It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 2:38 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Lesser Magic as a Spiritual Attribute.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:52 pm 

Hey Guys,

In the Historical Magic System thread, there was a lot of talk about Magic actually having been fairly common, in such ways that people might utter a spell in a similar way that someone else might utter a prayer.

This got me thinking, although by no means a fix for the current system nor a system unto itself, it could be kind of cool to add Magic as a Spiritual Attribute, in a similar way that Faith is.

Whereas a devout Knight my call upon "the Blessed Lady" before charging into battle, a less noble character might make a blood pact with some "Dark Denizen".

Whether the added dice from their SA's actually stem from "the Blessed Lady" or the "Dark Denizen" or whether or not it comes purely from the Character's Faith need never be disclosed.

Infact it would not even be necesary for a new SA to be created, one would simply use Faith (Magic).

Although I like this I would love to see it intergrated into a fully fledged Historical Magic System.

Any Thoughts?

Cheers & God Bless!

Post subject: Re: Lesser Magic as a Spiritual Attribute.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:03 pm 

Well, since the SAs are in practice used to tell the referee what interests the player in a game, how do you see it working?

I think it would make more sense to simply give everyone the ability to wield magic and then have the SAs direct how the ability is used, sort of like I here suggested. I think that linked post has quite a good foundation for such lesser magic that's in line with how it worked in history... all it needs is a formula for generating TN and a set conditions and examples of what could be done with that dice pool without leaving the historical context.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:31 pm 

This is an interesting idea, Crow Caller. I know that my fellow players over here really like the pact system in 4e D&D. There are so many different flavors now to the Warlock concept.

Spiritual Attribute "Pact" might be pretty cool. You might come up with some perhaps some consequences for using that SA to level up your character. And of course whatever wicked entity with which you have forged a pact will probably play your other SAs against one another.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:29 pm 

Crow Caller wrote:
Any Thoughts?

Well, higgins already voiced my biggest concern:
higgins wrote:
Well, since the SAs are in practice used to tell the referee what interests the player in a game, how do you see it working?

Apart from that, you misunderstood the thread about historical magic. You say
Crow Caller wrote:
(…) people might utter a spell in a similar way that someone else might utter a prayer.

That’s a wrong and misleading way of putting it. Before the cultural background we have been talking about in the thread, magic isn’t similar to prayer, magic is prayer. If you want to think in historical terms of about pre 1200 AD, the opposition arcane magic – divine magic simply doesn’t exist, and if you want to base a setting or a game mechanic upon it, faith in gods and faith in magic are exactly the same thing. In a setting drawing upon the worldviews of the afore mentioned period, Faith (Magic) = Faith (Deity), so no new SA is needed at all.