It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:46 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: EoS: Terrain Rolls and Let It Ride
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:06 pm 

I wanted to throw an idea at you guys. I'm not sure if I borrowed or stole this from somewhere else, but I always wanted to combine Terrain Rolls with the Let It Ride philosophy.

Let It Ride wrote:
After a character has passed a successful footing test, the storyteller may opt to allow the warrior to continue to pay the number of dice rolled as an activation cost in future plays instead of re-rolling the test. A new test would be required if the situation dramatically changes or if the player wants to try the test at a smaller allotment of CP.

Jon (CP 12) is facing Ulf (CP 14) on the slope of a snowy mountain forest. The fresh powder goes all the way up to their knees, so the ST calls for a Terrain Roll, Difficulty 2 as the fight begins. Jon rolls 5 dice and gets what he needs to keep his footing. He plays the first two exchanges with a CP7. Ulf plays it dangerous and only rolls 3 dice! He plays the first two exchanges with CP12.

After two exchanges the ST calls for a Terrain Roll. Ulf elects to Let It Ride, pays 3 dice, and continues the bout with CP12. Jon (CP7) knows he's outmaneuvered. He decides to re-roll, this time at only 4 dice. He keeps his footing and continues the play at CP8. At the next refresh, Jon Let's It Ride as well.

...I think this might help to speed up combat in a bout that might last several refreshes. Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: EoS: Terrain Rolls and Let It Ride
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:20 pm 

Wouldn't it become a lottery? In the sense of... it's the 1st exchange, so, we must both roll... we both want to use as little dice as possible, so, if we both fail, it's not a big deal, but will he roll a bunch of dice and I fail?

So, essentially, doesn't this become "I wonder if the opponent rolls stingy?" game?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:27 pm 

higgins wrote:
... doesn't this become "I wonder if the opponent rolls stingy?" game?

How is this different than TROS combat as is, though? More importantly, how is this different from real-life combat? You're both trying to move as quickly as you can without falling on your arse.

The only difference is you don't have to keep re-rolling after every two exchanges. In some fights, that might save a lot of time, and it would pose an interesting dilemma for the player: This is how well I'm doing with this CP, should I risk moving a little more carelessly (ie. roll Terrain at a lower allotment)?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:49 am 

Seanachai wrote:
The only difference is you don't have to keep re-rolling after every two exchanges. In some fights, that might save a lot of time, and it would pose an interesting dilemma for the player: This is how well I'm doing with this CP, should I risk moving a little more carelessly (ie. roll Terrain at a lower allotment)?

I'm all for this where it applies to Terrain Rolls and specifically moving on tricky terrain. Not Terrain Rolls and multiple opponents or Terrain Rolls for timing or LoS. I'd be worried by any application of this and sorcery.

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming
Kraftworks for Kids School Holiday Program

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:15 am 

Ian.Plumb wrote:
I'm all for this where it applies to Terrain Rolls and specifically moving on tricky terrain

Agreed, which is why I wrote it up originally for "footing tests". Facing multiple opponents is too dynamic of a threat to Let It Ride.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:39 am 

Seanachai wrote:
How is this different than TROS combat as is, though?
Well, now that you ask, Terrain Rolls have no set order like attacks do. Who allocates first? The guy with initiative?

Seanachai wrote:
More importantly, how is this different from real-life combat? You're both trying to move as quickly as you can without falling on your arse.
What I meant was... in real life, people would me more careful initially when on a precarious surface, but let it ride encourages them to be more reckless.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:54 pm 

higgins wrote:
Seanachai wrote:
How is this different than TROS combat as is, though?
Well, now that you ask, Terrain Rolls have no set order like attacks do. Who allocates first? The guy with initiative?

PC vs NPC: Values are kept secret. The player might be able to ascertain how large the enemy's CP is.
PC vs PC: I'd have them set it aside and then roll at the same time. They'd sort of know what kind of a CP they were facing anyway because of meta-game knowledge.

(Actually, this is a good question for the Timing Roll and Archery Roll topic: If I know the archer is putting most of it into one roll than another, wouldn't that affect whether I'm going to use Passive/Active defense, etc? Who announces that first?)

higgins wrote:
What I meant was... in real life, people would me more careful initially when on a precarious surface, but let it ride encourages them to be more reckless.

Hmm, I don't follow. The reckless part comes when they make the Terrain Roll. They make that decision once and then play through the bout. Without the Let It Ride, they are making this decision EVERY refresh. They always have the option of trying again with a smaller allotment (more reckless) or going with the sure thing (more cautious).