It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Google Wave
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:41 am 

Have you seen Google Wave yet? Here's a post on its relevance for online RPGs.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/10/google-wave-we-came-we-saw-we-played-dd.ars

Post subject: Re: Google Wave
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:51 pm 

On a related subject: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HvF96LB0i8 :mrgreen:

Anyways, as the article says, it's probably impossible to grasp it unless experienced... and too bad it's invite only. I signed up for the invite though. :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:32 pm 

I have some invites. PM me with your gmail address if interested. :)

Note that the invites don't get sent out the instant I insert them. Also, if you don't have a google account, a regular email address will do, but you'll be prompted to create a google account anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:10 pm 

Hey,

first of all I want to greet all of you - after more than a year of lurking, I finally managed to sign up to trosfans.

I'll make my first post within this Google Wave thread, because I am currently running a game of TRoS/A Song of Ice and Fire on it, and it's really a revelation. Google Wave is now free to sign up to (last I checked), and it's really an awesome platform to run games - you can go from play by post all the way to live play, as desired. Various gadgets and bots help you make it a really smooth experience.

It does help to have at least one guy who knows his way with computers/programming if just to set up a bot to handle all the dice throws (which i'm currently working on), but even without it's a great experience. I would take a real group over the Wave any day, of course, but having had to move to the other part of the country, it's a great way to keep a game running, and has it's own merits. If anyone is interested, I would gladly share the dicelink template for TRoS I have come up with, and if anyone is up to it to make it better, I am all ears. So far, the template handles standard dice rolls, botches, skills, standard attacks and parries (including hit location modifiers), etc. The initiative dice throw can be implemented with a poll gadget that doesn't show its results unless the other guy has voted. What's really missing is of course the damage tables (this would take forever to code, I have made an attempt and it's kind of a mess...), and a slick way to handle maneuvres. Either way, even with TRoS having so many unique, single little rules for this and that, it's a breeze. I would also share my actual play, but it's in German and not much dice rolling so far.

Anyways, enough talking. Have a pleasant week, all of you!

Regards,
Sandor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:01 pm 

Welcome to the boards, Sandor!

Any wave link to your game? Or that engine wave? I didn't really dig into that wave thing as I had no waves to explore.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:09 am 

Hey,

This should link to the dicelink template I made.

https://wave.google.com/wave/#restored:wave:googlewave.com!w%252BotW3YjNIE.1

It has a few examples and is now public - feel free to ask questions there or make a character according to the sheet. For demonstration purposes I made one for Eddard Stark. Maybe some more people will become interested, and the more the template is tuned, the easier it will be to play even for those who are quite technophobic.

And thanks alot for the welcome :)

See you on the wave!

Cheers,
Sandor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:46 pm 

Sandor wrote:
This should link to the dicelink template I made.
That's a bunch of code... I don't think I'm able to contribute much to that... :(

I'm sure some actual play wave link would be much more popular here, but that can be of course very questionable to made a 100% public.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:55 pm 

Hey higgins,

well most RPG waves have "Lurkers welcome", so it wouldn't been too questionable. The thing is, our play is in German, and hasn't been running for long, which means there hasn't been alot of dice rolling yet. So to most it's probably just a "bunch of text" ;)

I will make chapters that are "done" public, depending on what my co-players think, but I don't think I will get to translate it. I know there are some on here who do speak German, so it might still be worthwile.

But by sharing the dicelink template, I can keep updating it and write some documentation, maybe give you guys some training, so that you/we can get some games going as well.

Right now I am in the process of creating the damage tables. Thats a bunch of busy work, but I am almost through with the edged weapons. Only blunt and generic to go ... But that alone could help guys playing online or locally to speed up things - I know there is Brian Leybournes damage table app, but mine will also calculate Shock and Pain using the character's actual willpower. I will also find a good way to add maneuvers, stances and Reach. The problem is that dicelink doesn't have global variables that can be modified. It would be possible to write a true "Gadget" application, that would run like an actual application and could be "multiplayerable". Maybe I can get to that as well, if I can get a hold of the original Combat Simulator source code - I am sure that would speed things up :)

So, for now, I can only offer to guide and explain the dicelink stuff. My players (well 2 of them) aren't code savvy at all either, so I am always optimizing stuff for them so its just "intuitive" to use, forget about the code.

Alright, cheers!
Sandor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:34 am 

I have all the damage tables in a Word document, if you're interested. At least that way you wouldn't have to retype them all. However, I have edited the text to clean it up, so it doesn't match Core exactly. Also, I'm pretty sure there were a couple of places where it was ambiguous, or I just didn't understand, so I changed it or made something up. I'm sure those could be fixed or cleared up easily, though.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:50 am 

Hey,

having that word document would sure help alot. Thanks!

Cheers,
Sandor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:43 pm 

Btw, the google wave template now includes damage tables :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:57 am 

I will try to prepare that Word doc for you soon. As I mentioned, I modified the text in some cases, so it will take me a little time to identify those changes and make sure they actually match the original text. I've been planning to do that in any case, so I can check with other players to see if I'm understanding the damage chart correctly. I've been wanting to offer up the Word doc to the general community anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:03 am 

http://techcrunch.com/2010/08/04/wave-g ... ogle-wave/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:03 pm 

Yes I shed my tears. Google Wave has become an essential part of my workflow, which I will now have to rearrange. And having put so many hours into the dice template for TROS, it's also sad to see it go. Maybe there will be a way to preserve what I have done, and port it over to some other platform.

For now I moved my TROS game over to infrno.net. It's in open Beta and quite nice, a web based virtual gaming table with video chat and bits of social networking (character and campaign management, etc.). This was also done because play by post didn't really fit some of my players. Damn shame.

Cheers,
Sandor