It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:52 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Round by Round Combat Resolution: Timing Discussion
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:58 pm 

Ok,

I am working on the non-round by round system.
I and one of my more opinionated gamers have had in depth discussion. The system could work for us, provided I am careful with descriptions.

ie: not indicate a distance from a battle that is unreachable (realistically) in 1 round but actually give a TN to attempt to reach.

(he is willing to accept, 'random' TNs provided the action intended makes sense with-in the confines of the characters doing them. No sprinting faster than olympic sprinters and so on, Unless of course something supernatural is involved.)

I do not however like the idea that 'I' as senechal decide when someone has the lime light. It is too much like a director in a film. I prefer to present the scene and let the characters play it out, instead of me dictating the 'star' at the time.

However, this may too be a non-issue, provided we are all on the same page.

We shall see.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:50 pm 

Slymoon wrote:
The system could work for us, provided I am careful with descriptions.

ie: not indicate a distance from a battle that is unreachable (realistically) in 1 round but actually give a TN to attempt to reach.
If I get what you mean, this is the ultimate silliness. Why work with flexible amount of limelight (everybody's limelight amounts for different number of rounds) and then demand of resolving an action in a single round? In a single limelight? Of course! But why on Earth in single round? :?

Slymoon wrote:
he is willing to accept, 'random' TNs provided the action intended makes sense with-in the confines of the characters doing them.
Random? I don't get it, sorry. :(

Slymoon wrote:
I do not however like the idea that 'I' as senechal decide when someone has the lime light. It is too much like a director in a film. I prefer to present the scene and let the characters play it out, instead of me dictating the 'star' at the time.
You take it too harshly. It's really no different than your standard D&D initiative, except the order of actions isn't determined by a dice roll... and it's more flexible. Stop thinking you must somehow force something on your players or dictating. Ask all the players what they will try to accomplish in the next couple of moments and then direct the scene as it makes sense.

Say, if you have a character who wants to give order to volley fire and another character who wants to charge the remaining opponents on his horse after the volley... does it make sense to:

a) roll for initiative
b) let's say the charger character wins
c) charger character says he readies his action to charge
d) then there's the commander character's turn to act, he shouts "TIRER!" and the volley is resolved
e) charger character charges

or

a) simply resolve the volley first
b) then have the other character charge

Both achieved mechanically the same thing, but one was clunky and other was cinematic.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:29 pm 

higgins wrote:
Slymoon wrote:
The system could work for us, provided I am careful with descriptions.

If I get what you mean, this is the ultimate silliness. Why work with flexible amount of limelight (everybody's limelight amounts for different number of rounds) and then demand of resolving an action in a single round? In a single limelight? Of course! But why on Earth in single round? :?

In this case say for example, an npc wants to reach his companion in combat to make this a 2 vs 1 situation. The NPCs intention is to do this as soon as possible hence I allow round to pass prior to the npc arriving.
If I described an actually distance in numbers and err to say that it was possible and gave a high TN to reflect the improbablility of the task. The player(s) hay disagree saying it is physically impossible and their intention was to have the first duel over prior to the npc arriving. If I do not give numbers and just describe, "the npc appears able to reach you very soon." that would be more accepted.

higgins wrote:
Slymoon wrote:
he is willing to accept, 'random' TNs provided the action intended makes sense with-in the confines of the characters doing them.
Random? I don't get it, sorry. :(

Random as in, I the senechal have chosen a TN based on what I feel is applicable. As far as the players are concerned, I may have added TN modifiers from the slick leaves, log over a stream or so on that I might have not previously described. If for example the description was not necessary until this particular action was intended.

higgins wrote:
Slymoon wrote:
You take it too harshly. It's really no different than your standard D&D initiative, except the order of actions isn't determined by a dice roll... and it's more flexible. Stop thinking you must somehow force something on your players or dictating. Ask all the players what they will try to accomplish in the next couple of moments and then direct the scene as it makes sense.

Say, if you have a character who wants to give order to volley fire and another character who wants to charge the remaining opponents on his horse after the volley... does it make sense to:

a) roll for initiative
b) let's say the charger character wins
c) charger character says he readies his action to charge
d) then there's the commander character's turn to act, he shouts "TIRER!" and the volley is resolved
e) charger character charges

or

a) simply resolve the volley first
b) then have the other character charge

Both achieved mechanically the same thing, but one was clunky and other was cinematic.

True, very slick and elegant, I just have to work through my questions and get my arms around the whole system.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:22 pm 

Slymoon wrote:
If I described an actually distance in numbers and err to say that it was possible and gave a high TN to reflect the improbablility of the task. The player(s) hay disagree saying it is physically impossible and their intention was to have the first duel over prior to the npc arriving. If I do not give numbers and just describe, "the npc appears able to reach you very soon." that would be more accepted.
Ah, yes... makes sense. But where's the problem then? :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:18 pm 

No problem, just a comment. :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:30 am 

Hello,
So I have been reading this thread and it was an eye opener.
At the end of page one a poster mentioned;
'use Terrain and Timing rolls as outlined on this board'.
Being lazy, could someone very helpfull point me in the right direction. Please.

Allan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:51 pm 

I think Michael meant the Timing Roll mod that became a huge discussion spanning over multiple threads several pages long and had many misunderstandings. Here's the big thread: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=383

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:34 pm 

higgins wrote:
I think Michael meant the Timing Roll mod that became a huge discussion spanning over multiple threads several pages long and had many misunderstandings. Here's the big thread: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=383

Possibly the most discussed subject on this forum -- terrain rolls and the operation of time within the combat scene.

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming
Kraftworks for Kids School Holiday Program

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:47 pm 

Thanks will have a look.

Allan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:57 pm 

aprewett wrote:
Being lazy, could someone very helpfull point me in the right direction. Please.

There is now a thread called The Terrain Roll Index. In there you will find all the threads I could find that deal with the subject of terrain and timing in a combat scene. If there are more, feel free to add them to that thread.

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming
Kraftworks for Kids School Holiday Program