It is currently Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:44 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Prep Time for thrown weapons is ridculous.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:32 am 

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:52 pm 

Haha, thanks to both of you. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:23 pm 

Returning to the original topic however, what's the best solution for thrown weapons? Maybe just use the drawing weapons during fight rules? That, and an instant throw with your proficiency minus used dice, or one round for a safe pull and cocking back your arm for a refresh in the next round? I think that sounds good enough.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:35 pm 

I think using the Drawing a Weapon during Combat rules is a good idea, I mean, if you can draw a dagger in virtually no time and the stab your opponent in the face, then why does it take 2 rounds to draw the same dagger from your belt in order to throw it?

Also the time needed to willy the arm is also ridiculess. I think that the thing that should consume time when trying to throw a weapon should be aiming, period.

Drawing a knife and throing it in 1 second is realtively easy for anyone, however drawing the knife and throwing it at the barbarian charging at you is a little harder, or at the rabbit bouncing along.

I mean, here is another example, a warrior can draw his longsword, raise it to Vom Tag (Roof Guard) and perform a Zornhau (Wrathful Strike) all in the same exchange. But if he wants to draw the same sword and willy back his arm to throw it then this will take 3 rounds (4 or 5 seconds), where is the sense in that?

Goose and Gander if you ask me!

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:48 pm 

Crow Caller wrote:
I think using the Drawing a Weapon during Combat rules is a good idea, I mean, if you can draw a dagger in virtually no time and the stab your opponent in the face, then why does it take 2 rounds to draw the same dagger from your belt in order to throw it?
Indeed, my point exactly. :) And I was rather reluctant to use Quick-Draw maneuver for it. Just don't seem natural.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:06 pm 

Crow Caller wrote:
I think using the Drawing a Weapon during Combat rules is a good idea...

Maybe use the TN for drawing the weapon as the base and then increase the TN using the rule of thumb Ian mentions in his Timing Roll mod.

So, I want to draw my dagger out and throw it at the barbarian chasing me. The TN for drawing a dagger is 6 (TFoB, p. 32) and the referee adds 1 or 2 since the barbarian has been described as coming after me for two rounds.

Or if it's a contested terrain roll, the barbarian is rolling TN 6 (base 4 + 2 rounds it would have taken him to get there with his Move score), and I'm rolling against 6 as well. Whoever gets more successes gets to use the rest of their CP in making the first exchange (throwing dagger or cutting my head in half). Kind of sounds like a red/red. Maybe having failed the Timing Roll I could still try to buy initiative? :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:44 pm 

Seanachai wrote:
So, I want to draw my dagger out and throw it at the barbarian chasing me. The TN for drawing a dagger is 6 (TFoB, p. 32) and the referee adds 1 or 2 since the barbarian has been described as coming after me for two rounds.
So, what's the real difference? Why not just juse Fatigue rules when you want to make the length of the combat matter?

Seanachai wrote:
Or if it's a contested terrain roll, the barbarian is rolling TN 6 (base 4 + 2 rounds it would have taken him to get there with his Move score), and I'm rolling against 6 as well. Whoever gets more successes gets to use the rest of their CP in making the first exchange (throwing dagger or cutting my head in half). Kind of sounds like a red/red. Maybe having failed the Timing Roll I could still try to buy initiative? :roll:
As Ian's Timing Roll mod completely ignores all missile weapons preparation times as written in the published rules, I hardly see how the Timing Roll matters to this thread which deals with the core/TFOB. I don't quite get your other suggestions either. :( You're suggesting opposed Terrain Rolls for solving both preparation times and the initiative for close combat thrown weapons? At the same time?

However, your comment reminded me a scene from an oriental wuxia movie (though I can't recall which movie that was), that revolved around unarmed combat while one of the combatants tried to unsheathe her sword while her opponent always stopped the attempts of doing so. So, yeah, since Terrain Rolls can be opposed, this can very well be applied to drawing weapons as well! :)