It is currently Thu May 28, 2020 5:20 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Any ideas for an exciting Assassin?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:18 am 

Hey guys, Ive been playing around with the idea of an Assassin (I love the poisons in TFoB), but was wondering if anyone had some good ideas for Spiritual Attributes.

I've decided I want an Anti-Destiny (They're just too fun), but I'm not sure yet what it will be.

In another thread I've asked about Phobias, and I'll add here another possible Phobia, The Fear of getting too close to people.

I see him as somewhat Cynical, especially as the Oxford Dictionary define's it.

[quote=Oxford Dictionary]showing "a disposition to disbelieve in the sincerity or goodness of human motives and actions" and a tendency "to express this by sneers and sarcasms".[/quote]

He ofcourse has the flaw Skeltons in the Closet: Assassin, that's just a given when considering his line of work.

So a couple things I'd appreciate, are exciting SA's, a general idea for an Assassin organisation he belongs too, I haven't decided if I want him to belong to a Political entity, a Religous entity, or a Commercial entity. I had considered going free lance but decided that his "hits" would be too petty then, this makes me lean away from the Commercial entity a bit too, however I feel that if he was part of a larger Commercial Guild then he could at least get caught up in inner politics.

His stats and skills are all taken care of, he specializes in the Longsword, and in Poisons, I had wanted him to use throwing knives as well, but given their outrageously ridiculess stats I've decided against them.

So yeah, that's about it I guess, any and all help is more than welcome!

Cheers & God Bless!

Post subject: Re: Any ideas for an exciting Assassin?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:28 am 

Crow Caller wrote:
Hey guys, Ive been playing around with the idea of an Assassin (I love the poisons in TFoB), but was wondering if anyone had some good ideas for Spiritual Attributes.

If I were doing this:

Your world needs something global that people are fighting over at a very personal level.

The usual suspects are religion, politics, or class. Things like guilds are possible candidates but those guilds would need to control general political power to have enough influence over enough people's daily lives to warrant the level of personal commitment required for this idea.

The struggle began in a "gentlemanly" fashion -- non-violent for the most part, non-life-threatening when things got out of hand, with equally balanced protagonists and a populace that expected things to be resolved through negotiation and compromise. And so it was as the years rolled by.

Things became violent when one side began to get the upper hand. Their leader is both cunning and completely committed to changing the order of things -- no more balance, no more negotiation, it's become winner-takes-all.

For years he has been planning and now that plan is unfolding. He has been bringing in thugs from an external populace that have a long-held grievance against the local population. These are the kind that enjoy their work. They're starting to flex their muscle. The body count is rising. The innocent are getting caught in the crossfire. The balance of power has shifted -- significantly.

Things are about to go from violent to vicious. Another side is growing desperate. They're looking for something that will turn the tide of this "campaign of tyranny." Through connections of connections they've hired an outlander, a merciless killer without peer, a master assassin. Someone that can get the job done.

Crow Caller wrote:
So a couple things I'd appreciate, are exciting SA's, a general idea for an Assassin organisation he belongs too, I haven't decided if I want him to belong to a Political entity, a Religous entity, or a Commercial entity.

I think his SAs need to explain *why* he is an assassin. A mercenary is someone that kills for money -- an assassin though murders for money. No scruples, no distinction between male and female, old and young, innocent and guilty. His reasoning has to come from within his SAs.

I'd start with:

Passion: Love for (someone)

where the someone is already dead. The death of the beloved has fueled the descent into a sociopathic madness. Morals, scruples, no longer apply.

I'd lean towards:

Anti-Destiny: To one day execute a target that looks disturbingly similar to (someone).

Within the anti-destiny lies the resolution to everything for this character. As the player you have the freedom to express whatever resolution to choose -- everything from catharsis to death-wish is possible.

You don't want the character to be one-dimensional though. There have to be motivations that are unrelated to his tragic past and culminating future.

Something like:

Drive: To do good as someone perceives it.

This, I think, will make the character genuinely disturbing to others. He seeks to do good but understands that he is no longer capable of judging good from evil. So he relies on the judgement of others, usually one specific person that he fixates on. This may not be the one who has hired him. Think of something like the innocent daughter of the person who has hired him, or the son who retains noble ideals yet understands the threat to the way of life. His dependence on them for justification of his deeds becomes a narrative point for that character.

Oath: (to the organization that have hired him, for the duration of the contract)

I think he needs this just so that there is some measure of rationale for the character to participate actively and logically in the campaign.

Anyway, have fun with the character.

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming
Kraftworks for Kids School Holiday Program

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:40 am 

Awesome man, that is the best reply I've ever had. I almost feel guilty for using, like I'm playing someone elses character, there's so much to work with there.

It's pretty much cut and paste. Thanks heaps Ian, I'm really looking forward to playing this guy now.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:48 am 

Crow Caller wrote:
Thanks heaps Ian, I'm really looking forward to playing this guy now.

If you get a chance, and once you've fleshed out his character sheet and background, if you could post him in the Characters forum that'd be great.

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:53 am 

Sure thing. One idea I'm toying with at the moment is the victim of his Anti-Destiny. I was thinking it might be interestin to have the victim be the same person as his Drive.

The Drive's death will be the final proof that his ways are wrong, or perhaps any hope of him regaining his morality will die with the Drive. I'm not 100% sure yet.

Anyone and Everyone is more than welcome to add further comments and/or criticisms (as long as they're constructive of course ;))

Cheers & God Bless.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:36 am 

A friend of mine came up with an assassin character with a great background. He started his career by performing a quiet, justifiable assassination at the personal request of his liege lord, and descended from there. His background is posted on the game's wiki. The thing I like is that he did not start out thinking of himself as an assassin. He was performing killings based on both profit and justice, and it only turned into a profession after a particularly dramatic event changed the way he viewed his own actions.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:20 am 

The slow descent is always fun to play, as is the slow ascent.

I think with this character, because of the awesome post Ian made, it will be a slow ascent if any. Jarred by the realization that he is no better than the ones who killed his familly.

I am having difficulty in fleshing out Ian's post (mainly the Politcal situation that calls for his aid, the problem is I' not the Seneschal and don't know what he has planned, but hopefully I'll see him tomorrow and we can work something out).

So far the I'm trying to write the Character's background in a series of snipits and flashbacks, keeping enough concealed so the Seneschal can work intrigue into the Assassins past, but enough revealed to explain who the Assassin is and why he is what he is.

The single most important flashback is when he is young, he awakes to find his house (a mansion) is on fire, servants are running and screaming in every direction, the smoke is thick and it is hard for him to see. He is very disoriented. He makes it to the hallway outside his room when he is knocked over by men he doesn't reconize. Crawling under a table in an alcove in the hall he huddles up, he is afraid. Finally a hand reaches under the table and grabs him, it is his mother, she is very scared too, she starts running dragging him along, his sister is in his mother's arms, she is crying. There are sounds of men yelling down in the main hall. "Where's daddy?" he remembers asking but his mother doesn't reply. The keep running.
"There they are!" he here's a man yell, his mother begins to panic and running faster, they are darting through rooms, this way and that, they are in a part of the house where the servants, sleep, two young women run towards them, they are very frightened, his mother says something to them, he can't hear, the fire is getting worse. The men burst into the room, the young women scream "Go!" he hears his mother cry, the maids grab him and his sister and begin to run. He hears his mother scream, what is happening, he looks back, his mother is on the ground, then man standing over her has a sword, he looks up and begins to chase them. The servants dart through a passage, it is one of the "secret tunnels" he likes to play in. They keep running they are almost out of the mansion when he hears the other maid scream, he turns and looks, the man has her by the hair, his sister has fallen on the ground. He tries to run back to her but the maid pulls on his hands, his sister is very scarred, the house begins to groan, then the roof collapses, fire catches all around his sister, they are cut off. Everything goes black, he hears his sister scream.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:50 pm 

Hey guys, so it appears our group is heading into a Russian inspired land which is cool 'cause we've never explored that kind of culture before. Further more it blends with the Norse/Germanic feel of the current campaign.

I've done a little research and I've found that Kievan Rus' seems to fit the bill for the state that will employ my Assassin. Power is shared to an extraordinary degree, it is the perfect set up for an usurper to come in and try to steal power. Furthermore there is a Veche (Council) made up of all the Adult Males of the population with enough power that when they significantly disagreed with a Ruler they would simply expel them and find a new one. Also, it seems that there was a significant Oligarchy behind the scenes. This is the perfect set up for a power struggle in my opinion.

So what I see as happening, is that one of the Princes begins a play for more power, starting off slow, making alliances and breaking alliances when the needs occur. Eventually he secures a significant portion of power, however always worried that the Veche could try and throw him out he begins to bring in outside help to cement his position. This increasing tension amongst the general populace to the point that they try to oust the Prince, however he violently refuses leading to an all out civil war, meanwhile the Oligarchy lurking in the shadows sees there chance to get rid of the Prince, and brings in some outside assisstance (my Assassin).

How does this seem?

Cheers!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:00 pm 

Hey Ian, these are the character's stats and SA's so long, the philosphy is temporary until I can think of something a little better, I'm still working on the History.

Let me know what you think.

Quote:
Character Concept = Assassin
Philosophy = Take what you can, give nothing back.

Human High Freeman with Landless Noble’s Wealth

ST 5 WP 6
AG 8 Wit 7
TO 5 MA 6
EN 6 Soc 7
HT 6 Per 6

SKILLS
Assassin = Herbalist SR 4 (Master)
Acting SR 5 (Journeyman)
Camouflage SR 6 (Competent)
Climbing SR 6 (Competent)
Disguise SR 5 (Journeyman)
Lock Picking SR 6 (Competent)
First Aid SR 5 (Journeyman)
Sincerity SR 6 (Competent)
Secret Languages SR 7 (Apprentice)
Traps SR 5 (Journeyman)

Thief = Panhandling SR 5 (Journeyman)
Streetwise SR 5 (Journeyman)
Scrounging SR 6 (Competent)
Sneak SR 6 (Competent)
Pick Pocket SR 7 (Apprentice)
Gambling SR 7 (Apprentice)
Break & Enter SR 6 (Competent)
Appraisal SR 6 (Competent)
Search SR 7 (Apprentice)

SOCIAL PACKET
Nobel = Native Language SR 7 (Apprentice)
Etiquette (Court) SR 7 (Apprentice)
Read & Write SR 7 (Apprentice)
Riding SR 7 (Apprentice)

Weapon Proficiency, Longsword 8 (CP 15)

FLAWS
Sleep Disorder = Perception test (Difficulty 4 in doors, 2-3 outdoors, 1 in noisy environments) failure means I get to sleep, Botching means I sleep like a baby, passing means I cant sleep, -1 to all rolls the next day
Phobia = Fear of getting too close to anyone.
Skeletons in
the Closet = He is an Assassin responsible for countless deaths
Oath = To uphold the Terms and Conditions of his Contract to whatever ends.

Spiritual Attributes

Passion (Love) = Sal’s passion lies with his family, slain by the blades of ruthless mercenaries

Drive = Sal seeks to do good, however, as he has no sense of right or wrong, he must rely upon other peoples morals to guide him. In this he relies upon no one more so than he does Yelena the innocent daughter of his employer Rurik, and the spitting image of his late sister.

Oath = Sal’s Oath is the only Law he abides, it is his way of belonging in this world, his sense of being, and his purpose in life.

Anti-destiny = Sal is a killer, remorseless, cold, ruthless. It is his job, and it is his calling. However, he is destined to question everything he is, as his blade is fated to find the heart of Yelena, the only compass in this world that guides his sense of morality.

As you can see I still need one more SA, not sure what it'll be yet. I think I might change Drive to Conscience (he uses Yelena's Conscience) and then have Drive be find those who have ruined his life and make them pay, or something along those lines.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:07 pm 

This is looking just fine Crow Caller. I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun playing Sal!

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:30 am 

Heh, yeah I realize you are not a fan of the PointBuy system, if I was to use Priority Pick it would probably be A in Stats, B in Skills, C in Proficency, D in Class, E in Gifts/Flaws, and F in Race.

Also his name is Sal that's a left over from when I was going to name him Tsalmavath which is Hebrew for The Shadow of Death. I am thinking now however that I will name him Erebos or Erebus which is Greek for Darkness.

Cheers.

PS: If anyone can hepl me with the lat SA it would be appreciated, I was considering Faith, but found this hard for a man who can not tell right from wrong. Perhaps a Destiny or Passion (Hate People?)

Cheers & God Bless!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:49 pm 

Might I suggest his faith in the goodness of Yelena?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:39 pm 

Crow Caller wrote:
FLAWS
Oath = To uphold the Terms and Conditions of his Contract to whatever ends.

Spiritual Attributes

Oath = Sal’s Oath is the only Law he abides, it is his way of belonging in this world, his sense of being, and his purpose in life.

Firstly, I think the character is great and well suited to what you are looking to play. So what follows is a "design philosophy" discussion rather than a "practical gaming" discussion. The character is certainly playable.

I don't understand why his Oath to his employer is a Flaw. If something is a Flaw then it is up to the referee to ensure that it isn't a Gift in disguise. In other words, in game, Flaws have to be inconvenient and lead to problems for the character. So if the character has Flaw: Hero to the People then this aspect of the character is always inconvenient, never advantageous -- so it is up to the referee to construct scenes where this is the case. Ex camera conceivably there might be advantages -- but as far as the player is concerned, in camera, it will be a disadvantage.

From that point of view, how do you see the oath to the employer playing out during the game? Is it a Flaw in that sense?

Now, his Spiritual Attributes. How do you see Spiritual Attributes within the game? There are two common views.

On the one hand, SAs are the very core of the character's being. They do not change -- changing an SA would require a life-changing event to have taken place within the game. The SAs need only relate to the scenario material in an obscure way -- the referee is under no obligation to base the scenario on the SAs of the characters. The SAs define the character's life-long goals.

On the other hand, the SAs are the player's goals for the character within the game. They represent the most pressing motivators for the character *right now*. The referee is expected to base the scenario material on the character's SAs. As the player has defined what they want out of the game for their character the referee has the expectation that if the scenario material covers some or all of the character's SAs then the player will engage with the material. When the player engages with the material -- that is, they act on the scenes wherein their character's SAs are being triggered, their character performs better (they get their SA dice for rolls) and their character is rewarded (SAs are increased). The player changes their character's SAs frequently -- picking up on new plot elements that interest them, ignoring those that do not. SAs are a closed-loop scenario development ---> player involvement mechanism that helps to ensure that the referee and players have fun.

With this in mind, how do you see his Spiritual Attributes -- in particular his Oath?

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:25 am 

Hector = This could be interesting, his conscience leads him to make moral decisions based on Yelena, however it could be his Faith in her which is the reason, for some reason he sees her as different from all the other people, shes the lat becon of hope for mankind (as far as he is concerned). My only problem is I don't want to double up too much on SA's, it makes the charcter very linear, on the other hand I dont know what other direction to take him. I'll definately keep Faith: The Goodness of Yelena in mind.

Ian = My veiws on SA's fall somewhere in the middel ground I think. When I give a Character his SA's they definately reflect what I want to play and engage in, however I also like them to be deeply rooted in the character. In this case I don't ever see Erebus' Passion: Love for slain family changing.

Likewise his Oath, as described under his SA's, is his way of belonging to the world he lives in. It is very central to the character, without he has no purpose. The reason this becomes a Flaw is because he will follow it to whatever ends, it will frequently see his life put at risk and eventualy will more than likely get him, or those around him killed.

As an SA he could break his word and lose a point of SA, however his Oath goes far beyond this, it is at the very heart of his being, he can never forsake it, in my eyes this becomes a flaw. I see this as being reflected when he takes a hit on a girl only to discover that she is Yelena, he wants nothing more than to let her go, but still he slips the poisoned blade between her ribs.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:01 am 

Hector wrote:
Might I suggest his faith in the goodness of Yelena?

For myself I wouldn't accept this as a Faith. He might accept that Yelena is good in comparison to himself but for me Faith is something more than this. The Faith SA for me is belief in something unseen, unproveable.

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming