It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:22 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: What RPGs did you play before TRoS?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:34 pm 

I discovered D&D (blue book) when I was 14. I read the rules avidly but never had the money to buy the books. Played a couple of games but never managed to get a group happening. After high school found a group who played regularly -- started with Dragonquest and then threw in some Call of Cthulhu every now and then and some Runequest.

Then at 18 started gaming with a couple of Canadian emigres. Started with a game of Traveller but then moved into their favourite game, Chivalry and Sorcery. We stuck with this game, acquiring ICE's Middle-Earth setting as it became available. We added in some MERP/Rolemaster rules and some Harnmaster rules and house-ruled the joins in the systems.

After many years found TRoS -- and Sorceror and Universalis. Became an Indie devotee.

I must confess I love boardgames though. We run a school holiday program for kids aged 9 - 14, and at lunch times we often play a game. Spy Alley is great for the younger kids who are just starting to learn concepts like strategy and planning, but for the older kids Robo Rally is a favourite (we usually house rule that everyone starts with a few weapon mods on their bot). We also play Carcassonne, Settlers of Catan, Ilium, and Shadows over Camelot. I really do enjoy opening a new boardgame...

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming
Kraftworks for Kids School Holiday Program