It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:24 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Arcane Combat System
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 3:01 am 

pbj44 wrote:
This sounds like a lot of fun and I could see a great deal of variety in the way an SoP is constructed. For example, the elements of Fire and Water combined yielding a dense fog throughout an area when combined to a level 5 intensity. I like where you are going with this!

The SoP rules have to work whether the wizard is casting it as a spell or whether it is formed arcanely by the arcane flow contest. The arcane combat itself ensures that the SoP becomes useful defensively as the rounds progress but when cast as a spell that progression is absent. The reinforcement rules make the SoP mundanely defensive from the outset.

I'm giong to have to spend some time on this -- I'm looking at getting all the rules into a single document. But in the meantime I'll continue with the broad outlines.

Earth -- clearly it should be possible to create a defensive earthwork around the SoP. How we correlate the different levels to the defensive value of the earthwork -- well, that remains to be seen. If only TFoB had a real mass combat system it might have included rules for fortifications...

Water -- this would slow down a creature trying to get through the SoP. It would also give a defense against natural fire.

Combinations:

Fire + Water = Steam. Very painful, armour-penetrating burns.

Fire + Earth = Lava. Defensive barrier as well as wound inflicting.

Fire + Air = Intense fire. Double the damage of normal fire per level. At level five, conflagration, setting alight anything combustible within 20' of the SoP. Lots of radiant heat...

Water + Earth = either Mud or Quicksand.

Water + Fire (Reversed) = Ice. A physical defense plus boyant.

Water + Air = nothing useful that I can think of!

Earth + Air = Bomb. The air is compressed within an earth "cannister". Penetrating the cannister causes the air to burst forth, creating shrapnel.

This bomb thing can be used in different ways with different combinations.

Anyway, lots of possibilities. One thing though -- the elements are attached to the SoP and the SoP is not moveable once it is reinforced. If the wizard simply has to move the elemental reinforcement is lost, completely dissolved and removed from the gaming environment. So fog, for example, would stick to the SoP making targetting difficult for those outside and those within.

More later.

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming
Kraftworks for Kids School Holiday Program

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 3:17 am 

Ian.Plumb wrote:

Hail? Cyclone?

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:07 am 

Quote:

Hmm...Water could be compressed by air to some very lethal power levels or could make a very effective cushioning layer over the SoP, capable of absorbing huge shocks...such as a boulder being flung at it. The combination is also makes for superior air filtration...

This is fun Ian!

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:11 am 

Quote:
So fog, for example, would stick to the SoP making targetting difficult for those outside and those within.

LOL! Unless the caster within the SoP had previously cast a FOG vision spell of some kind!