It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:28 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Vagaries.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:51 am 

Hey guys, I was ceating a Character as a Thoguth experiment, purchasing for him True Faith (from WoD), Voices (Companion), and Sorcery when I cam to a delima.

Some of the vagaries that I want to purchase, I only want access to one group effects, for instance the Conquer Vagarie, I only want access to Implant. Do I have to purchase the whole Vagarie? Seemingly, yes.

Which brings me to the next question, how would you houserule it so someone can just purchase 1 aspect of a vagarie??

Also, lets go the other way for a second, would making Sorcerers have to purchase each aspect of a vagarie rather than just the vagarie help rein them in a bit? For instance, instead of spending 3pts on Conquer, you would have to spend 3pts Implant, 3pts Control, and 3pts Regress.

Any and all thoughts are welcome.

Cheers.

PS: I really like the character I've created in my Thought experiment, too bad he would cost 86pts in our 60pts game (yes, that's right, we're still using Point Buy, but we've lowered Starting Points to 60).

Post subject: Re: Vagaries.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:37 pm 

In all honesty, with the way Core magic works I very much doubt you'll ever be able to "rein it in," so to speak. It isn't designed to be on a par with people not using magic; it's designed to be very bloody powerful. It was also designed with priority pick in mind; wherein you'd have to screw yourself royally in another area to even be capable of magic; not to mention that unless you wanted to be helpless unless given time and space to use your magic, you'd have to split your proficiency points between vagaries and proficiencies. Even with a priority of A in proficiencies and only 4 points in one weapon, that would be a maximum of ten points between the vagaries, and that would reduce the actual die pools you'd get to use because you'd have a C at maximum for attributes.

Magic is so very potent precisely because you have to give up so much to be able to use it at all, let alone well; 12 points out of 70 or even 60 are a small price to pay as compared with taking a very high priority in something you'd normally take as an F; not to mention that in point buy you can theoretically buy yourself up to 3 levels in all vagaries; something that's impossible in priority pick (five at 2 and four at 1 is the best you can get in that for all of them). You'd have few if any skills, and two or three major flaws that are required to pay for decent attributes, but you could do it.

To put it another way, priority pick reins in magic users by forcing them to make sacrifices in other areas and placing a limit on how high their vagaries can be. Point buy removes the requirement of those sacrifices and thus makes it easy to become ridiculously powerful through magic. As such, if you really want to use the magic system as it's written in Core, I'd suggest enforcing priority pick, or else making it 3 points per level of a vagary instead of 3 points increase a vagary to maximum, and increasing the point cost of being capable of magic in the first place to something particularly stiff; possibly as much as 20 points.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:01 am 

If I remember correctly, some of the groups within a Vagary don't make much sense without the others, but you've probably looked at that possibility already. Making them purchase each group separately would definitely rein them in to some degree, since they'd need to spend many more points to become powerful.

You could houserule it so that the first point spent buys one group within a vagary at level 1. The next point buys another group at level 1 and one group at level 2. The next point buys the last group at level 1, another group at level 2, and one group at level 3, etc. Just an idea, not sure how much sense it makes. :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:21 am 

Hmm, okay new question, using Ian's Primitive Talents system, what TN's would you assign to spells trying to replicate the various levels of the Vagaries?

Cheers!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:21 pm 

Crow Caller wrote:
Hmm, okay new question, using Ian's Primitive Talents system, what TN's would you assign to spells trying to replicate the various levels of the Vagaries?

The spells in the PT doc were geared towards the Race C priority pick; the idea being in this game world magic was more common than in Weyrth, so more people had access to some kind of magic, but they were really an order of magnitude lesser in ability than the B and A picks who had access to the full magic system. So the intent was that the low TN effects were really simple abilities, hardly distinguishable from the upper limit of mundane human capability. The higher TN effects were maybe at a level equal to 1 level in a Vagary, while the highest might combine two or more Vagaries at level 1.

A well developed PT character should not be anywhere near the capability of a beginning mage.

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming
Kraftworks for Kids School Holiday Program

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:18 pm 

Just pondering the 'buy one out of the three things you can do with each Vagary' idea. I would suggest something like buying each whole Vagary is the normal cost, but to buy one third of it costs half the normal cost. That way, yes you can start off with only the parts you really want at beginning, but it screws you over later when your character realizes 'damn, I should have learned the whole thing like my Master told me to!' As to buy an entire Vagary piecemeal like that winds up being 1.5x normal cost. It rewards planning & patience, which seem to be desirable virtues for sorcerers in my mind.