It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:52 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: TRoS Core Errata
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 pm 

TROS Errata

Or, "Dammit, Jake, you screwed this up."

Last updated 12/21/02

These questions/observations are courtesy Mark Winkelman {dindraug_ca[at]yahoo.com} (thanks Mark!), a regular at the TROS forum. The answers/responses are Jake Norwood's {norwood[at]theriddleofsteel.net}. Additional errata issues and questions should be brought to the TROS forum. We'll add them here if they spark enough discussion.

Page 6: (clarification) Cameron's AG should be stated at the beginning of the example... it's somewhat vague as stated.

Cameron's proper AG is 5.

Page 18: Wealth values are incorrect. Refer to Table 7.4, Page 203.

Amen to that, brother.

Page 31: Extra Languages: It's not clear whether these come from the MA bonus or are free.

They can be bought with MA bonuses.

Page 33: Dice for Body Language: Are these dice taken from an CP that are ALREADY allocated, or those held in reserve?

From the reserve.

Page 33: Camouflage: Why EN? Wouldn't MA be more appropriate?

You can, of course, run it eather way. Our justification for EN is that most of camouflage is really just sitting still for long periods of time. Any attribute can work under certain circumstances.

Page 33: Climbing: What stat should be used? AG, EN or ST?

Depends on circumstances. AG for daring and difficult climbs, EN for long but simple ones, ST for those that require you go up with just your arms (rope climing in gym class, for example).

Page 39: Sailing: Stat omitted.

Depends on Circumstances. MA for basic knowledge and lore, AG for moving about a crashing ship, PER for knowing the weather is about to change at sea.

Page 40: Singing: Should be PER, not SOC.

I personally use SOC, as that just seems right to me. Do as you like.

Page 40: Sincerity: No default listed.

There is none. Use a 13 if you really want to.

Page 41: Symbol Drawing: Perhaps PER is more appropriate than MA.

Perhaps it is. I think PER would be overused to a degree, though.

Page 35: First Aid: Should this be rather defaulted at Surgery -1?

Nope, although I could justify making it default at Surgery even.

Page 45: Intuition: Round down dice added?

But of course.

Page 46: Amputee: Shields @ -2CP as well?

Yes.

Page 51: Why is parrying cheaper without a shield?

A shield would get in the way of many parries. Not all, true, but this simplifies things mechanically.

Page 53: Rapier: Extra cost for feint doesn't make sense.

That's probably true, but remember that the rapier has the lowest ATN in the book, which makes it an equal feinter. If you want a nastier rapier (and some do), then ignore this higher cost.

Page 57: Dagger- Grapple: it's unclear what it means by having an activation cost of 2 or 4... no rationale is given in the text.

Sorry 'bout that. Set up Grapple: 2 dice. W/O set up: 4 dice.

Page 58: Pugilism: see above.

Page 58: Wrestling: see above.

Page 59: Wrestling: If you must declare and throw all dice, how do you do any auxiliary kicks, punches or weapon attacks?

You can set aside any of your wrestling dice for these attacks. Range is assumed to be one closer than "Hand".

Page 59: No Default stated for thrown knives.

There is none.

Page 60: Bind and Strike: doesn't specify whether the intent is to bind the shield or sword. This maneuver is vulnerable to an "attack" defence from the defender, and it's not stated how to handle such an occurrence.

It's intended to bind the sword, but I don't see why you couldn't pin the sheild, too. If, by an "attack" defence you mean that it won't work if your opponent attacks, then you're right. Both sides essentially threw red. Resolve normally.

Page 60: Bash/Cut: is the extra die to increase impact taken from those already alloted for the attack?

No, it comes from the reserve.

Page 61: Why is evasive attack only available for Greatsword?

It would be very appropriate for Cut-and-Thrust as well, or for many weapons. I think I was trying to keep the lists managable.

Page 62: CP penalty for being "held" is 1/2 CP but on Page 59 it states that it's 1/4 instead.

These are referring to different things. Being "held" when fighting at the sword is worse than when fighting with your hands and feet. When "held" weapon proficiencies are at 1/2 and bare-handed or dagger stuff is at -1/4.

Page 63: Prone CP penalty is 1/2?

Yes. Ever fight lying down?

Page 65: Expulsion: attacker/defender relationship needs clarification.

Attacker = offender. Defender = the one doing the expulsion.

Page 69: Vagaries: 2 x 0... why?

Because the regular price for a proficiency is equal to the current rating. Vagaries are double that plus one. 2 x 0 = 0, then add one.

Page 76: I-VII are cuts, NOT I-VI.

Sure enough.

Page 77: Terrain: normal when defending leaves no TN for opponents... marked as n/a in table.

Use hurried or sprinting. When fighting multiple opponents you're never "normal."

Page 78: "Close to range" should say a Level 0 wounds counts as a damaging attack.

So it should.

Page 80: Second paragraph on right: Puncture is VIII-XIV NOT XI-XIV.

Right again. Dang typos.

Page 80: Shock and Pain... it is unclear whether Shock and Pain are cumulative with EACH OTHER at the instant of injury.

Actually it does explain it, but I see that it's unclear. Shock comes on at the moment of impact. Pain hits at the beginning of a round. The hit that delivered the Shock would be after the beginning of the round, so the answer is that they are not cumulative.

Page 82: Is it mandatory to use all of one's MP on any attack?

It is never mandatory to use all of your available dice.

Page 83: Second last paragraph on left: Pierce is VIII-XIV NOT VII-XIV.

Right again. I'm gonna shoot my editor.

Page 84: Why use Reflex to dodge when not in combat? It seems to give the advantage to those already in mortal danger. Perhaps one should be able to ADD Reflex to CP in non-combat situations to reflect the added safety.

And let someome dodge with 20 dice? No way. It stands as is. Remember also that "in combat" means that you're using those CP for something else at the same time. Reflex it generous, IMO.

Page 89: Geralt rolls 8 dice, not 7.

So he does.

Page 92: After failing EN/TN 7... then what? Reduce speed or stop? It's unclear.

So it is.Reduce speed by one category and continue rolling.

Page 82 and 96: Fatigue rules inconsistent... recovery a few seconds or 30 minutes?

It is a little inconsistent. The 30-minute rule is when you don't want to roll and have the time. The "few seconds" rule is for in-combat situations when you need those dice now, and requires a roll.

Page 97: Healing: How do you handle Pain: All for healing?

Count it as Pain: 20.

Page 113: Symbol Drawing: needs clarification. Allows for spells of three in table 6.7 but not in text.

Go with the table.

Page 114: Formalization: refers to table 6.8 in the text, but should refer to table 6.5.

Yup.

Page 117: Flight: Summoning I? Should it be no rather Summoning II, considering it's an Apprentice level spell?

Right again.

Page 126: Fold: Casting time should be 80 seconds in description. The 60 second casting time applies only to the text example.

And again.

Page 128: Mine Shaft: Should be Sculpture 3 and CTN 9.

You're the man, Mark.

Page 129: Plague of the Giant/Dwarf: Should be Expanding/Contracting 2, not Maturing.

Once again. Did I mention I didn't write that part...?

Page 130: Duplicate should include Realism 3.

Yup.

Page 130: Vanish: as above.

Uh-huh.

Page 133: Flight: Should the TN for dangerous situations be 6 rather than 8 to match the CTN, as is common for most TROS spell descriptions?

Yes. A few things (as you've noticed) slipped through our consistency review.

Page 133: Animal: CTN should be 10.

Sure.

Page 134: Should the MA or PER test be 10 to match the CTN?

That seems consistent. Sounds good to me.

Page 135: Mindshape: Should have Realism 3.

Okie-dokie.

Page 135: Transform: CTN should be 15 and should have a casting time of 15 hours.

Sounds good.

Page 136: Transform: should have a resist at TN 15?

Yeah.

Page 252: Are the Dopplehander damage stats correct?

They are. The second set is for when you choke-up the blade, which is technically "half-swording," but functions more like a spear that other half-swording techniques.

Post subject: Re: TRoS Core Errata
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:31 am 

I love how Jake's replies change over time from to the point to, "is it ever gonna end" by the end it almost feels like he wnats to just say "you know what, you take over"... I love the "I'm gonna shoot my editor".

Its alright Jake, I haven't seen a game yet that didn't have ATKEAST that many errors, infact most have considerably more.

Cheers & God Bless!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:05 am 

Crow Caller wrote:
I love how Jake's replies change over time from to the point to, "is it ever gonna end" by the end it almost feels like he wnats to just say "you know what, you take over"
I thought the reason was that he was answering for someone else's mistakes as he didn't actually write the Sorcery section.

Crow Caller wrote:
I love the "I'm gonna shoot my editor".
Yeah. :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:26 pm 

Yeah as the Errata goes on he does start answering for others' mistakes, but in the end it is still his book, and it sucks having someone point out all the flaws in it, but hey, it happens ;)