It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:21 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Codex Arcana
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:15 pm 

At last the initial draft of the alternate magic system is complete!

This is PJs system and it incorporates the Arcane Combat System.

It is a 6mb download:

http://www.trosfans.com/downloads/Codex%20Arcana

We are working on the next draft of the document and will incorporate any feedback we receive on this version.

Enjoy!

Griffin Grove Gaming
Kraftworks for Kids School Holiday Program

Post subject: Re: Codex Arcana
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:54 pm 

Wow, this document sure does look awesome! I haven't read it yet, but I just want to point out that the trosfans.com link on the credits page directs you to codexmartialis.com for some reason.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:55 pm 

higgins wrote:
Wow, this document sure does look awesome! I haven't read it yet, but I just want to point out that the trosfans.com link on the credits page directs you to codexmartialis.com for some reason.

Thanks! I am looking forward to everybody's feedback on the mechanics. I'll get the link sorted in the next draft. I'll also include links to all of the artists galleries in the next version.

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:10 pm 

Very nice layout indeed! I spotted a couple minor typos. I'll put them here for your next draft.

Page 7 has "(Table)" and "(Chart)". I'm assuming we're getting some visual aids here?

Page 9 under the "Stealing ..." section, the "a" in "all" is cut off by the picture.

Page 13 under the "Node Stones" section, a capitalization typo: "...., Also called".

Thanks for all the work PJ and Ian!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:31 am 

Quote:
Very nice layout indeed! I spotted a couple minor typos. I'll put them here for your next draft.

Page 7 has "(Table)" and "(Chart)". I'm assuming we're getting some visual aids here?

Page 9 under the "Stealing ..." section, the "a" in "all" is cut off by the picture.

Page 13 under the "Node Stones" section, a capitalization typo: "...., Also called".

Thanks for all the work PJ and Ian!

Hi Seanachai!

Thanks for the read-through, this is exactly what is needed! Yep, there are a number of charts, examples, and notes to be added that will help out. This posted first draft will hopefully expose any major typos and mechanic bugs. Delays in the project have been largely due to me. Ian has been very patient with me as I pushed version after version at him. :oops: The entirety was conceived as a romantic alternative to the core "science" based rules. The sorcerers in my group have enjoyed weaving nodes of power into spells, and having a player tell me "I am chain casting Magzul through the entire circle of dominance." is pretty evocative to me!

Enjoy,

Phil

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:00 am 

The document sure does look impressive. I’ll have a thorough read-through today or tomorrow and report then back with feedback on the mechanics. Until that time thanks Ian and of course Phil!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:21 pm 

Grettir wrote:
The document sure does look impressive. I’ll have a thorough read-through today or tomorrow and report then back with feedback on the mechanics. Until that time thanks Ian and of course Phil!

Let's hope it isn't all glitz and no substance! ;)

For myself I like PJ's system. Hence I was prepared to devote some time to helping present it to the community. To me, this doesn't replace SatF -- this isn't an attempt to produce a framework that can be tweaked in order to suit any gaming environment (IMO). What it does is suit a particular type of game really well -- and it is a good alternative to Core for that style of gaming environment.

This draft doesn't include everything in PJ's system. I wanted to produce a reasonable amount of the material with images so that I could show him how the text flowed. Then we thought we'd just show the community so we could get some feedback while preparing the next version.

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:34 pm 

Quote:
To me, this doesn't replace SatF -- this isn't an attempt to produce a framework that can be tweaked in order to suit any gaming environment (IMO). What it does is suit a particular type of game really well -- and it is a good alternative to Core for that style of gaming environment.

LoL! Okay, I admit it, you have me curious! What style of game do you think that this system well supports?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:55 pm 

Quote:
To me, this doesn't replace SatF -- this isn't an attempt to produce a framework that can be tweaked in order to suit any gaming environment (IMO). What it does is suit a particular type of game really well -- and it is a good alternative to Core for that style of gaming environment.

pbj44 wrote:
LoL! Okay, I admit it, you have me curious! What style of game do you think that this system well supports?

When I think of "High Fantasy" in gaming terms I think of a gaming environment where being a wizard is in large part an academic pursuit. There is much to learn, years of apprenticeship, before the first low-level effects are mastered. Wizards form enclaves, pool their knowledge, and seek to increase their knowledge of the great arcane mysteries. In such an environment magical items may not be common but they will be powerful artifacts.

In Codex Arcana the mage casts through nodes for even minor spells. To me this implies a high degree of organization on the mage's part -- learning how to find a node, learning how to control the node, learning how to cast through the node, and so on. This is all good stuff and, I think, suits the above description of High Fantasy. I think Codex Arcana is very well suited to a game world where magecraft is quite an academic discipline, at least during the apprenticeship, and I think it would be well suited to a game world where mages are organised into small groups/secret societies/lodges.

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:51 pm 

Quote:
I think Codex Arcana is very well suited to a game world where magecraft is quite an academic discipline, at least during the apprenticeship, and I think it would be well suited to a game world where mages are organised into small groups/secret societies/lodges.

Hmm...I had not given it much thought, but I think that you are pretty much on target. Sorcerers in my campaign do get early training from some form of mentor and I do in fact have some small groups and secret societies in my setting.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:16 pm 

F E E D B A C K ! ! !

Draft 0.2 will be prepared over this weekend and the next. If I can get your feedback ASAP I can incorporate it in the new layout.

Many thanks!

Griffin Grove Gaming

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:42 pm 

Thanks for the reminder! :)

In addition, if the spell is also “botched” (no successes and two “ones” rolled) the sorcerer receives one wound level of energy damage per power level of the node.
Underline mine. Hm, so, as the level of energy is 1d10, the sorcerer has more than 60% chance of getting... well, not quite killed, but 20-WP pain is quite gruesome.

Stealing Elemental Nodes
All sorcerers can detect the use of elemental magic in their vicinity.

Underlined character missing.

Okay, I'll just stop at this point and get it off my chest. One thing that makes the document very hard to digest is a dreadful lack of examples and glossary. I understand that this is a draft and it seems to be a very through one, but since it introduces quite a bit new vocabulary (aligning, backlash, casting through, etc), then by the page 11, my head was already swimming with new vocabulary that I wasn't even quite aware of what those words mean, let alone be proficient in using the jargon. Some of the things were cleared, but indeed, a glossary would be extremely helpful in digesting all that information.

As a general feedback, I quite like the idea that a wizard doesn't keep a list of his spells, but of his nodes and what those are capable of doing. Intersing stuff. :)

So, as little feedback as I gave, I hope it helps you guys along. :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:05 pm 

Many thanks for the feedback Higgins!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:30 pm 

higgins wrote:
So, as little feedback as I gave, I hope it helps you guys along. :oops:

Many thanks indeed -- very helpful. One thing that is difficult to gauge is familiarity. When you've stared at a document for weeks it all seems terribly familiar -- so a reminder that the familiarity isn't universal is welcome.

A glossary, an index, the diagrams, and the examples will be in the next draft.

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:21 am 

Excellent! Will be looking forward to it! :)