It is currently Thu May 28, 2020 4:39 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Pommel Strike and Weapon Brawling
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:28 pm 

Am I the only one thinking a ST+1 DR for a pommel strike (equals a full-force swung mace) is too much? And the advantage it offers with a "hand" reach when closing up with shorter weapons is already sufficient a reason to use such a maneuver when half swording and the like are not available?

Maybe is it reasonable to either:

- Drop the DR for the pommel strike to ST or ST-1 (as a full-blown kick)
- Use instead of the weapon proficiency the pugilism/brawling proficiency, actually lowering the total CP available for the exchange unless the PC has a proficiency level with P/B on par with his weapon prof.
- Both.

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Pommel Strike and Weapon Brawling
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:54 pm 

Hello Tom!

I have never actually seen pommel strike used in any of my games, other than as a result of the Counter maneuver. Here, damage is ST bludgeoning, which does seem a bit too high when I think about it now. I imagine the pommel strike to be about as devastating as a punch with a decent knuckleduster, that ist ST-1.

Personally I would however not require use of the Pugilism proficiency. From what I've seen in ancient fight manuals the pommel strike seems to have been a perfectly common technique of swordfighting and should thus imo be part of the various sword proficiencies.

Post subject: Re: Pommel Strike and Weapon Brawling
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:20 am 

Grettir wrote:
Hello Tom!

I have never actually seen pommel strike used in any of my games, other than as a result of the Counter maneuver. Here, damage is ST bludgeoning, which does seem a bit too high when I think about it now. I imagine the pommel strike to be about as devastating as a punch with a decent knuckleduster, that ist ST-1.

Personally I would however not require use of the Pugilism proficiency. From what I've seen in ancient fight manuals the pommel strike seems to have been a perfectly common technique of swordfighting and should thus imo be part of the various sword proficiencies.

Hey Michael!

Thanks for te input. I'd patch the "pommel strike" maneuver with ST-1 DR bludgeoning and let it be used with the same weapon proficiency used to activate it. Seems reasonable. Half-swording still remains the best!

;)