It is currently Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:24 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: EoS: CP & MP
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:08 am 

Do we need a distinction between CP & MP?

Sure, these pools will be used differently a bit, but that depends on the weapon, rather than the proficiency, right?

I mean, if I can throw the knife with my CP, can I stab with it using my MP?

Point is, sometimes the distinctions feels like splitting hairs.

Post subject: Re: EoS: CP & MP
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:06 pm 

Combat Pool & Missile Pool = (Agility + Wits) + Weapon Proficiency, right? So it is assembled the same.

Difference: Refreshing. Combat Pools (Melee) refresh every two exchanges, but Missile Pools refresh every turn/limelight.

Difference: Terrain Rolls. In Melee it's used for Terrain Rolls, for Archery, it's yet unknown.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:22 pm 

There are bound to be some terrain rolls for archery... if not for anything else, then for moving between range bands.

Refreshing is a good point though, but is that tied to the type of pool? If the a guy with a double crossbow is pulled into melee and he wants to pull off the shots, will he really get only one refresh per limelight while the melee combatant gets multiple refreshes?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:38 pm 

higgins wrote:
...but is that tied to the type of pool? If the a guy with a double crossbow is pulled into melee and he wants to pull off the shots, will he really get only one refresh per limelight while the melee combatant gets multiple refreshes?

Good question. That would mean...

1. Archer (PC) is shooting at Target (NPC) outside of melee. This is handled at the limelight level. Target is evading using Attribute + Attribute/Dodging Skill spec. The limelight effectually ends when Archer is out of MP ("Is he going to get away? You have one limelight - that is, one MP - to stop him!")

2. Archer (PC) is shooting at Target (NPC), who is engaged in melee with Swordman (PC). This is handled at the refresh level. Target is evading with Combat Pool. Archer gets multiple refreshes each limelight?

So...does this seem right to you?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:46 pm 

I think the solution is:

1. use the passive defense

2. use the active defense (and archer doesn't get new refreshes)

In other words, situation decides the active/passive use, not the player. For NPCs anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:35 am 

higgins wrote:
In other words, situation decides the active/passive use, not the player. For NPCs anyway.

OK, that makes sense, but what are the benchmark situations? In example one the Target (NPC) is aware he's being targeted by Archer (PC). Why only passive defense?

Passive Defense: Add Difficulty to Timing Roll.
Active Defense: Target uses CP or Agility+Wits (?) to evade at TN4, 7, or 9. Target has option of forfeiting Active for Passive Defense.

Archer is firing on:
...an unaware target not engaged in combat. Use Passive
...an aware target not engaged in combat. Use Active
...an unaware target engaged in combat. Use Passive
...an aware target engaged in combat. Use Active

I would like to see Passive Defenses be somehow unified throughout the rules of the game - whether that's not getting hit by an arrow, not being convinced by diplomacy (for NPCs), not being mind-warped by magic, etc. If we decide to say Passive Defense is an additional success required on a roll, is that going to be viable through the game?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:51 am 

Seanachai wrote:
I would like to see Passive Defenses be somehow unified throughout the rules of the game - whether that's not getting hit by an arrow, not being convinced by diplomacy (for NPCs), not being mind-warped by magic, etc. If we decide to say Passive Defense is an additional success required on a roll, is that going to be viable through the game?

This is the reason to allow a roll for passive defense by the target -- it unifies the mechanic with what is bound to be used in the sorcery section. I can't imagine the players being happy with a system where the NPC sorcerer can hit their character with a spell and they don't get any kind of roll.

That having been said, a unified mechanic isn't everything. If three archers are targeting the PC do they get three passive defense rolls? Does every NPC the players target get a defensive roll? It would be a quicker resolution if there was simply a penalty on the shot rather than an opposed roll.

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming
Kraftworks for Kids School Holiday Program

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:58 am 

This gets complicated. I mean, it would make sense that the aware Evasion versus the archer's bolt wasn't "free" ... in other words, it should come from the CP.

Blargh, this isn't half the way done I thought it was.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:46 pm 

higgins wrote:
Blargh, this isn't half the way done I thought it was.

Don't get frustrated! We are making AWESOME progress.

Here's what we know:

Whether it's the realm of ranged combat, social persuasion, or dark sorcery, we are always going to have two things:
    Agents (those attempting to do something to others) and
    Patients (the objects of the mundane, social, or magical violence).

We know that Agents are going to make a roll.
    We know that something makes some Patients more difficult to affect (eg. higher "reflexes", Willpower, etc).
    We are unsure whether Patients should always make a roll.

Options:

A. An Agent's roll is modified by the Patient. This could mean a dice penalty (see nWOD).
    B. An Agent's difficulty is modified by the Patient.
    B1. The TN number might be the Patient's relevant attribute.
    B2. The Difficulty is increased by 1-3 because of Patient.
    C. Agent and Patient always roll against each other.

If we choose C then that begs the question of how to frame the difficulty for the Patient and where he gets his dice from. When TNs where dynamic the Patient's difficulty was based on Agent or circumstances (TN to resist magic was Agent's ART score).