It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:44 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: EoS: Creating a line of sight a.k.a. Timing the shot
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:00 pm 

KazianG wrote:
That said, I can't constructively say anything on this topic because I'm still a bit confused about the limelight mechanic, and I seem to have lost the original thread or some such. If anyone would like to post and/or message me a link to it, I'd be grateful. This whole conversation sort of leads me to believe I misunderstood the mechanic in the first place.

higgins wrote:
As I get it, the limelight mechanic has something to do with the "role" the player "chooses for his character" and if the player needs to "waste" some of his "screen time" preparing to act in "his chosen role", all the sacred tenets of good RPG design have been broken. To me, this sounds like D&D 4e, but perhaps I've misunderstood the concepts as well.

I've participated in the threads and even I don't understand that explanation. However I will also say that I dislike the way Limelight has been co-opted as a term with meaning in terms of the game mechanics.

Think of it this way. You're watching a film at the cinema where the director shows some melee action, cuts to a guy cranking away on his crossbow winch, cuts back to some different melee action for a while, cuts to the same guy cranking away on his crossbow winch, cuts back to the original melee for a while, cuts to the second melee for a while, and then cuts back to the crossbowman who raises his crossbow and takes a shot.

The term 'limelight' (small 'l', coined in the theater during the 19th century) refers to the time when the audience are looking at your character. The duration of each cut in the description above represents each character's time in the limelight. In the above description the duration of each character's time in the limelight is not equal -- it doesn't need to be in order to convey to the audience what each character is doing.

Now, there is no film that would be edited in the manner described above. The audience do not need to watch a character winching a crossbow. When he takes the shot, it is implied that he must have winched the crossbow. So the question becomes -- why would you want to show it in a combat scene? What design goal is being met by doing so? If it serves no purpose, then like the editor of a film it is the referee's job to excise it from the scene to improve the flow, the timing, of the scene. Each pause for crossbow winching kills the flow of the combat.

Does that make the objective of the mechanic a little clearer?

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming
Kraftworks for Kids School Holiday Program

Post subject: Re: EoS: Creating a line of sight a.k.a. Timing the shot
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:52 am 

IMO it's commonly understood that each player will have one limelight during a "round" (or Tier 1), with the order of the limelights pre-set in the beginning of the combat.

Now, what I meant by measuring the reloading periods/other time consuming tasks by limelight, was not the camera jumping back and forth, but skipping over the "activity consumed" PC for a certain number of limelights.

For example, character runs to the gates, referee says it takes two limelights, so, the player is skipped two times and on the third time, he will reach the gate and have his limelight.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8