It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:54 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: New web server
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:35 am 

Just a note to let everyone know we changed servers on 1/1/2012. If you notice anything is missing -- threads, posts, functionality -- please let me know.

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming
Kraftworks for Kids School Holiday Program

Post subject: Re: New web server
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:52 pm 

It seems some of the punctuation in recent posts (e.g. Social Combat) broke, due to the switch perhaps?

things such " ' - and the like...

edit: they seem to work now, however, so all is well :) Site seems to be a bit faster as well - good job!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:30 pm 

There is a post in the Edit: Tros Successor section called 'Social Combat', it keeps telling me that there is a new post in it, dated to today, but when I go in, the last post was from an earlier date. If I log off and come back on it does it all over again.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:38 pm 

Yes, it looks like we have an issue with that Social Combat thread. In your browser you could try clearing your cache to see if that fixes CC's issue. I will look at the actual thread in the database and see whether those odd characters are in there -- and change them if they are.

If you spot those characters in other threads please let me know.

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:24 am 

Hey Ian, three things.

1) When I log on using my Computer (as opposed to my phone), this thread does not exist.

2) When I log on using my Computer (as opposed to phone), I am unable to post in any thread or to create a new thread. The error reads as follows:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare phpbb_bump_topic() (previously declared in /home/trosfans/public_html/forum/includes/functions_posting.php:2628) in /home/trosfans/public_html/forum/includes/functions_posting.php on line 2816

-and-

3) I've received word that people are unable to register on the boards due to the server change.

Hope this helps to sought things out, Cheers and God bless.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:48 am 

Crow Caller wrote:
Hey Ian, three things.

Thanks for the feedback CC -- much appreciated.

Crow Caller wrote:
1) When I log on using my Computer (as opposed to my phone), this thread does not exist.

This I cannot explain.

Crow Caller wrote:
2) When I log on using my Computer (as opposed to phone), I am unable to post in any thread or to create a new thread. The error reads as follows:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare phpbb_bump_topic() (previously declared in /home/trosfans/public_html/forum/includes/functions_posting.php:2628) in /home/trosfans/public_html/forum/includes/functions_posting.php on line 2816

This should now be fixed.

Crow Caller wrote:
3) I've received word that people are unable to register on the boards due to the server change.

Does this mean that they see an error when they try to register? Or that they register but nothing happens (that is, I haven't processed the registration because I didn't receive a follow-up email from them)?

Again, thanks for the feedback -- it all helps identify the issues.

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:52 am 

Hi,

While migrating the website to the new server I updated phpBB to the latest version -- a jump from 3.0.7RC1 to 3.0.9.

Overnight 3.0.10 was released, and so today I loaded it onto the site.

Instability has been introduced through the software upgrade process and the mods to the code that existed on the old server. I think this is working better, but again all feedback appreciated.

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:46 am 

Ian.Plumb wrote:
Crow Caller wrote:
Hey Ian, three things.

Thanks for the feedback CC -- much appreciated.

Crow Caller wrote:

This I cannot explain.

Actually I noticed that I can't view any posts made after the New Year. It works fine on my mobile, but as soon as I use my Computer, there's nothing since 2011.

Ian.Plumb wrote:

Crow Caller wrote:

Does this mean that they see an error when they try to register? Or that they register but nothing happens (that is, I haven't processed the registration because I didn't receive a follow-up email from them)?

Again, thanks for the feedback -- it all helps identify the issues.

Regards,

There is an error notice which identifies the Server as the issue.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:26 pm 

I've changed a few things on the backend. If you could purge your browser cache and then use the site, please let me know of any issues you encounter. In particular copy any error messages you see to this thread.

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:07 am 

With the move to the new server I've decided to implement a new look and feel for the site. I will tweak it over the next week to ensure it is legible and useable. All feedback appreciated.

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:57 am 

It might be there but I when I 'View new posts', and get a list I could not see the button next to the last poster to click to that last post?

Allan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:41 am 

aprewett wrote:
It might be there but I when I 'View new posts', and get a list I could not see the button next to the last poster to click to that last post?

That's on the list of changes. There are a few...

Thanks for the feedback though.

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:53 am 

Apart from the missing view last post button mentioned by aprewett there are now no more problems for me. All the posts and threads are there all the time, so I hopefully can stop pestering the administration with mails. :P

Don't know whether the new background is recent or was there right from the launch of trosfans on the new server (I am seeing it for the first time today), but I think it's very nice and TRoS-appropriate. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:01 am 

I noticed that links are no longer colourfully marked, as can be seen with Leonardo's recent link to a Ron Edwards article in the Blade thread. Thought it might help if they were :)

I was all set for googling said article as, without the colour-coding for the link, the post read like an offhand reference to it only. He mentioned having put a link in there a few posts later, however, and so I found this little issue. Hope it helps!

(Also, the collection of smilies here is... shall I say less than extensive? :D I don't know if this is on anypne's list or not, and it is certainly not a vital issue by far. But perhaps along with the other recent changes, a new and/or expanded set of emotions wouldn't hurt? (I'm just looking at a few other sites and seeing stuff that I'd like to see here, too. No biggie, but since you were asking for input... :) )

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:39 am 

One last desperate effort...

Could you let me know if you see any error messages or if you see any threads/posts disappearing or re-appearing.

We're using the base code now (know mods now) and the database has been cleaned of extra tables/fields. In other words, we're as pristine as we can get. So, things should be fine...

Oh, and if you are accessing the site through your mobile phone then you can access your profile and change the theme to prosilver and you'll get a background-free version. It's very simple but that's good for mobile phones.

Thanks for your patience.

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming