It is currently Thu May 28, 2020 3:26 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Any ideas for an exciting Assassin?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:21 am 

Crow Caller wrote:
Ian = My veiws on SA's fall somewhere in the middel ground I think. When I give a Character his SA's they definately reflect what I want to play and engage in.

Ok, so looking at your SAs from the point of view of a referee who is trying to build scenes for the scenario around them:

Drive = Sal seeks to do good, however, as he has no sense of right or wrong, he must rely upon other peoples morals to guide him. In this he relies upon no one more so than he does Yelena the innocent daughter of his employer Rurik, and the spitting image of his late sister.

This is very specific to this scenario. Sal is a foreigner, recently arrived in town to sign a contract and get a job done. In so doing he has met Yelena and true to form he has decided that he will do the things that she perceives as "good" in order to be seen as doing good. When he returns to his own home (that is, at the completion of this scenario) this Drive will reset to his next "angel".

This SA works perfectly, allowing the referee to build scenes around this concept. It will be fun for the referee too given the nature of the character.

Anti-destiny = Sal is a killer, remorseless, cold, ruthless. It is his job, and it is his calling. However, he is destined to question everything he is, as his blade is fated to find the heart of Yelena, the only compass in this world that guides his sense of morality.

IMO this is too specific and too short-term for an Anti-destiny. The whole thing will resolve within the confines of this scenario. I don't think there is time to build his relationship with Yelena to the point where the other players at the table will recognise the moment of pathos when he must decide whether to kill her or not.

Destiny/Anti-destiny is a weak SA for scenario development. Conceptually the D/Ad is least likely to be triggered in any given scene as it is usually seen as the character's megaplot that arises infrequently over months or years of gaming. The concern I have here is that this SA will fire regularly when the character is so close to fulfilling the D/Ad. That's fine when the huge megaplot is finally coming to fruition but when the character has been designed to fulfill the D/Ad so quickly it may feel, to the other players, like someone has designed an "always on" SA.

It is certainly easy for the referee to build the SA into scenes -- it's probably the opposite problem. How does the referee design scenes where it can't be argued that this SA is relevant.

Passion (Love) = Sal’s passion lies with his family, slain by the blades of ruthless mercenaries

This helps to explain who Sal is but how does the referee build scenes around this SA?

I like the SAs you've built. In describing who Sal is they work a treat. As such, to me they fall into the "fundamental trait" view of SAs more than the metagame view of SAs. Nothing wrong with that at all. However, if you want the referee building scenes around these SAs you may need to have a chat with him/her regarding how you see things working out in-play.

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming
Kraftworks for Kids School Holiday Program

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:09 am 

Hey Ian, regarding 'Sal's' Passion: Love for his Slain family. I suppose that this SA by merit of what it is could be also read as Passion: Hate for those who slew them. However he has no idea f who slew his family, or why they were killed. I would probably talk to the GM and see if this Passion could fire when helping Yelena (as she is a spitting image of his sister, to the point where Sal struggles to seperate the two). Perhaps if I created a Drive, uncover the truth behind his family's demise and avenge them (if need be), then the Passion would fire more too, thought then it'll double up.

I wouldn't worry about the Anti Destiny not having time to build significance, as I think it will be atleast 10 to 15 sessions before Yelena falls to his knife. Remember Sal is not being called in for one hit, but for a series of difficult and very important assassinations. At one assassination every 3 sessions and 5 assassinations thats 15, I figure the hit on Yelena will simply be loose ends being tied up.

Anyways its still atleast a week before I play him, so I'll keep kicking around ideas, as always everyone is welcome to make suggestions.

Cheers & God Bless!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:48 pm 

Crow Caller wrote:
Hey Ian, regarding 'Sal's' Passion: Love for his Slain family. I suppose that this SA by merit of what it is could be also read as Passion: Hate for those who slew them. However he has no idea f who slew his family, or why they were killed.

For myself I think this is more interesting if he has already avenged their murders. In other words, he is the way he is even though he has drunk deeply from the cup of vengeance. The question that then needs to be asked of the player by the referee, in game, is what is there that can redeem Sal? What can turn him from this path of self-annihilation?

That is up to the referee of course. It is his role to test you in this, using situations to test you through Sal. It will be an interesting game.

The answer I guess is fairly clear from the SAs but it will still be interesting from the other players perspective.

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming
Kraftworks for Kids School Holiday Program

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:15 am 

Hey Ian, ok so I've chewing over what you've said and re-reading your original reply.

Your original suggestion for Passion was:
Quote:
Passion: Love for (someone)

where the someone is already dead. The death of the beloved has fueled the descent into a sociopathic madness. Morals, scruples, no longer apply.

I think in order to show this descent into a sociopathic madness, the Passion would be better written as a Passion of Hate, and the reason given is the death of his beloved family. This is what I came up with.

Quote:
Passion (Hate) = Erebus’ ability to love died with his family, now all that is left in him is an empty hole that he tries to fill with his endless hatred of humanity.

Anyway, I'm still chewing over it all... I'll add more later.

Cheers!