It is currently Thu May 28, 2020 3:12 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Gifts and Flaws Workshop
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:08 am 

This thread is for creating Gifts and Flaws. Not much else to say.

Here's a gift I've been pondering about:

Likeable (minor): It isn't to do with dashing looks or perfect vowels... there's just something about your accent, the shine in your eyes, your speech pattern--you're just likeable.
+1 dice bonus when your likeable nature comes to your advantage, and people are likely to be more helpful in general.
Example: Henry wants to get into the castle, and is trying to talk his way in with the guards. He needs 5 successes at TN 6, and rolls 5 (Social) with a +1 bonus from his likeable nature. He rolls four successes, missing by one, and the guards turn him away. However, one of them calls him back, telling him that the cook needed a helper, so he could try for the job.

Dead Magic (Major[?] Flaw):

You are one of the are people without an inner source of magic, at least not one that can be sensed. Words you speak lack a hidden power in normal people's voices, and even magic words seem dull and toneless.

You are without magic, unable to learn or use Arcane magic unless under special circumstances (Divine magic is fine). This carries to the extent where you can't perform something a normal person could, such as speaking a word that activates a magic sword, or touching a glyph which opens the stone wall.
Since you have no traceable source of magic, however, you can't be found through magical means unless the person has a part of your body (hair, fingernails, blood, piece of flesh), this applies to divine magic too. Also, parts of your body are only useful for tracking you for two days after it's dead (hair is considered dead the moment it leaves you, flesh is considered dead after an hour, and blood is considered living for a full day out of your body)--special means of containment can keep such parts alive.
Some spells may also not register as fully on you (GM's discretion).

Essential Implement (Major or Minor Flaw):

You're different from other users of the mystic arts. You can't manage by the grace of your voice and hands alone--you need something more to tap into your gift.

Minor: There is an implement you need (not a specific implement, but a certain type--if you choose staff, then you can't use wands) to use your full magical potential--the implement must be Fine. When not using this implement, you are limited to half your SP (rounded down). You are assumed to use this half first, even when wielding the implement. You recover magic as normal.
((Perhaps there's a way to access your other half of SP at a penalty?))

Major(/Minor): Either: Same as Minor, only it's a specific implement you need, not just a certain type. You can change your magical potentials to a new implement, but it takes a large period of time (and the new implement must be Fine), 5d6 days. Also, when you have done this, you can't use the previous implement.
Or: You are completely incapable of casting spells without the chosen type of implement, no more than an ordinary person.

The Minor version of this Flaw can only be taken by Magic-users who don't automatically require an Implement (aka: Wizards). The Major version can be taken by Automatic Implement-Users, but it is counted as a Minor Flaw.

Self-Caster (Major Gift):

Many envy you for your rare talent. As they use wands, staffs, and special swords, you forego these annoyances. With speech and with gesture, you cast your spells, body and hand as empty bare as you please.

You can cast spells without the use of an implement. You don't take a penalty for casting spells without the use of an implement.

This can only be taken by magic-users who are automatically required to use an implement for magic (Wizards).

Post subject: Re: Gifts and Flaws Workshop
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:06 am 

Updates to main list, by the way. No one interested in this thread?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:09 pm 

Well, not me. :) I mean, I feel that gifts and flaws very rarely add anything to the character and choosing them is the part I dislike the most in TROS character creation. Picking things from the list feels soooo like D&D 3.x feat selection (but luckily, without any dependency tree)... I hate-hate-hate lists to pick the options from. It's like I didn't know what kind of character I'd like to create and I needed all those guidelines which end up being restrictions anyway. Well, I don't need neither guidelines nor restrictions. I'm the kind of guy who is willing to play D&D only in the company of friends I see very-very rarely... and then it's also me who goes "dammit, I was hoping this level wouldn't bring me any more feats", "would someone simply pick the new spells for me?" and "do we really need to level up?" as all of those things (and especially the leveling up) are an ultimate chore. Okay, end of rant. :P

Anyways, I would have already removed the gifts and flaws column from TROS priority pick table for my personal use a while ago, but there's a couple of things for which they are irreplaceable (linguist, one eye, amputee, etc).

Now when that's out of the way, I can of course offer you my opinion about your work. :)

Conners wrote:
You're different from other users of the mystic arts. You can't manage by the grace of your voice and hands alone--you need something more to tap into your gift.
First off, dialogue and gestures seem like remnants of your D&D heritage here, as TROS magic requires neither of those to successfully wield magic. What you can do with them however, is to lower you CTN with successful Form roll. See MRB p. 113.

Also, you speak of arcane and divine magic, which utterly confuses me. What do those terms mean in TROS context?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:17 pm 

I can sympathize with how you feel... However, while many times you have to work out what the heck you're doing and slug through it, it can be fun if you're in the right mood...

On the bright side, I intend my Gifts and Flaws to be examples for what you could do with your own traits for your character. Perhaps they have a demon they've welcomed into them, and while it grants them various perks, it'll occasionally blurt a line of savage dialogue through the character in a deranged voice, causing awkward - or worse - situations.
That's just off the top of my head. I could add it to the list, but it's too specific... it's meant for a type of character someone would want to play. Sound better to you?

Strange, I recall in the magic rules that they said to choose either Speech or Gesture at creation.... Perhaps this is only for the bonus you get? Either way, it's just Flavour Text anyhow :P.

Arcane means raw magic, derived form yourself and the arcane planes. Divine means magic you've derived from the Gods, or something similar. It isn't your own power, it's lended power.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:10 pm 

Conners wrote:
I could add it to the list, but it's too specific...
Indeed it is, but why not add it as it's a general workshop thread and created by yourself as well. :)

Conners wrote:
Arcane means raw magic, derived form yourself and the arcane planes. Divine means magic you've derived from the Gods, or something similar. It isn't your own power, it's lended power.
I have never used TROS magic myself but I don't recall it being divided in D&D fashion... Is it your setting specific stuff? If it is, please note down what assumption it requires. Otherwise it will just confuse anyone not intimately familiar with the system.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:44 pm 

I myself have a very hard time coming up with stuff here, but I think that's because I haven't had a character with a specific gift/flaw that I needed to create - otherwise it's just too broad to come up with anything. I think these gifts/flaws would work well with a specific character.

higgins wrote:
It's like I didn't know what kind of character I'd like to create and I needed all those guidelines which end up being restrictions anyway.

It keeps things interesting for people, especially the ones who like to have perfect characters!