It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:37 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: OK, if TRoS was up for sale...
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:49 pm 

I have a couple of questions for you all...

Let us assume for a moment that TRoS was up for sale.

Let us also assume that we as a collective wanted to purchase.

What would you be willing to contribute to the cash pool?

Let us also assume that we were successful in our bid. What would you want to do with the original TRoS? Would you want to make the PDFs freely available?

Let us also assume that the rules in this forum were also eventually used to create a new game. What would you want to do with it? Does it become TRoS 2 or is it a new game? Is it sold or freely available?

Many thanks!

Griffin Grove Gaming
Kraftworks for Kids School Holiday Program

Post subject: Re: OK, if TRoS was up for sale...
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:55 pm 

I'll get the ball rolling...

I would contribute US$1,000.oo to the cash pool.

I would want the original PDFs to be a free download.

I think that the game we are shaping here in the EoS forum is substantially different from TRoS -- and so I feel it would be a little misleading to old TRoS gamers to call it TRoS 2. So I would want to call it by a different name. On the other hand, if we owned TRoS then the second project could be a more Simmy set of rules that we could call TRoS 2. These PDF products I would want to sell rather than make freely available.

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:44 am 

Ian.Plumb wrote:
What would you be willing to contribute to the cash pool?
While I would certainly want to support the game and the community I love, these are tough times and I'm one of the few employed people in my immediate family right now. As a result, any investments outside my family are just not feasible for me at this point. :(

Ian.Plumb wrote:
Let us also assume that we were successful in our bid. What would you want to do with the original TRoS? Would you want to make the PDFs freely available?
That's a pretty good question. If we made these freely available, they would certainly serve as a great teaser for the Enigma. They would eliminate the hardest stepping stone I had. TROS had no proper .pdf previews to judge the game. Now, if we could give this great game (and it's supplements) away for free, it would certainly generate a new life for TROS. Add Lulu printings and the physical books are also available again! We already have great support in TROSfans... ;)

The benefits of buying TROS would IMO be twofold. One is the advertising aspect I touched upon and the other benefit I see would be that we could use the two things that I personally would like to be pulled out from TROS and used almost verbatim in Enigma -- maneuvers and wounds. We could then do it without any copyright infringement.

Ian.Plumb wrote:
Let us also assume that the rules in this forum were also eventually used to create a new game. What would you want to do with it? Does it become TRoS 2 or is it a new game? Is it sold or freely available?
Now, with full TROS as a teaser, we could certainly generate interest in Enigma as the two games share much of the same elements.

Liked the free TROS?
Have it reworked, streamlined and multi-genre!
Now available!
ENIGMA

So, yes, I'd naturally prefer Enigma as a full fledged product line that could support itself. Meaning I'd prefer it sold.

On the other hand, the benefits of owning the rights could be just as well threefold. There is also the trademark. TROS was very successful for an indie game. Perhaps it would be silly to throw the old name away in favour of a new one? And let's admit it -- we all love the COOL old name. Many gamers have heard of it, but the game itself has died. Perhaps a resurrection would be a better way go than a new game, especially if we intend to sell it? Add on the free 1st ed advertisment campaign and we could be on to something... :)

Of course the new game is different, but what 2nd edition isn't? I think we can all agree that the simmy-focusing direction was taken up mostly by new owners. In that sense, Enigma is IMO closer to the spirit of the original TROS than the official TROS supplements are.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 6:04 pm 

What sort of a price, roughly speaking, would we be looking at?

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:08 pm 

Certic wrote:
What sort of a price, roughly speaking, would we be looking at?

This is just a thought experiment -- trying to gauge what people would want to do with TRoS if they owned it and how that might impact EoS.

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:46 am 

I have to be honest; I haven't really been keeping up to date with the development threads for EoS (last time I tried, I got lost quickly), so I'll simply say that so long as the combat remains relatively simmy (the major draw of the original game for me was the "ARMA approved" tag) while the rest remains focused squarely on the narrative, I could see it as a TRoS 2e.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:47 am 

Hector wrote:
... I'll simply say that so long as the combat remains relatively simmy (the major draw of the original game for me was the "ARMA approved" tag) while the rest remains focused squarely on the narrative, I could see it as a TRoS 2e.

There are two points here -- and I agree with both!

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:07 pm 

Agreed. I bought TRoS primarily because I was utterly fed-up with the drawn out IGO/UGO systems of d20 and it's many spin-offs.

Even "serious" games like Shadowrun and Call of Cthulu rely on that and like I'm sure many of you, it messes with my sense of drama when the combat is so poor at emulating the genuine threat of combat that it becomes the primary interaction of the group with the world.

The SA's and the simple task resolution were an added bonus that tied the system together really well.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:23 pm 

Slightly off topic - IGO/UGO?

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:35 pm 

Literally "I go - You go" meaning set turns in order. It just bugs me when a combat comes down to passing the dice round the table taking turns to whack each other :P

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:29 pm 

I'd gladly put up money to help buy TRoS. But I haven't read enough about what the plans are with Enigma. But the reason I got into TRoS was the realism. Now I know that means many different things to different people but for me the idea that the entire game was designed on what would really happen is what sold me. So for me the biggest thing that Enigma needs is the feeling of Grit.

I think that TRoS system is great but very confusing to a casual reader. I would want to re-edit the TRoS Quickstart rules and make those free. The full book could still be bought but at a much lower price to help fund The Enigma. Which I believe should be sold.

Also I think Enigma should be in the center of narrative and Sims. and then with optional rules and supplements allow each player to choose how sim or how narrative their game should be

~Flint

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:28 pm 

Ian, like you, I would be willing to throw in $1000, possibly more if negotiations opened up.

Honestly, I wouldn't have much interest whether the books continued to be fore sale or were free PDFs.

What would greatly interest me would be the ability/rights/permission to publish novels based on the TRoS setting. I want something that is apparently difficult to obtain. Low supply + High demand = why my contribution might be negotiable.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:54 pm 

Rasha wrote:
What would greatly interest me would be the ability/rights/permission to publish novels based on the TRoS setting. I want something that is apparently difficult to obtain. Low supply + High demand = why my contribution might be negotiable.

You want to set novels in Weyrth?

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:43 pm 

More specifically: use the magic system.