It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:51 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Gaming Table
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:57 pm 

I prefer my combat scenes to be played out with figurines in a tactical combat environment. That might be 2d -- perhaps a vinyl hexmat and overhead projector pens -- but my preference is for a full 3d scale representation using Hirst Arts blocks.

The other day on the HA forum a member posted the picture above of his gaming table. The gaming surface is 6' x 4' -- perfect for wargaming. The whole table is around 7' x 5', providing plenty of storage. It even has cup holders. Check it out...

"Gaming Table"

Gaming Table - a coffee table inlaid with Hirst Arts floor tiles

The HA pieces on top of the table are removable of course. The table is so solid I can't imagine anyone hitting it hard enough to knock the pieces over.

The floor tiles are inlaid yet remain removeable -- so a different floor surface can be interchanged (like a sci-fi theme for a different genre of game). The HA floor tiles are either 1" square or 1.5" square -- which suits a variety of RPG games. Here is a close-up of the 1" Cracked Floor Tiles.

"Close Up"

Gaming Table - Close Up

I must admit I am very tempted to make one of these. Initially I thought that a coffee table was too low, but now I think it actually gives a better view of a 3d environment for the players. What do you think?

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming
Kraftworks for Kids School Holiday Program

Post subject: Re: Gaming Table
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:30 am 

That's a very pretty table! I haven't actually ever done miniatures, but I checked out the HA page. Man, that seems a LOT of work. Not just casting the stones, but also painting them. :)

Post subject: Re: Gaming Table
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:06 pm 

higgins wrote:
That's a very pretty table! I haven't actually ever done miniatures, but I checked out the HA page. Man, that seems a LOT of work. Not just casting the stones, but also painting them. :)

Hirst Arts is addictive. Once you start it is very hard to give up. If you have the whole range of moulds then there are more than a thousand different shaped blocks that you can cast -- making for a lot of variety. We have a license to sell the casts, so I spend a fair part of my spare time casting HA blocks.

You can add oxides to the plaster to create coloured blocks. Terracotta, sandstone, granite can all be done without any painting -- for those who don't like painting.

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming
Kraftworks for Kids School Holiday Program