It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:03 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Anyone interested in a Modernday - Vampire Hunting Game?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:10 pm 

Hey guys, I'm curently involved in a game set in the modern world, it is based off of World of Darkness, Supernatural, and my crazy mate's home brewed conspiracy theories.

Basically I wanted to post this to try and guage if there is any interest in such a game online?

Cheers & God Bless!

Post subject: Re: Anyone interested in a Modernday - Vampire Hunting Game?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:50 pm 

If I may make a suggestion, put up a summary of the next two or three sessions you play with your gaming group. That'll give everyone a good appreciation for the flavour and nature of the game setting and typical scenario.

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming
Kraftworks for Kids School Holiday Program

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:01 pm 

Yeah, spill us some beans here, man. :P

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:14 am 

I mean, the concept is definitely interesting, but this lack of replies... maybe the combat oriented title drives most people off? So, yeah, tell us a bit more about it... and what you're thinking to go for in your game? I'm not familiar with Supernatural, but this Van Helsing the movie sort of popped into my mind reading your proposal. Or is it the modern day that keeps the thread quiet? Speak up, everyone. :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:42 am 

higgins wrote:
I mean, the concept is definitely interesting, but this lack of replies... (...) Speak up, everyone. :)

For me personally the entire Vampire- and World-of-Darkness-concept and everthing related to it, drawing upon it for inspiration or even offering some kind of new twist on or permutation of it is just totally stale -- no offense meant, Crow Caller. I myself have just seen enough of that theme to last me for this life and the next. I can't see myself ever again touching a game that revolves around any kind of non-Lovecraftian hidden supernatural world, most definitely not if set before any kind of post-Birth-of-Christ backdrop. Mummies at the court of Charlemagne, demons in Renaissance Italy, vampires of the French Revolution, Winnie the Pooh in Nazi Germany and whatnot have in my opinion all been done to death.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:57 am 

Grettir wrote:
...Winnie the Pooh in Nazi Germany...

Now there's a TRoS game waiting to be played!

I spent 7 years in the Buffyverse with Joss Whedon and everyone else in the Western-world. The vampire thing is, well, I just can't think of a variation that hasn't been done on film or in anime. So when you expect a game with a strong Narrativist bent and therefore lots of Director Stance -- well, the creativity doesn't really flow for me. What theme would I want my character to explore that hasn't already been done...?

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming
Kraftworks for Kids School Holiday Program

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:35 am 

I'm in the middle of a familly BBQ so I can't be long... but...

I can't post excerpts of my game because it is NOT "Politically Correct" and there is a LARGE chance that it could REALLY offend ALOT of people :P So I'll just keep my home game for home ;)

However I WILL come back on later to post more about the theme and feel, and to discuss the limitless possiblilties of temes and flavours that can be explored. Other than that I would simply tell Grettir that the World of Darkness is not a very big influence ojn the game, other than the fact that we use it to model different Supernatural powers from Magic to Psionics, Vampire abilities, Demon abilities even Angels.

Anyway, more later.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:59 pm 

Okay, so the world is more or less our own world, the year is usually somewhere in the 1990's, this is close enough for most people to have a feel for it, however not so advanced that Tech can become too much of a problem. I mean, in today's world D.E.W.'s are too real.

The World is darker, Cities are more "overcrowded" whereas the country sides are more "deserted". Depression is as high, if not higher than it is in today's world. And Atheism is much higher, to the point where it is the Dominant "Religion".

Demons are real, very real, and they take the form of several Supernatural Creatures.

Werewolves are humans who make deals to channel demons for personal gain.

Vampire's are Demons that animate the Corpses of the Damned (those who sells their souls, the catch being that those who sell their souls in this case are the victims of Vampires drained to certain death. When offered the Vampire's blood they often take it and in doing so Damn themselves).

Ghouls are humans that feed off Vampire's blood.

Demon's are either the disembodied spirits of the Nephilim, or the Spirits of Fallen Angels that are chained in the Abyss, they can only access this world through possessing people.

Devils are Fallen Angels that are fully manifest in this World, and are immensily powerful, they most often set themselves up in positions of power, from Politics to Clergy, and all the way to false gods.

Angels are the opposite of Devils.

Ghosts are the disembodied spirits of dead people that can manifest in a variety of ways.

etc. etc.

On top of the Supernatural critters are those who wield the forces of the supernatural, mages, witches, warlocks etc. etc.

There are also those with Psionic abilities, these are fairly recent and are unexplained.

Finally there are those very rare individuals that can wield Faith in ways similar to those who wield magic.

However, the real driving force of the game is that Players are NOT Supernatural, they are normal everyday folk caught up in a supernatural world.

What I personally love about the setting is it is the most internally consistant setting I've ever encountered. Everything simply makes sense. Even the SN's ability to remain relatively hidden and unknown is plausible, infact its probable. Over the past few decades there have been hundreds of thousands of reports of Ghost Sighting, sightings of dino's and dragons, demons, demon possession, etc. etc. There has even been countless photo's and video's (I'm not saying whter they are real, phony, or simply mis-interperetted, Im simply saying the pics are there), however for every "believer" there are twenty more sceptics there to shut them down.

Think of it like this, I walk into a room filled with 22 people, and shoot one of them. Then I am arrested and stand trial, in my trial one of the 22 people that was there says it was me, he is a normal kind of folk, low education and low credibility. He even has a photo of me doing it, though it is does not prove 100% it was me. Then the other 20 people (remember 1 is dead) come forward and say it WASN'T me, they are police officers, lawyers, and scientists.

Who is the Judge and Jury going to believe? Keep in mind it really WAS me who went in there and shot that fellow, but it doesn't matter no one will ever believe it.

Another huge part of the game and setting is Conspiracies, the setting is rife with them.

So yeah, its not everyone's cup of tea, I personally love it. I find that by using the real world it is much easier to explore themes such as love hate loyalty and faith. Plus its always fun to visit your house and find you Role Playing :P J/K'ing!

Anyway, the fact no one is interested doesn't bother me, it just leaves me with the question, what kind of game would people be interested in? What about a game set in a world and time based heavily on the Iliad? Ancient Greece but all the legends are true. That kind of thing?

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:34 pm 

Crow Caller wrote:
I mean, in today's world D.E.W.'s are too real.
D.E.W?

Crow Caller wrote:
However, the real driving force of the game is that Players are NOT Supernatural, they are normal everyday folk caught up in a supernatural world.
Fun! Playing supernatural characters in a modern environment is (with a couple exceptions) a complete bore to me..

Crow Caller wrote:
What I personally love about the setting is it is the most internally consistant setting I've ever encountered. Everything simply makes sense. Even the SN's ability to remain relatively hidden and unknown is plausible, infact its probable.
Care to elaborate on that? I've always found the supernatural communities with supernatural slang... well... dumb. I especially loathed V:tM in that aspect. It had huge amount of supernatural slang and the clans and the like were supposed to be common terms for everybody. In other words, I very much preferred the setting of Interview with a Vampire where Louis and Claudia were seemingly all alone and it gave the world much more plausible atmosphere than any WoD game I've ever been in. A vampire or two? Okay. A vampire-nest theatre? Pretty wicked. Six vampires in a bar arguing about vampire politics and sharing news about recent werewolf activity in the area? Naah. :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:53 pm 

When I refer to "the Setting" I refer to my home setting not V:tM, remember it is inspired by, or influenced by, but it is vastly different.

I do see covens of vamps however I see them as relatively small (no more than dozen give or take a few maybe), and I see covens as extremely rare.

An example of a coven would be from Interveiw with a Vamp, LeStat, Louie and the girl, its a coven ("family") of three.

However I see Vamps as pretty much solitary.

Also, something I see as paramount to the setting is that the Supernatural is not all encompassing. Hunter's don't walk down the street and bumb into a vamp. Rather they here rumours of strange killings three states over, they follow up on the leads, if it seems like it warrants a thourough investigation then they travel there and do so.

THEN if the investigation proves fruitful the Hunt begins in ernest. It could take a month to hunt one Vamp, and it could take several months and many false leads just to get a real case.

The Setting should have a population of about 10 bilion give or take 1 or 2 billion depending on the mood you are trying to set. This number includes Vamps and Mages Witches etc.

Ofcourse the total number of SN critters is left vague though I myself would set an absoloute maximum roof of 1 SN critter for every 1 million normal folk, and then I'd prefer to never reach that ceiling ;).

The rarer something is, the better IMO, it adds weight to it, makes it more... I dunno, special!

Anyway I'm rambling and I dont even think I answered your question lol. So before I'll go I'll answer atleast one of them :P D.E.W. means Directed Energy Weapon (Lasers and stuff), its probably not the real acronym but yeah I didnt think of that as I wrote it.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:03 pm 

Crow Caller wrote:
When I refer to "the Setting" I refer to my home setting not V:tM, remember it is inspired by, or influenced by, but it is vastly different.
Sure, I just brought an example. I quite like your version of WoD. The less power structures consisting of supernaturals, the better. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:40 am 

I'm actually going to be starting this Sim up soon, I've got two players already, I might message Higgins and see if he's keen. Anyone else who is interested let me know.

The players who are already in have asked for a fast- paced game, so there will likely be some kind of minimum post requirement per week. But we'll discuss this more later.

Also, the players are interested in playing characters that aren't mere mortals so that is something that will need to be discussed.