It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: EoS: Rounds, Limelights, Refreshes...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:07 pm 

higgins wrote:
Iorwerth wrote:
I was wondering if NPCs have limelights?
That's a good question, actually. People seemed to think that once the Limelight roster is set, only spending PAs can change it, but can the established Limelight roster be broken by the referee? I mean, if I as a referee have an NPC who wants to target a character that is way behind in the Limelight roster (he's the prince, he's carrying an important item, whatever), this creates a problem if I can't attack him/her before his Limelight. Heck, the NPC might even be killed as I wait the victim's turn.

I find the thing a little confusing if NPCs who are not engaged with PCs don't get limelights at some point, or its equivalent. Let us say, for example, there are a couple of archers out of reach on a roof-top, overlooking the courtyard where the PCs are engaged in a mass swordfight. When do these archers actually get to fire?

Perhaps the GM could create a limelight for an NPC(s) when he wants to, slotting it into the PC limelight structure, but the GM must give a drama dice to the player whose turn is coming up next and who will, therefore, have to wait until the NPCs have had a limelight. Perhaps that player could offer to pay 2 drama dice to keep the limelight, if he doesn't want to let the NPC get the limelight before his turn. The GM could then up his bid if he wants to and thinks it important. The player could then not accept and offer to spend an additional drama dice himself, etc - basically, there is a drama bidding system, that could go on until one side gives up. If the PC wins, he pays the drama dice and has his limelight as per normal. The GM can then offer the next PC whose limelight it is a drama dice to allow his NPCs to get a limelight, and the process would begin again. This would, obviously, introduce some kind of drama dice economy into the game, which may not be what is desired.

Post subject: Re: EoS: Rounds, Limelights, Refreshes...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:16 pm 

Iorwerth wrote:
Perhaps the GM could create a limelight for an NPC(s) when he wants to, slotting it into the PC limelight structure,
I think this is a temptation because we're just used to a You-Go I-Go type combat. Player 1, Player 2, NPC 1, Player 3, NPC 2, etc. It isn't necessary (or desired IMO) to have limelights for NPCs. If an NPC is firing on a PC, then it's handled during that PC's limelight. You'll also find that this crowd seems to dislike the bidding idea, which I had offered for a different mechanic.

Iorwerth wrote:
for example, there are a couple of archers out of reach on a roof-top, overlooking the courtyard where the PCs are engaged in a mass swordfight.
The first question is whether the PCs are aware of the archers. At the beginning of a round of limelights, you have the PCs make a Acumen + Wits test (or roll for them) to see if they notice the archers.

If the player fail, I roll their attack where it's dramatically appropriate - probably during the limelight of the targeted PC. If the players are engaged in melee, they might not even notice that their buddy just got shot.

GM: Ok, Bill, you're up. Refresh and throw red/white.
Bill: Red! I'm going to gut this bastard thief!
GM: (rolls for thief and archer)
Bill: Hey...that's a lot of dice there. What's going on?
GM: Your attack works! Level 3 wound! As the thief falls back in pain you hear a whizzing THUD as an arrow just barely misses you. If you hadn't been circling that thief, you're pretty sure it would have ended up in your back instead of the ground beside you. ...Combat Pools refresh. Do you finish off the thief? He's at Close range right now.
Bill: Crap! No, I give a shout and run behind something.
GM: OK - make a Terrain Roll.

If the players succeed, I would describe the scene so they have a chance to declare their intentions.

GM: OK, so Bill how many successes did you get on Acumen + Wits?
Bill: 3 successes - What the hell's going on?
GM: Ok, Bill, you see three archers hiding behind chimneys on the houses along the street. Most of them are at Short range - you won't be able to Evade their arrows.
Jon: I'll take them out!
GM: You can't. You didn't spot them, only Bill did. Bill, you can see that each of them are targeting one of you. It seems they were waiting for you.
Bill: Crap! I need to get under those rooftops before they take a shot.
Jon: OK - I guess I'm going to finish off that guy from last round.
Dave: Likewise...
GM: Bill, we'll handle this on your limelight with a Terrain Roll - But first, Jon you're up, then Dave and Bill.

Alternatively you could reveal the hidden to Bill on his limelight, but I'd want to give him the chance to spend Drama to interfere with Jon's limelight.