It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 11:27 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Related: Movment, Terrain Roll, Visual Aids
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:07 pm 

Ian,

This is a related thread to what I have already posted and toward the "Movement speed" thread.

I know you are passionate about TroS I know you are very interested and active regarding WorldWorks Games for example. Or at least you were at one time.

Since WWG is really focused and opposite to TRoS in visual aids, how do you resolve the two. Or do you not use the two items together?

Thanks,

Post subject: Re: Related: Movment, Terrain Roll, Visual Aids
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:48 am 

Slymoon wrote:
I know you are passionate about TroS I know you are very interested and active regarding WorldWorks Games for example. Or at least you were at one time.

Since WWG is really focused and opposite to TRoS in visual aids, how do you resolve the two. Or do you not use the two items together?

Ah, I see you want the whole story... ;)

First things first. When TRoS Core was being written Jake was encouraged to put in the stuff about using miniatures -- movement rates, ranges, and so on. By the time he had released the game -- the game was two years in development -- he had stopped using minis during the combat scene. Why? Because the added detail slowed the resolution of the scene significantly.

Using straight Core with its abstract representation of the combat environment a combat between four or five PCs and a suitable number of NPC opponents should resolve in around twenty to thirty minutes when your players are familiar with the system. When you add minis and a tactical representation of the combat environment you are looking at doubling or tripling that time. In terms of story this adds no value and badly affects scene pacing. So Jake would use the minis to show the opening of the scene and then revert to the abstract combat environment with its terrain rolls.

So, when someone new comes upon TRoS and our forum I do my best to encourage them to use the system as intended by the designer before looking at modifying the way the game is played. It is important that everyone understands why the game is built the way it is -- so that when you modify it, you understand what you are losing as well as what you are hoping to gain.

Having said that, I want tactical combat resolution rather than abstract. However, as I have a Narrativist focus rather than a Simulationist focus, I still want my combat scenes to resolve within half an hour (in fact I want all my scenes to resolve within half an hour).

So -- as part of EoS -- I am working on providing mechanics that allow players to use minis with all the core combat options while still resolving the scene quickly. I hope to have a sample combat with shots of the minis and an explanation of the combat as it unfolds by the end of the year.

I like WWG but in the end I prefer Hirst Arts terrain pieces. It's a close call though. :)

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming
Kraftworks for Kids School Holiday Program