It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:08 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 355 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Actual Play!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:24 pm 

Nice little narrative, Crow Caller, but unfortunately this is not how this is going to go. Your own narrative can proceed no further than to Ghost Jaguar saying “now if you’ll—“, then he is getting an axe swung fully into his face.

You see, Camasoz has had a temple warrior close at hand, ready for the return of Ghost Jaguar. After he had sent Ghost Jaguar ahead to the larder, Camasoz went immediately to fetch this guard hovering nearby; that guard was to some degree in on everything. Camasoz told the guard to wait a few rooms from the larder until he and Ghost Jaguar re-emerged from the larder – then he was to murder Ghost Jaguar. When the guard heard that Ghost Jaguar was barking some order at a slave who had by accident wandered near the larder, he got of course suspicious and halted the passing slave, asking him about his orders. The slave gave his story and was in turn ordered to forget about the order.

The guard knew that something was very wrong, that Camasoz was either in Ghost Jaguar’s power or dead. He did not dare leave his post and he did not dare send a slave for reinforcements, as this might have blown any secrecy. And he needed to be certain that his suspicions were justified. So he went to fetch an elderly woman slave from two rooms away to knock on the door and demand Camasoz, and to test wether the door was locked. As it was discovered to be locked, it now became abundantly clear that Camasoz had been overpowerd, as he would not have locked himself in with a slave he feared.

Then the guard didn’t belive his luck – he heard a scraping and realized that the door was going to be opened. He immediately drew up next to the door, where he would not immediately be seen if it was opened only slightly and from where he could charge if it was opened all the way. He did of course recognize Ghost Jaguar’s words for the lie they were and decided to act – he swung his bronze axe at the head poking through the door…

For Ghost Jaguar not to be surprised by this attack and thus able to at least defend, I need him to pass a Reflex roll against TN 8 (he was unaware of the attacker, but wary, and the slave-woman’s eyes were suddenly drawn to the attacking warrior); his Drive and Destiny apply as bonus dice.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:20 am 

Ghost Jaguar

[dice]hxutmigbqc[/dice]
[dice]mtcvgqgzxw[/dice]
[dice]gwlshkysff[/dice]
[dice]azbigczihl[/dice]
[dice]khianhyjce[/dice]
[dice]oxnyvgebve[/dice]
[dice]xnhamqhysr[/dice]

[dice]astiqdkvkz[/dice]
[dice]yxoecqahrx[/dice]
[dice]zyhpgghymi[/dice]
[dice]gqgkbcuavs[/dice]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:28 am 

Pac laughed at Punchau's words, and then raised a hand in a placating gesture.

"I mean no offense.", he said reassuringly. "I simply found it amusing that you would say that your presence here endangers me -- when a god's body lies cooling in the Inner Sanctum, supposedly poisoned by person or persons unknown. Believe me when I say that this ... unprecedented ... event endangers us all far more than your presence here, regardless of the nature and gravity of your crimes."

"After all, what exactly do you think -- as a Temple guardsman -- that the Servitors and Priests will do in order to reassure The Mountain that they are in control of this city? That they are well able to see the gods' will made manifest?"

"Try to grasp the gravity of this situation.", Pac continued. "What happens, for instance, if the gods decide that the Servitors and Priests are incompetent and completely unable to ensure the safety of a god in this city? What do you think the creators of all this", Pac said as he gestured expansively, "will do if they decide that there is a widespread conspiracy in Ozomatli -- a rebellion against the gods and their representatives here?"

Pac raised an eyebrow. "Any thoughts as to how the Servitors and Priests might choose to prove to the gods that they are in control? Let me put it more plainly. Any thoughts asto what the death toll will be in this city over the next -- say -- month?"

Pac smiled at Palaluca's look of concern. "Kind of makes your ... situation ... seem quite -- how should I put this? -- unimportant."

"Let me pose a further question. When the Priests and Temple Guard start rounding up the innocent in their hundreds at what point will the people of this fair city actually revolt? And in so doing prove to The Mountain that the conspiracy that led to the slaying of one of their own has indeed infected the entire city?"

"One last hypothetical for you to consider. What do you think that the Servitors and Priests will assume should they capture two criminals who fled the Temple complex soon after the death of the god and then attempted to flee the city itself? If you were them, what would you think?" Pac smiled once more. "You say to me that you haven't even met before today -- yet you slew your brother-in-arms in order to free someone you haven't even spoken to from the Temple? Really, do you expect anyone to believe that?"

"No, they'll assume you are part of the conspiracy to slay the god. And, to be candid, I'm leaning that way myself..."

"Nevertheless, An-Ara trusts you", Pac says, looking at Palaluca, "and so I will do what I can for you. Firstly, Punchau, take this."

Pac hands Punchau a leather satchel that is designed to be slung from shoulder to hip, with the satchel at the back and a leather strap at the front. Opening the satchel he reveals a godstone blade not unlike a machete with much of the weight at the end of the blade.

"No doubt by now you will understand that I expect things to go very badly here over the next few weeks. I expect either the Servitors and Priests to wreak havoc amongst the people of this city, or the gods will exact their vengeance upon this place. Survival will not be easy. If you need to face your fellow Temple guardsmen again this blade will make that task somewhat simpler."

Pac handed them both a candy pouch. "If it becomes inevitable that you will fall into the hands of the Priests or Servitors once more then eat as much of the contents of these pouches as you can. It will not harm you -- in fact, you will feel like you cannot fail in any task. It may help."

"Palaluca, I will ask An-Ara to visit you should we have any news that we need to get to you. Until then my nephew Shaq-Atli will take you to a safe place, a storage facility that belongs to a fellow artisan, where you may eat and rest. I will establish contact with the Descended -- should we be very fortunate it may still be possible to get you out of this city."

Pac stood, went to the door and called for Shaq-Atli.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:55 pm 

Crow Caller, here is the hatchet swung at Ghost Jaguar’s face -- 10 dice against TN 6:
[dice]yrtdtmunpe[/dice]
[dice]xbhlqqlrgn[/dice]
[dice]fjpozegcme[/dice]
[dice]fhoscbhgnf[/dice]
[dice]vrzmcrtqpy[/dice]
[dice]fnyjtbwywb[/dice]
[dice]kuhmbozgxv[/dice]
[dice]whaoardzqi[/dice]
[dice]psgqoenqkx[/dice]
[dice]sjmgjtefrb[/dice]

Here’s the wound location roll for a zone IV cut:
[dice]spnjsmzbzo[/dice] -- that would be the chest just below the neck

Ghost Jaguar can do nothing but evade, using his best proficiency (not necessarily unarmed) and his Drive and Destiny as bonus dice. Duck&Weave and Partial Evasion work normally, but if you choose Full Evasion, Ghost Jaguar will have moved away from the door, yielding it to the guardsman.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:12 pm 

Ghost Jaguar

Ghost Jaguar notices the slave's eyes almost too late and leaps backwards from the door...

Partial Evasion TN 7, 15 Dice.

[dice]kmepyyftfr[/dice]
[dice]pqdcrdbrtj[/dice]
[dice]wgoldzgvrr[/dice]
[dice]wggumazdbp[/dice]
[dice]ermhtdbdzx[/dice]
[dice]ojnnpjfgrb[/dice]
[dice]yvzyvdzkxe[/dice]
[dice]jmunnxmlha[/dice]
[dice]vojetqwvcu[/dice]
[dice]ctmftwcyym[/dice]
[dice]sazqmkynft[/dice]
[dice]pywfuripik[/dice]
[dice]uqdrtcpfni[/dice]
[dice]mzsxxfdris[/dice]
[dice]eykwhzerjz[/dice]

If Ghost Jaguar avoids being hit fully then he will thrust his spear (that he just removed from the door in order to open it) at the guard.

Short Spear thrust TN 7 Damage St+1.
Thrust at Zone XIII

[dice]mqboggcomo[/dice]
[dice]emlkpcsirw[/dice]
[dice]bsnbxfkxnx[/dice]

D6 Roll =
[dice]oluvojhcwl[/dice]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:13 pm 

Damn, miss... I hope he doesn't have any Dice left :shock:

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:00 pm 

Ghost Jaguar. Kitchen tract of the temple-citadel of Ozomatli.

Once again, Ghost Jaguar is saved by his hunter’s sixth sense. Alerted by the elderly woman-slave’s terror, he manages to throw himself aside in time to avoid the bronze axehead by a finger’s breadth. Ghost Jaguar feels the breeze as death whistles by his neck…

As the slave lets out a wailing cry of fear and flees away from the violence, Ghost Jaguar launches a counterattack through the doorway.

Crow Caller, no problem, the guard has no dice left – but you have forgotten two things anyhow: To seize the initiative after a successful partial evade, you have to pay 2 CP, and you are at range S (a hatchet’s range) but the short spear has range M, meaning that you have to pay 1 CP for every attack of Ghost Jaguar until you are successful enough to move to his range.

So I assume that you have paid the 2 CP to buy initiative. It’s now a new round, Ghost Jaguar and the guardsman have both full CPs, they are engaged at range S, and Ghost Jaguar has initiative. I try to play out a single round of combat, without any maneuvers – if that isn’t decisive, I’m going to shorten it to a single simple contest of (modified) CPs. Alot your attack dice, pay 1 die for range, tell me what zone Ghost Jaguar is going to attack, apply any modifiers from MRB p234, and roll the dice.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:29 pm 

Ghost Jaguar

Ghost has a CP of 14, +4 for Drive, he spends 1 point for the range penalty and then thrusts at the guard's face again, this time with everything he has. Yep that's right, I'm going all out, Overconfidence plus being in an incredible hurry have influenced my decision.

TN of 7, damage is ST+1

[dice]infafcvdsd[/dice]
[dice]qbgrpetvqr[/dice]
[dice]rjivzpsksb[/dice]
[dice]ycdayhtbcj[/dice]
[dice]ibtmvodmyu[/dice]
[dice]gqvwifokdn[/dice]
[dice]golnhmprpx[/dice]
[dice]iknwoavjvc[/dice]
[dice]qyiwmtzaff[/dice]
[dice]qtvdjnshgb[/dice]
[dice]tyguuppwpg[/dice]
[dice]xchqchwhvn[/dice]
[dice]rrkfjrlljf[/dice]

[dice]qzegoavvut[/dice]
[dice]bkajhievjw[/dice]
[dice]ubwmmhwsrm[/dice]
[dice]wtfwobqizs[/dice]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:30 pm 

Nine successes! Dodge that!! :P

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:32 pm 

Damn it! I forgot to subtract one dice for thrusting at the head!! Make that 8 successes :(

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:34 pm 

Oh, and d6 roll =

[dice]qioreaikep[/dice]

Gimme a break its 4:30 in the morning and I haven't been to bed yet :P

Cheers!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:28 am 

Crow Caller, the temple warrior would like to fully evade that powerful thrust of Ghost Jaguar’s by retreating from the open doorway, but as he has attacked on the last exchange, this option does not exist. He tries instead to deflect the spear with a blow of his hatchet – his TN is 7:
[dice]hvzyasbrno[/dice]
[dice]diaaixbnrn[/dice]
[dice]agjhownjnv[/dice]
[dice]mtefvwsjiw[/dice]
[dice]iwagxnxlfy[/dice]
[dice]ofhltqzoum[/dice]
[dice]yrcujmdgdm[/dice]
[dice]esarqlxoem[/dice]
[dice]lxnbwbwiju[/dice]
[dice]mpjytpcfsg[/dice]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:44 am 

Wow, super roll – but not enough. Level 2 – that involves a straight knockout-roll. 7 dice against TN 7:
[dice]ebfbjomaeg[/dice]
[dice]natcfycasl[/dice]
[dice]zbptuulgdp[/dice]
[dice]irrxerckmp[/dice]
[dice]fsqevqxgdw[/dice]
[dice]spbmaiqqqz[/dice]
[dice]hwlzzwlohq[/dice]

He made it -- no surprise here.

Ghost Jaguar. Kitchen tract of the temple-citadel.

The young hunter’s jungle-honed reflexes need no time to readjust – immediately, he goes on the offensive himself. The spear is but a flicker in Ghost Jaguar’s hands, lightning licking from the doorway, aimed at the guardsman’s head.

But, impossibly, the bronze axe is there in time! Wood clanks on wood as a backhand swing of the hatchet deflects the spear thrust, turning certain death into no more than a glancing blow. The bronze point of the spear tears into and through the guard’s cheeks, laying it open the teeth below. The hanging cheek flap lends the warrior’s face a terrible aspect, but it is hardly enough to debiliate a veteran.

Ok, the warrior has S 6, P 2 and BL 2. Nobody has any dice remaining, so it’s a new round. Ghost Jaguar has initiative and is now at M range.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:19 am 

Ghost Jaguar

The young hunter recovers his spear quickly and brings it around for another devestating threat. Pressing his advantage the hunter throws almost everything behind this attack, his instinct stopping him from going all out.

Ghost was going to go all out, however I want him to grab the old slave before she can go running off as well (I assume she is still there in some kind of shock)

14 Dice, thrust at Zone X.

[dice]zbzmiseort[/dice]
[dice]hvakytjlai[/dice]
[dice]aprbgoohto[/dice]
[dice]tbrlfgdyxk[/dice]
[dice]xusqeernvr[/dice]
[dice]mtibiquwzn[/dice]
[dice]qzdxdbunwr[/dice]
[dice]pimtzzorbb[/dice]
[dice]kdsayoammq[/dice]
[dice]popricoakd[/dice]
[dice]wxivmzxnki[/dice]
[dice]cipribeznu[/dice]
[dice]cmweaxoegl[/dice]
[dice]phnpebzmsc[/dice]

D6 Roll:

[dice]hueiydvtsx[/dice]

If Ghost hits and kills the guard then he will grab the maid with his remaing four dice, if he hits but doesn't kill the guard then he will follow up with a thrust to the guards chest (Zone XII) for 4 dice. If the guard defends and attacks then Ghost will Duck & Weave for 4 Dice.

TN's:
Grab the Maid: 5
Thrust at Guard: 7
Duck & Weave: 9

[dice]ocgmrktclj[/dice]
[dice]zyoayasbwz[/dice]
[dice]aiuednwbtl[/dice]
[dice]zyvjsxvbhu[/dice]

D6 Roll (if needed):

[dice]vuzwmasmvt[/dice]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:46 am 

Crow Caller, the woman slave isn’t there anymore – she’s half a dozen paces behind the guardsman, running away as fast as she can; see here:
Grettir wrote:
As the slave lets out a wailing cry of fear and flees away from the violence, Ghost Jaguar launches a counterattack through the doorway.

She wasn’t frozen stiff as she was mentally prepared for what might happen. As grabbing the woman is thus impossible anyhow, I take the liberty to assume that you put the four dice into Ghost Jaguar’s attack on the guard as well, for a total of 6 attack successes.

The guard, with shock and pain eating into his dicepool, tries to throw himself back from Ghost Jaguar, by retreating from the door – 2 dice against TN 4:
[dice]gfcxrhosux[/dice]
[dice]ggnedbqfla[/dice]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 355 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 24  Next