It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:42 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: What kind of game WOULD ppl be interested in playing/running
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:07 am
Posts: 953
Location: Melbourne, Australia
...?

So I wrote this:

Quote:
Anyway, the fact no one is interested doesn't bother me, it just leaves me with the question, what kind of game would people be interested in? What about a game set in a world and time based heavily on the Iliad? Ancient Greece but all the legends are true. That kind of thing?

Cheers!



at the bottom of a rather long post of mine in the "Is anyone interesting in a Vampire Hunter" game thread, but I think ppl might have missed it?

Basically the idea of the previous thread was to gauge interest in that particular game, only Higgins seemed interested at all.

THIS Thread is to guage interest in ANY sort of game, from Star Wars to Age of Conan! Your Imagination is the Limit!

I would be interested in an Epic Campaign, (Epic as in Greek Epic AND Power Level (The Epic Priorities from Companion)) a real Greek Tradgedy were characters are created around their flaws. To best model this IMHO you would have to use Point Buy with a few house rules that my group use.

1) Players start with 95pts (75 base plus 20 cause its an Epic Game, my group usually uses 60pts)

2) You may have any number of Gifts/Flaws, however Flaws CANNOT outnumber Gifts by more than FOUR.

3) Stats can be purchased right up to 10 if you are willing to spend that many points (It's tempting at first glance but IMO it really isn't worth it, unless you are going for the unskilled brute that simply must have ST 9 and TO 10, but yeah, not worth it IMO).

All the other Epic Priorites from Companion are opened too.

Anyways, this is just ONE type of Game I would REALLY like to PLAY in! I'm thinking real Iliad type of stuff, where all the Myth and Legend is true. Hydras, Cyclops, the works.

Anyway, there are a multitude of other games I'd love to play in... What I would really like is other people to post what kind of games they would like to play in, so I can choose one I wouldn't mind RUNNING (GM'ing) once the overall theme flavour is chosen, then if there is signifcant interest we can discuss going further.

Cheers!

_________________
"It was hard-fought, a desperate affair that could have gone badly; if God had not helped me, the outcome would have been quick and fatal" (115) ~ Beowulf after defeating Grendle's Mother.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What kind of game WOULD ppl be interested in playing/running
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:43 pm
Posts: 2112
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Just an observation: if you play in an established setting there are certain norms and expectations that go with it. You might even go so far as to say that there are certain stereotypes. In a fantasy game this might be the honorable thief, in a modern game this might be the good cop forced to keep quiet about the corruption of his superiors and driven to drink. The kind of two-liners about a character that might be used to pitch a film to a studio man.

The thing I like about Shared Setting Creation is that the new environment has no baggage. There are no stereotypes in Ozomatli; though some characters in the game are more typical than others. Similarly with The Parched Lands. This interests me -- disposable settings, created to assist in the development and exploration of particular themes. What doesn't interest me is Exploration of Setting as a reason to game. I don't want to play in a game set in Middle-Earth -- I read the books, I saw the films, I don't need to spend weeks traipsing through Rhudaur on the way to Arthedain...

So, for me at least, discussing the theme of the game is far more likely to whet my appetite than discussing the setting.

Regards,

_________________
Ian Plumb
Illustrations for Gamers
Lyonpaedia
Griffin Grove Gaming
Kraftworks for Kids School Holiday Program


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What kind of game WOULD ppl be interested in playing/running
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:07 am
Posts: 953
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Ian.Plumb wrote:
Just an observation: if you play in an established setting there are certain norms and expectations that go with it. You might even go so far as to say that there are certain stereotypes. In a fantasy game this might be the honorable thief, in a modern game this might be the good cop forced to keep quiet about the corruption of his superiors and driven to drink. The kind of two-liners about a character that might be used to pitch a film to a studio man.


Ah the good ol two liners, good for creating NPC's in a pinch ;), though I agree it is nice to break away from such things.

Quote:
The thing I like about Shared Setting Creation is that the new environment has no baggage. There are no stereotypes in Ozomatli; though some characters in the game are more typical than others.


Would you feel my character is too typical? Feel free to be honest, my skin is quite thick :P

Quote:
Similarly with The Parched Lands. This interests me -- disposable settings, created to assist in the development and exploration of particular themes. What doesn't interest me is Exploration of Setting as a reason to game. I don't want to play in a game set in Middle-Earth -- I read the books, I saw the films, I don't need to spend weeks traipsing through Rhudaur on the way to Arthedain...


Probably my least favourite part of Shared Setting creation is the notion that the Setting is Disposable. The reason I don't play MMORPG's is because nothing the PC does matters, nothing chages or get accomplished. This is one of the reasons I much prefer P'n'P-RPG's.

Now that's not to say that I don't want PC's to be able to effect the Setting, on the Contrary I want EVERYTHING the PC's do to effect it. However I then also thouroughly enjoy playing future games in the same (though changed) setting, where the actions of previous PC's have had tangible effects on the Setting.

Also I agree that Exploration of the Setting should not IMO be the reason to game. This DOES NOT mean I don't enjoy exploring the Setting, just that that is NOT the reason I am playing.

Also I wouldn't mind playing in Middle Earth, infact I would enjoy it because the Setting is established and interanlly consistant. HOWEVER I WOULD NOT Play in Middle Earth if the Setting was too "Precious" to the GM. If I'm playing in Middle Earth, then my PC is going to put great big scars all over it :P Expect the Unexpected and all that.

Quote:
So, for me at least, discussing the theme of the game is far more likely to whet my appetite than discussing the setting.

Regards,


Then by all means, discuss ;)

As already stated I would love a Greek Tradigy-esque game, a game of sacrifice, and loss. Where the darkness of the setting serves to help the heroes shine.

Cheers!

_________________
"It was hard-fought, a desperate affair that could have gone badly; if God had not helped me, the outcome would have been quick and fatal" (115) ~ Beowulf after defeating Grendle's Mother.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What kind of game WOULD ppl be interested in playing/running
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:05 pm
Posts: 2035
Location: Estonia
LOL, good job Crow, scaring the last remnants of the interested players away with your point buy system. :lol:

But seriously though, I was already thinking of revamping an old character of mine that I never really got to use for your WoD game. A preacher with a troubled past hanging out in bad neighbourhoods and seeing himself more as a social worker for the kids there. Not much of a hunter type but the will to help definitely there. A bit of cowboy in him too. :)

On the epic thing... you mean something like playing larger-than-life characters in line with Achilleus/Odysseus etc? Or are you starting a communal creation with the epic feel as your first guideline for us?

_________________
"Brothels are a much sounder investment than ships, I've found. Whores seldom sink, and when they are boarded by pirates, why, the pirates pay good coin like everyone else."
- Lord Petyr Baelish, A Game of Thrones


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What kind of game WOULD ppl be interested in playing/running
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:07 am
Posts: 953
Location: Melbourne, Australia
At this stage this is Pre-Shared Setting creation, I just want to gauge the interest of players in ANY sort of game.

Your preacher sounds really cool. That is a perfect example of the kind of Characters that I like in the Vamp setting I was talking about.

As far as the Epic thing... I was simply saying that I would like to play an Epic character along the lines of Achilles or Odysseus etc. etc. "Larger than Life" is a great way of putting it.

What attracts me to Greek Heroes, is they are figures of great strength and accomplishment, but also of great sorrow and loss.

Ofcourse if I was going to play such a game then I would want it to be set in an Ancient World, not nesecarily based on Ancient Greece, but defintely with that kind of feeling, an Age of Heroes, you know what I mean?

So yeah this thread is for ANYONE to say, I've always liked the idea of this or that, I'd love to play a game where the players do this or that, I wanna run a game with this or that. etc. etc.

Any themes/flavours that capture your fancy as either a GM or a Player... the ONLY difference between this and one of Grettir's Shared Setting Threads, is there is at this stage no guarenty of any ideas being taken forward. The reason I want the ambiguity it because I want MORE discussion on themes and flavours at the moment, and I DON'T want people thinking too far ahead. Heck, there might not even be enough interest to warrant another game for months!!

Also, at the moment I am quite preoccupied just trying to survive in Grettir's game :P

So yeah, just discuss games, or ideas of games, I wanna see where the interest is and isn't, and THEN maybe in a few days or weeks or months (probably not that long :P) we can take the ideas from this thread and start a Shared Setting Creation in ernest.

Cheers!

_________________
"It was hard-fought, a desperate affair that could have gone badly; if God had not helped me, the outcome would have been quick and fatal" (115) ~ Beowulf after defeating Grendle's Mother.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What kind of game WOULD ppl be interested in playing/running
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:07 am
Posts: 953
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Oh, and I will continue to fight for the noble Point Creation system! I have yet to see how Priority Picks adds anything to the game, and yet I can personally see ALOT of drawbacks of such a system! :P

Ofcourse that is just MY OPINION, but hey, I call it how I see it ;)

_________________
"It was hard-fought, a desperate affair that could have gone badly; if God had not helped me, the outcome would have been quick and fatal" (115) ~ Beowulf after defeating Grendle's Mother.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What kind of game WOULD ppl be interested in playing/running
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:54 am
Posts: 191
Location: Perth, Australia
I have been working on a Bronze Age campaign for some time. I combined "predeluvian" mythology with Middle Bronze Age Cultures (Troy, Egypt, Mycenean (Greek), Minoan, Assyrian, Babylonian, Hittite, Hurrian, Nubian etc) I decided that most of the mythologies had either gods or angels mating with men making demigods but that these demigods were corrupt. (ie most of the mythologies habe the idea of the flawed hero)

I am thinking of allowing characters to become demigods, but I think that each hero should have one outstanding Stat : Achilles: Fast, Heracles: Strong, Odysseus: Wit. Aias: Toughness. so i gave a bonus to one stat (maybe even +4or5)

BTW the gods and demigods powers are magic straight from the book. But the gods don't age.

Anyway I have invented a lot of new flaws and each demigod gets a Major one for free!

I nearly forgot that I am adding races Satyr, Centaur, nymph etc as well for fun. (Maybe even Lammassu (bull humans from Assyria hehe)

Anyway, the answer to your question is that I am interested in mythology I think TROS could handle it quite well.

_________________
Valthalion
Knight against chaos


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What kind of game WOULD ppl be interested in playing/running
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:07 am
Posts: 953
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Valthalion wrote:
I have been working on a Bronze Age campaign for some time. I combined "predeluvian" mythology with Middle Bronze Age Cultures (Troy, Egypt, Mycenean (Greek), Minoan, Assyrian, Babylonian, Hittite, Hurrian, Nubian etc) I decided that most of the mythologies had either gods or angels mating with men making demigods but that these demigods were corrupt. (ie most of the mythologies habe the idea of the flawed hero)


Would you believe me if I told you I had been working on the exact same setting for years now?

My setting is based mainly on Abrahamic Antediluvian accounts (including Genesis from the Bible and the Book of Watchers from the Book of Enoch) mixed Ancient Greek Myth (Which has surprisingly HEAPS of overlap).

The "gods" of my setting are Fallen-Angels (Titans) and their children (What post flood myth calls the gods) are infact Nephilim (Demi-gods).

So in my setting Kronos is a "god" whilst Zeus is but a Demigod, after the Flood when the Fallen Angels (Titans) are bound in Tartartus (Gehenna) the Demigods assume the mantle of the "gods" and their bastard of spring becomes the next generation of demigods. Pre flood characters such a Herakles who post flood would be a Demigod, is simply a "Hero", after the flood the descendants of the new demigods are called heroes.

Its a little complcated but once you get the gist of it Greek Myth and Abrahamic religion gel extremely well.

Quote:
I am thinking of allowing characters to become demigods, but I think that each hero should have one outstanding Stat : Achilles: Fast, Heracles: Strong, Odysseus: Wit. Aias: Toughness. so i gave a bonus to one stat (maybe even +4or5)


A single stat increase of +4 could be balanced by a Major Flaw, the only problem I see that I think EVERYONE would then want to play one of these fellows.

Keeping in mind that in my world the Nephilim (Demigods) are Extremely Evil (Cannibalistic and very immoral, just like the early Greek stuff) I wouldn't want too many players playing such.

Quote:
BTW the gods and demigods powers are magic straight from the book. But the gods don't age.


I use the various powers, Discplines, Lores, Thaumagy etc. etc. from the Old World of Darkness Books, each DOT is purchased as a Major Gift, I think this keeps the PC's a lot more balanced, and of course NPCs can simply "purchase" as many DOTS as the game requires.

Quote:
Anyway I have invented a lot of new flaws and each demigod gets a Major one for free!


Please do share!

Quote:
I nearly forgot that I am adding races Satyr, Centaur, nymph etc as well for fun. (Maybe even Lammassu (bull humans from Assyria hehe)


As am I... the Book of Enoch tells us the Angels (Titans/"gods") and Nephilim (Demigods) chased after strange flesh, and even sinned against the animals. If an Angel can breed with a human I see no reason it could not do so with a goat. Hence the nearly countless Human/Animal Hybrids in Ancient Mythology.

Quote:
Anyway, the answer to your question is that I am interested in mythology I think TROS could handle it quite well.


That's excellent I would love to compare notes, it sounds as if you have included a lot more Mediterranian Myth than me (I mainly focused on Greek, and the Books of Genesis and Enoch).

I also think that TRoS is very suited to such games, escpecially since the story and character progression is driven by Spiritual Attributes (really makes tose Larger than Life characters who are ruled by their emotions come to life).

Anyways, Cheers & God Bless!!

PS: Is anyone else interested in the kind of game me and Valthalion are discussing?

_________________
"It was hard-fought, a desperate affair that could have gone badly; if God had not helped me, the outcome would have been quick and fatal" (115) ~ Beowulf after defeating Grendle's Mother.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What kind of game WOULD ppl be interested in playing/running
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:06 am
Posts: 1495
Location: Vienna, Austria, Europe
Well, I’ve argued at length what kind of setting interests me – preferably one that addresses a premise, like The Parched Lands, or else one that has a unique flavour to it, like our current game.

I bemoan the lack of exercised creativity of role-players – I mean, role-players move through imaginary worlds, they certainly don’t lack imagination, so why don’t they exercise it more often? You don’t need to be a genius to come up with something original – we’ve demonstrated this more than once on these very boards. Still, most gaming worlds are only ever permutations of each other. Modern-day vampire hunting? Now how fresh is this? Where in that will I see a theme addressed I haven’t seen addressed a hundred times in similar modern-day-supernatural settings?

Sorry, Crow Caller, I really don’t want to pick on you and the setting. I’m merely using it as an example what I want and what I don’t want to see in a game. I don’t expect the wheek to be re-invented every time I game, but I at least don’t want to endlessly follow the same old worn tracks.

Then I want to be able to effect the setting I am playing in; in fact, I don’t want any in-built limits on the extent to what I can effect it. To say it very markedly: I don’t wanna play the guy who thwarts one of Sauron’s machinations – I wanna play the guy who destroys Sauron, the guy who overthrows Sauron and becomes dark lord of Middle Earth in his stead and goes on to conquer Valinor and slaughters all Valar. I don’t want a setting with which I’m not allowed to play merry hell.

Exception: I am very willing to accept limitations for the sake of story premise. In our current game, the limitation is that the gods can’t be overthrow, but not because the setting is sacrosanct, but because we want to address the premise to what extent and at what price one can be free under a totalitarian regime.

Disposable play-once settings do in my firm conviction serve this ends much better than reusable settings, but I’ve argued this point already amply.

So what kind of game would I like to play? One where either the premise or the setting does interest me and where the setting is neither interchangeable, nor sacrosanct. Would an Iliad-thing interest me? Depends wholly on the premise, and on wether the setting would contain what really gives it that Greek feel.

Crow Caller has called the heroes “larger than life”, and while this is, it only scratches the surface. What is larger than life about the Greek heroes is their passions. Passions, even selfish passions leading to disaster, are accounted a worthy thing in Greek mythology. Central to the entire Iliad is Achilles’ selfish petulance at being slighted by Agamemnon – the Iliad even begins with the words “I am going to tell you about the anger of the hero Achilles”. His selfish, passionate anger bings the Greeks close to annihilation, and still he does nothing – he only acts once Patroklosis killed. It is not a sense of duty that again spurs him into action, but again the selfish wish for revenge. And while this passionate Achilles is contrasted with dutiful, honourable Hector, to whom we moderns are so much more sympathetic, it is passionate, selfish Achilles who spoke to the Greeks’ hearts.

Or look at Medea’s passion. She kills her own children, knowing fully well that doing so will tear her apart, destroy her, but still she goes ahead, bacause she knows that the murder will devastate the children’s father Jason, and she wants to get back at him. Her rage passion devours her.

So I think that a Greek mythology setting should definitely somehow address the premise of passion and its consequences.

Something else that gives this mythological setting much of its tragic feel is that it adheres to a more ancient, primitive understanding of acountability. In Greek mythology, people are always fuly accountable for their actions. Oedipus kills his father and marries his mother, without having been able to know their identities – still, the gods visit punishment upon him, and he himself feels accountable and blinds himself once he finds out what he has – unwittingly – done. Orestes kills his mother Clytaimestra to avenge his father, who had before been murdered by Clytaimnesta and her lover; this was his filial duty, and he has been explicitly ordered by a god to avenge his father. Still, for the terrible crime of murdering his own mother, the gods hound him to the end of the world.

In Greek mythology, you are always accountable for your actions, wether they were justified or not and wether you acted knowingly or unwittingly. I think that any setting based upon this source material does also need to contain this concept to feel right.

_________________
My real name is Michael; use it, if you like.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What kind of game WOULD ppl be interested in playing/running
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:54 am
Posts: 191
Location: Perth, Australia
Grettir wrote:
In Greek mythology, you are always accountable for your actions, wether they were justified or not and wether you acted knowingly or unwittingly. I think that any setting based upon this source material does also need to contain this concept to feel right.



Well said, Greek mythology is really the exploration of the faults of mankind and the consequences of actions. There is no Trojan horse or fall of Troy in the Iliad. Homer mentions it in the Odyssey but the story is all about the wrath of Achilles.

Wasn't it Aristotle who said that the tragedy's were cathartic?

As an aside take the latest trilogy of star wars. If films 4,5,6 where about the redemption of Anakin Skywalker, which I heard George Lucas say once, then the prequels were about his fall. They could have been and should have been as tragic and heart wrenching as a greek tragedy, but I suspect that the filmakers spent too much time on the setting and not enough on the story. How about that for a commentary on Sim vs Narr.

_________________
Valthalion
Knight against chaos


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What kind of game WOULD ppl be interested in playing/running
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:06 am
Posts: 1495
Location: Vienna, Austria, Europe
Valthalion wrote:
Well said, Greek mythology is really the exploration of the faults of mankind and the consequences of actions. There is no Trojan horse or fall of Troy in the Iliad. Homer mentions it in the Odyssey but the story is all about the wrath of Achilles.

Indeed. Few people have read the Iliad, and thus few people know that this epic plays out in a span of no more than a few days of fighting, that prior events of this twenty years of war are only alluded to obliquely, and that it does contain very little about the eventual outcome of the war. It’s really only the story of all human wars, packed into the vessel of one man’s wrathful action and inaction over the course of a few days of war.

Valthalion wrote:
Wasn't it Aristotle who said that the tragedy's were cathartic?

Yes, in his work “On Poetics”. As Greek tragedy draws upon nothing but mythological themes and expounds upon them in the context of what these mythological events mean for the human condition, they are prime source material for any setting drawing upon Greek mythology. As is Aritotle’s “On Poetics”.

Valthalion wrote:
(...) I suspect that the filmakers spent too much time on the setting and not enough on the story.

If filmmakers and indeed writers today would bother to read “On Poetics” and once again adhere more closely to its tenets about the architecture of tragedy, their plots would be so very much more substantial.

_________________
My real name is Michael; use it, if you like.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What kind of game WOULD ppl be interested in playing/running
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:07 am
Posts: 953
Location: Melbourne, Australia
I agree that it their passions that make Greek heroes so much larger than life, which is why I commented on how TRoS with its SA's is so perfectly suited to the genre.

When thinking Greek Tradgedy, or any Ancient World campaign for that matter the very first thing I start to think about is their Anti-Destiny (Others prefer to use Destiny, but I think Anti-Destiny works better), then I start developing their other SA's but always seek to link them with Flaws.

SA's are vague outlines at first, as the Character is barley existant even in my mind.

An example of a character started forming immediately in my mind after I first mentioned a Greek Tradgidy type game.

SPIRITUAL ATTRIBUTES

Quote:
ANTI-DETINY: To kill his wife and children in a fit of rage.
OATH: Vengeance
DRIVE: Glory
PASSION: Hatred
CONSCIENCE: Honour

FLAWS
Rage (Major)
Berserker (Major)
Addiction (Alchohol) (minor flaw)
Compulsion (minor flaw)
Lecherous (minor flaw)
Overconfident (major)
Greed (Glory) (Major)
Poor (Major)
Sleep Disorder (Major)
Vows (Major)
Skeletons in the Closet (Major)
Enemy (Major)
Greed (Vengeance) (Major)


Notice his Anti-Destiny is linked directly to his Rage and Berserker flaws.
His Oath is tied in to his Vows, Skeleton in the Closet, Enemy, and Greed (Vengeance).
His drive for glory is linked to his Overconfidence and his Greed (Glory).
His Hatred is linked to his Oath and shares much overlap.
Finally his Conscience is linked to his being Poor, his Sleep Disorder, and his Compulsion.

Again this is in its rawest most basic form, but this is how characters develop in my mind, the only difference is that with this Greek Tradigy the character is "larger" more excessive.

I actually did an a little experiment and found that the character would literally be the imbodiment of the 7 sins. But also the 7 Virtues, the conflict is where it is at in my opinion.

Anyway, I'm sure I've bored you all enough.

Cheers & God Bless!

_________________
"It was hard-fought, a desperate affair that could have gone badly; if God had not helped me, the outcome would have been quick and fatal" (115) ~ Beowulf after defeating Grendle's Mother.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What kind of game WOULD ppl be interested in playing/running
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:54 am
Posts: 191
Location: Perth, Australia
Grettir wrote:
Valthalion wrote:
Wasn't it Aristotle who said that the tragedy's were cathartic?

Yes, in his work “On Poetics”. As Greek tragedy draws upon nothing but mythological themes and expounds upon them in the context of what these mythological events mean for the human condition, they are prime source material for any setting drawing upon Greek mythology. As is Aritotle’s “On Poetics”.

Valthalion wrote:
(...) I suspect that the filmakers spent too much time on the setting and not enough on the story.

If filmmakers and indeed writers today would bother to read “On Poetics” and once again adhere more closely to its tenets about the architecture of tragedy, their plots would be so very much more substantial.


Hmmm sounds like I should read it before my next campaign...
:D

_________________
Valthalion
Knight against chaos


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What kind of game WOULD ppl be interested in playing/running
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:54 am
Posts: 191
Location: Perth, Australia
Crow Caller wrote:

The "gods" of my setting are Fallen-Angels (Titans) and their children (What post flood myth calls the gods) are infact Nephilim (Demi-gods).

So in my setting Kronos is a "god" whilst Zeus is but a Demigod, after the Flood when the Fallen Angels (Titans) are bound in Tartartus (Gehenna) the Demigods assume the mantle of the "gods" and their bastard of spring becomes the next generation of demigods. Pre flood characters such a Herakles who post flood would be a Demigod, is simply a "Hero", after the flood the descendants of the new demigods are called heroes.

Its a little complcated but once you get the gist of it Greek Myth and Abrahamic religion gel extremely well.



MMM yes well I am probably caught out then. I started the campaign design because I am an Ancient Historian by training but I have a Christian worldview so it was a nice high fantasy setting that I am very comfortable with. My predeluvian mythology is based on the nephilim and their evil seed. I used racial picks to create a series of dilutions of their blood corrupt and powerful. Keeping in mind that in Greek myth the flaw always gets the character in the end. I took the gods Zeus etc as the bene elohim (sons of god :fallen angels) and the heroes as nephilim and their children.

However it was reading Grettir's thread which stopped me in my tracks. I can't remember where it was and I am paraphrasing from memory but it went something like this. "In sim gaming the GM tells the story and the players often don't like the story " What hit me about that was as a player that had happened to me so many times that I didn't want to foist my new story on the players.....

Yes a great deal of the mythology from the ancient near east fits this pattern. And most of it ends with a flood destroying the corrupt gods or demigods/heroes.....

I used Middle Bronze age near east cultures as a background because it fits the Trojan Cycle of Greek myth and we have some idea about their cultures. Prior to that cultures are just named after archaeological finds like the "Urnfield culture" etc.

Secondly I added Atlantis on the island of Thera which was destroyed in a volcanic eruption in that period. I was to populate with an evil culture of nephilim and give the characters the task of sinking it....... (The island I mean)

_________________
Valthalion
Knight against chaos


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What kind of game WOULD ppl be interested in playing/running
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:07 am
Posts: 953
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Valthalion wrote:
MMM yes well I am probably caught out then. I started the campaign design because I am an Ancient Historian by training but I have a Christian worldview so it was a nice high fantasy setting that I am very comfortable with. My predeluvian mythology is based on the nephilim and their evil seed. I used racial picks to create a series of dilutions of their blood corrupt and powerful. Keeping in mind that in Greek myth the flaw always gets the character in the end. I took the gods Zeus etc as the bene elohim (sons of god :fallen angels) and the heroes as nephilim and their children.


Wow, this is pretty crazy, I have been working on and off for over a year now on pretty much the exact same setting. As most people on these boards know I too am a Christian, for me gaming has always presented certain spiritual... not problems... perhaps challenges? To not bore the other with the details I'll simply say that setting also made me feel more comfortable. Not to mention it is Epic in scale and feel, if I could ever pen a story into the setting in my mind I would be a happy (and prbably rich) man. Unfortunately my skills as a writer have not yet been able to capture what I consider the true essence of the setting.

Quote:
However it was reading Grettir's thread which stopped me in my tracks.
Then by all means unread it :P

Quote:
I can't remember where it was and I am paraphrasing from memory but it went something like this. "In sim gaming the GM tells the story and the players often don't like the story " What hit me about that was as a player that had happened to me so many times that I didn't want to foist my new story on the players.....
This is why in my opinion it is very important to distinguish between Setting and Story. No matter how great the Setting if you tried to foist your Story upon me there is a very real chance I wouldn't like it. However if you create an awesome Setting and allow me as a Player to work with you to create our own Stories then that is IMO the real heart of Role Playing.

Its also why I like the Shared Setting creation of Grettirs, although it does IMO sacrifice alot of things I like about established Settings it does equally (if not more) open up the ability for everyone to tell the stories together.

Quote:
Yes a great deal of the mythology from the ancient near east fits this pattern. And most of it ends with a flood destroying the corrupt gods or demigods/heroes.....

I used Middle Bronze age near east cultures as a background because it fits the Trojan Cycle of Greek myth and we have some idea about their cultures. Prior to that cultures are just named after archaeological finds like the "Urnfield culture" etc.

Secondly I added Atlantis on the island of Thera which was destroyed in a volcanic eruption in that period. I was to populate with an evil culture of nephilim and give the characters the task of sinking it....... (The island I mean)


I think there is a slight difference between our Settings at this point. You seem to be using a Map of the Real World as it is today and perhaps using Ancient Cultures as if they are Antediluvian. In my setting the World is vastly different (there is much less water (only 1/3 as much) and the topography of the world is much more different), and I use early cltures to show me how the Antediluvian cultures may have been. There is for example no Greeks in my Antediluvian world, but alot of what makes Greeks Greek is leftover from the cultures of the Antediluvian world.

In my Antediluvian world most of the Greek gods aren't around, or are minor players at best, the "gods" of the setting are more inspired by the Titans of Greek legend and other parrallels from near-eastern myth when I can find them. So instead of Zeus and the Olympians ruling the world it is Kronos and his Titan brothers (and "sisters").

Also, the Book of Enoch talks about the fallen angels corrupting themselves by uniting with the flesh of women (intercourse) and also seems to allude to perhaps bestiality, from which I have taken the liberty to say all sorts of monstrous creatures from Centuars and Satyrs, to Hippogriffs and Hydras have arisen. I find this very fitting when one considers that Cherrubim have four faces (Man, Eagle, Lion and Bull), so a fallen Cherub plus a Cow = the Minotaur. A lion? Perhaps a Sphynx. A horse may make a hippogriff (combining the Eagle and Lion of the Cherrub with the Horse), etc. etc.

Anyway, I would love to get my hands on any note you have concearning your Setting, or if they are not availble then perhaps we can discuss our ideas at further length?

Cheers & God Bless!!

_________________
"It was hard-fought, a desperate affair that could have gone badly; if God had not helped me, the outcome would have been quick and fatal" (115) ~ Beowulf after defeating Grendle's Mother.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group              Designed by QuakeZone