It is currently Thu May 28, 2020 4:20 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Clarification on when SA's fire.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:51 am 

Hey guys, a situation came up in last nights game, where my Character engaged combat (a situation which was 99% likely to get him killed) with an NPC he thought (as in trully believed) was working for the guy he has Passion: Hatred for. So we were wondering does his Passion: Hate fire in this circumstance or not?

Is there a rules clarification on this?

What are people's reasonings behind their answers?

Cheers!

Post subject: Re: Clarification on when SA's fire.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:04 am 

Crow Caller wrote:
Hey guys, a situation came up in last nights game, where my Character engaged combat (a situation which was 99% likely to get him killed) with an NPC he thought (as in trully believed) was working for the guy he has Passion: Hatred for. So we were wondering does his Passion: Hate fire in this circumstance or not?

You're looking for a logical reason from the character's perspective as to why the SA fires or doesn't fire. Herein lies the problem.

The SAs are about what the player wants. They fire in the scenes that the referee has constructed around the player's relevant SAs. So the question is this: does this scene that the referee has created revolve around this character's Passion SA? If so, then the SA fires. If not then the SA doesn't fire.

It seems logical to me, from what you have described, that the referee wants you to engage in this scene. Therefore, the SA fires.

That's how I see it. No doubt others will think differently.

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming
Kraftworks for Kids School Holiday Program

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:48 am 

I'd say yes. If a person with Conscience sees a lone person being attacked by three, he'd try to come to the outnumbered person's aid, yes? The SA would fire, because the character is risking life and limb to help someone who seems to genuinely need it. That the outnumbered person was attempting to poison the town's water supply only comes into it if the PC is aware that that is the case.

Same in this instance; SA's fire based on the the character's belief of what the situation is, not on the facts. If a character attempts to kill someone he believes works for someone he hates, whether or not that is in fact the case has no bearing on whether or not the SA fires.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:15 am 

I'll also say yes, it should fire. Ian has brought up all there is to say from a game- and scenario-design viewpoint, but even if you look at the in-game rationale, something probably more important to the way you play, the answer would be a yes, as long as your character believes that overcoming the enemy would on some level weaken, disturb, vex or disrupt the hated NPC. So I'm with Hector. If you like to treat SAs as a psychological boost of resolve and your character experiences this boost, it doesn't matter wether he is actually mistaken in being thus resolved.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:02 am 

Cool, thanks guys, the fact that two different perspectives on how SA's are used came to the same conclusion makes me feel better in my stance that it should fire.

Grettir, you understand perfectly how I like to run my SA's, as personal resolve on the Characters behalf, thats not to say that they are not also used as tools for Players to tell the GM what they want from the story. I think it all goes nicely hand in hand personally.

I very much see things the way Hector does.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:04 am 

Add me to the "yes crowd". :) If in-game motivations come into play (even if in your case, believing ins something that might actually not be so), I'd totally go for firing SAs.

Last edited by higgins on Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:05 am 

higgins wrote:
Add me to the "yes crowd". :)

The more the merrier :P

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:31 pm 

Yup. me too.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:36 am 

Jake Norwood wrote:
Yup. me too.

Well then it's official ;)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:25 am 

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:29 pm 

Ack! And people wonder why I fear to post, LOL.