It is currently Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:24 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Spending PAs and Combat
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:02 am 

Seanachai wrote:
Only the Level 5 wounds have impairments, right?

Ian.Plumb wrote:
No -- some level 5s had immediate PIs. Lesser wounds caused TIs which, if not healed correctly, could become PIs.,

Seanachai wrote:
I'm not sure we need two more abbreviations in this game: TI and PI.

This isn't necessarily part of EoS -- it was a suggestion that was put up after someone recommended the supplement Trauma.

Part of it was the idea that some areas of the body are more vulnerable than others, and so TIs would kick in at lower Wound levels.

There was more to it than that -- I'd need to check over the old thread.

Cheers,

Griffin Grove Gaming
Kraftworks for Kids School Holiday Program

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:21 pm 

I know I derailed this thread a lot with Drama, but can I get a summary here? Here's what I heard:

Points can be spent in Combat...
...to gain MOS0 for optional Terrain Rolls (Multiple Opponents, Timing, but not Keeping Your Footing)
...for a Miraculous Survival (suffer all effects of lethal wounds except instant death)
...to introduce terrain elements in the combat scene (hay carts, covered wells)

By optional Terrain Rolls, I mean those that the player calls for and not the storyteller. I think this is simple enough. If I'm fighting three guys and have an extra Point to spend, I'll drop it to get the bare minimum successes to face just one opponent this round. That's pretty pricey for a 1-round advantage, but it means I'll have a full CP to take care of this lackey.

Re: General Point expenditure

There was some discussion at the beginning of the thread about using Points to win speed contests. To be honest, I would like the general philosophy that Points can't be spent to win contests. In fact, I've never really liked the idea of buying successes to begin with. What are the limitations on it going to be? Can I buy the minimum number of successes for Difficulty 5 tests?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:19 pm 

Seanachai wrote:
...to gain MOS0 for optional Terrain Rolls (Multiple Opponents, Timing, but not Keeping Your Footing)
I'm so not agreeing with this as it breaks the CP economy.

My view is: during combats -- scene elements only.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:28 pm 

higgins wrote:
Seanachai wrote:
I'm so not agreeing with this as it breaks the CP economy.
Oops, I could have sworn you were posting positively about using Points for terrain rolls that weren't required. I can't find that in this thread, so I probably got it mixed up with something else.

higgins wrote:
My view is: during combats -- scene elements only.
And Miraculous Survival, right? You did post in this thread that a Level 5 wound could be survived with a Point, but the other effects would still be in play. If so, then we're at this:

...for a Miraculous Survival (suffer all effects of lethal wounds except instant death)
...to introduce terrain elements in the combat scene (hay carts, covered wells)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:39 pm 

Well, by the time miraculous survival points are needed, the combat is already over, I presume :P

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:05 pm 

higgins wrote:
Well, by the time miraculous survival points are needed, the combat is already over, I presume :P
If a player gets struck on the head (level 5), spends a Point to Miraculously Survive, and then falls to the ground, the combat isn't over until I decide to call off the NPCs :twisted:

But seriously, the point here is that you're going to want to describe this use in the same section as combat, right?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:15 pm 

My wording is: "PA points cannot be used for automatic success in combat."

Neither miraculous survival nor new terrain elements can't be achieved through successful skill rolls, so, they are both valid.

I mean, if you want to spend PA point to have the countess having a crush on you, by all means, do it while in a melee duel (if she sees your gallantry).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:55 pm 

higgins wrote:
My wording is: "PA points cannot be used for automatic success in combat."
Understandable, but they can be used for auto victory in a Difficulty 5 test outside of combat? And in contests too? I think Point Usage should be the next thread we spend time on after we finish the ranged stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:08 pm 

It indeed should.