It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Help For New TRoS GM
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:38 pm 

I have never played nor GMed TRoS, but now that I have read it through I really want to try it. I can see in other places where upcoming things such as Blade of the Iron Throne are discussed, and I have also seen mention of EoS, which I gather is Enigma of Steel, but I cannot find a pdf and I am unsure if it exists in book form.

My question is this. As a new GM, which version should I use? Where can I get other versions? Where can I find good house rules? Which things are chokepoints, like what might I consider changing in the system? Which of the supplements offer good expansions?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Post subject: Re: Help For New TRoS GM
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:01 pm 

tunglashr wrote:
I have never played nor GMed TRoS, but now that I have read it through I really want to try it. I can see in other places where upcoming things such as Blade of the Iron Throne are discussed, and I have also seen mention of EoS, which I gather is Enigma of Steel, but I cannot find a pdf and I am unsure if it exists in book form.

Blade will be out by Christmas. EoS was a discussion, not a solution.

tunglashr wrote:
My question is this. As a new GM, which version should I use?

If you want to play genuine Swords and Sorcery, then wait for Blade. If you want to play any other fantasy genre, then use TRoS.

tunglashr wrote:
Where can I find good house rules? Which things are chokepoints, like what might I consider changing in the system? Which of the supplements offer good expansions?

EoS contains threads on all of the issues that exist with TRoS -- and, usually, several ways of addressing them. There is no coherent whole, though.

House rules are discussed in the subforums below this one. For combat issues, try:

viewforum.php?f=23

In terms of the expansions, they are all useful. My personal order of usefulness:

TFoB
OBaM
The Companion

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming
Kraftworks for Kids School Holiday Program

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:27 pm 

Quote:

Thanks for the clarification on this. I have tried reading some of the discussion pages, but without context it was hard for me to grasp, it seemed like they were referring to a text.

Quote:
If you want to play genuine Swords and Sorcery, then wait for Blade. If you want to play any other fantasy genre, then use TRoS.

I was extremely excited for Blade when I first heard of it, but after reading that whole thread about it my excitement almost completely evaporated. I still want to check out the system, but the genre conventions sounded really bad to me.

Quote:
EoS contains threads on all of the issues that exist with TRoS -- and, usually, several ways of addressing them. There is no coherent whole, though.

House rules are discussed in the subforums below this one. For combat issues, try:

viewforum.php?f=23

In terms of the expansions, they are all useful. My personal order of usefulness:

TFoB
OBaM
The Companion

Regards,

What is OBaM? I dont have that one. I will do my best to put more effort into the forums now that I understand the Enigma thing. Also, has anyone does TRoS conversions to different settings, and if so, is there a collection of them somewhere?

Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:36 am 

Quote:

tunglashr wrote:
I have tried reading some of the discussion pages, but without context it was hard for me to grasp, it seemed like they were referring to a text.

For the most part simply the ramblings of people very familiar with the game and style of gaming it supports -- and with each other's positions on things.

Quote:

tunglashr wrote:
I was extremely excited for Blade when I first heard of it, but after reading that whole thread about it my excitement almost completely evaporated. I still want to check out the system, but the genre conventions sounded really bad to me.

YMMV.

If you are used to games where the referee writes the scenario material and the players react to the material presented then TRoS won't be an easy fit and Blade simply won't work. On the other hand if you are used to narrativist games where the players control the plot and referee is responsible for complications then TRoS will work well and Blade will be an excellent fit if your group is into Swords and Sworcery, or at least understands the tropes of the genre.

tunglashr wrote:
What is OBaM?

Of Beasts And Men, the first supplement written for TRoS. It provides loads of NPCs and Creatures, and also includes the improved archery rules (and mounted combat?).

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:05 pm 

tunglashr wrote:
What is OBaM?
Ian.Plumb wrote:
Of Beasts And Men, the first supplement written for TRoS. It provides loads of NPCs and Creatures, and also includes the improved archery rules (and mounted combat?).

Sorry to contradict you, Ian, but the improved- essential, really, - archery rules are in TFoB. Mounted combat is indeed in OBaM, as are the imo immensely juicy and useful maneuvers and guidelines for animals in combat.

tunglashr wrote:
As a new GM, which version should I use?

Hello tunglashr; welcome to our little lounge.

Based on what I infer from what you write I guess that TRoS will be the better fit for you, as several sample conventions of fantasy roleplaying, like for example settings with many different races, will not work well with the mechanics of Blade. The necessary modifications to make it work might possibly distort the structure of the mechanics to the point where they cease to run smoothly.

tunglashr wrote:
Where can I find good house rules? Which things are chokepoints, like what might I consider changing in the system?

I recommend you just try out TRoS "as is". It is by no means a broken system, just one that is a little rough around the edges in certain points. Things that in many people's opinions need fixing the most are the impact of Strength and Toughness on damage in combat, but you can find threads on that in the combat forum Ian linked above. You might also want to get yourself TFoB and use its much improved archery mechanic right from the start.

Reading up on Spiritual Attributes in The Philosopher's Quarter is probably very advisable, as they are the most novel concept of TRoS and easily misunderstood, unless you already have working knowledge of Narrative systems and mechanics. By reading up on this you will also find out whether TRoS does fit your style of playing at all; like Ian wrote:

Ian.Plumb wrote:
If you are used to games where the referee writes the scenario material and the players react to the material presented then TRoS won't be an easy fit [...]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:33 pm 

Grettir wrote:
Sorry to contradict you, Ian, but the improved- essential, really, - archery rules are in TFoB. Mounted combat is indeed in OBaM, as are the imo immensely juicy and useful maneuvers and guidelines for animals in combat.

:oops:

:)

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming