It is currently Thu May 28, 2020 4:21 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Insight into Insight...
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:48 pm 

Hey guys, I didn't know if this should be in this forum, but figured it was probably this one or the Ref's one. In the end this one, won out.

So, Insight, that wonderful attribute that builds up throughout play whenever you spend SA's to improve your character, and when your character is ganked (yes ganked! I've been watching Supernatural :P) you use it to build your next character. Thus making your next character a little tougher than a baseline character.

So, my question is, can you save up Insight? As in, say you play a character and get 30 insight, then he gets ganked. Do you have to use the Insight on the next character, or can it carry over and continue to build up, so that say, after five or six characters you can spend the insight to build a much tougher starting character, with much more wealth or skills or whatever it is you are going for??

Is this doable? Is it supported by, or contradicted by the rules?

Any and all insight into the way that Insight works is appreciated.

Cheers & God Bless!

Post subject: Re: Insight into Insight...
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:13 pm 

Crow Caller wrote:
So, my question is, can you save up Insight?

When you play a game that bases its character development on levels then there's not much more disappointing that losing a character that you've painstakingly built up to a particular level. It can take months or years of real time to reach that level. When new characters start at first level it can be discouraging, a "Do I want to keep playing?" moment.

TRoS addresses this issue be recognising the time and effort that a player devotes to creating a character and developing that character in-game. The player is rewarded with Insight points which can be spent on a subsequent character during character generation.

This reward is the player's; it recognises that without their contribution the game would be very different. There is no logical reason for a subsequent character to exit character generation with more capability than a character created without the benefit of Insight points. As the reward belongs to the Player it seems entirely appropriate to me for the player to opt to bank those Insight points. The player may have a particular character concept in mind that cannot be executed without more Insight points -- I can't imagine anyone at the gaming table wanting to block that character by saying that all Insight points must be spent on the very next character created.

In the end, Insight accrues slowly and its benefits are relatively small -- I don't think it is a big issue to allow a player to save up his points in the hope of being able to create a particular uber-character straight out of char gen.

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming
Kraftworks for Kids School Holiday Program

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:06 am 

Hey Ian, thanks for the reply, you pretty much nailed my thoughts on the subject. Though there is still the matter of what the rules actually say about it. I know, rules, soo annoying, but its not for me its for on of the players at my table.

Now the only place I've found that deals with Insight is pg 69 (68?) of TRoS MRB, and it neither confirms or contradicts the whole Insight banking, atleast not as far as I can tell.

If that what to be the only rules used for the ruling, then it would simply come down to a Judgement call, in which case I see no reason for banking not to work.

So, is pg 69 (68?) the only mention of how Insight works?

Cheers & God Bless!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:14 am 

Insight, The Companion, Page 50.Whenever a character spends Spiritual Attribute points, the number of points spent is added to the character's Insight tally, as outlined on TRoS, p.68. If the character dies, the current Insight level denotes bonus priority picks or extra points for creating a new character.

Notice how it doesn't specify "your next character" or "the next character" but only "a new character." In my opinion this means you are at liberty to choose which future character you spend those points upon.

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming
Kraftworks for Kids School Holiday Program