chat functions and die-pool rolling for network/online use it would make TRoS a reality for me again.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:42 pm 

Yeah, a chat function was definitely something I was planning to do once I start tackling network play. Should be rather easy, I hope.
Implementing an open Die Roller is probably no biggy either. I'll keep those in mind.

Not much work going on these days. Real work (tm) got a big hold on me these days, and summer is coming. I'll keep you posted..

Cheers,
Yeshom

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:54 pm 

Yeshom wrote:
Yeah, a chat function was definitely something I was planning to do once I start tackling network play. Should be rather easy, I hope.
Implementing an open Die Roller is probably no biggy either. I'll keep those in mind.

Not much work going on these days. Real work (tm) got a big hold on me these days, and summer is coming. I'll keep you posted..

Cheers,
Yeshom

Implementing a die roller shouldn't be too hard; I'd imagine you'd already have a method available specifically for die rolls, so all you'd need would be a way to access it with a spinner for dice number, a spinner for TN and a button to roll.