It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:33 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Forum suggestion - general banter
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:50 am 

May I make a suggestion? It would be nice to have a subforum for general banter and chatter, especially for those who can't register over at trosforums.com. It would also help thin out the amount of non-rules related stuff in this forum.

It might also be nice to have a subforum for discussing the fan site--what people want out of it, suggestions, etc. Or at least a contact listing somewhere so we can send a message to the administrators.

Post subject: Re: Forum suggestion - general banter
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:11 am 

I am happy to create the forum as the members want. All I would ask is that we consider carefully those actions that really would kill off trosforums.

On the one hand I think to myself -- well, if the game's designers aren't interested in maintaining a presence there, and if the game's owners aren't interested in maintaining a presence there, well maybe the site no longer serves the purpose for which it was created. As such we should make this site exactly as we see fit and if that means that nobody posts on trosforums anymore -- well, so be it. Social Darwinism in action.

On the other hand I think to myself -- if we duplicate trosforums here, and are actively moderating the site, then it is only natural that anyone who wants to discuss TRoS will post here rather than trosforums. So this site is the death knell for trosforums. With the official forum dead that is a blow to any possible sale of DP -- it is hard to claim a vibrant market for a game when there is no community active on the official site. So maybe this isn't good for the future of TRoS as a viable game.

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming
Kraftworks for Kids School Holiday Program

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:44 pm 

As availability of the game is already low and there seems to be no interest to improve this on the part of the publisher I don't think it will hurt to start an active fan community. I searched for shops to buy TRoS quite some time, emailed the people at Driftwood to no avail and nearly gave up on TRoS despite the fact that it really sounded awesome. It would have been helpful to contact the community, but all I could do was reading some comments about Driftwood being silent for some time now.

Also I don't think, that an official forum does really matter that much in terms of sales. I'm administering the biggest German D&D-Fan site and we are quite some advertisement to the German distributor "Feder & Schwert". They officially gave up on their forums because of some uncertainties regarding the German law and Internet links/offending forum posts. Right now we are somehow doing their forum support, but that may be another situation as the publisher is still actively selling books and is providing us with some form of "semi-officiality" without forums on their side.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:04 am 

I suggested this forum purely for those who are unable to participate in the official forums over at trosforums.com. There have proven to be enough of them that I believe this outlet is justified. Anyone who is worried about sounding DW's death knell or who has some kind of interest in keeping them alive should absolutely post over on the official forums when possible.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:40 am 

Also nothing hurts from cross referanceing the posts.

I know I wont be leaving the official forums, but I will come here because there are already more voices to be heard.

Join me in battle Knave!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:08 am 

These forums are great, and it's awesome to have somewhere I can post about TROS (since I'm a newbie and locked out of the official forums).

I do have a suggestion, or maybe it's just a comment ... the hiearchy of these forums is very complex, and it's a bit intimidating when choosing a category to post under. Also, the large number of forums will tend to make each (except the most popular ones) fairly quiet. I think this has the potential to add to the sense of a dying community. Personally, I'd be much in favor of a consolidated set of folders, or even a single forum. I've been spending a lot of time strolling through the TROS archives over at the Forge, and it's an awesome resource even without organization.

I do realize that clicking on "New Posts" or "Active Posts" will get me the latest stuff, but I am more concerned with perception, and with making sure that new folks are not intimidated by forum choices or by the sense that even if they post no one is listening.

Just my two cents, which is probably worth a lot less than that.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:41 pm 

If you want to discuss material created for TRoS by the community or access that material you'll find it in the Fan Material forum. Otherwise you'll be posting in the General Discussion area. That's about it really -- the other areas are very specific to the commercial products.

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming
Kraftworks for Kids School Holiday Program