B: 22
C: 20
D: 18
E: 16
F: 14

Post subject: Re: EoS: Trait Priority Table
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:20 pm 

Yeah, that sounds about right. :)

I don't even think that your first table is particularly low powered. The A pick could be:

4, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3
5, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 2
4, 4, 4, 4, 2, 2, 2
5, 4, 4, 3, 2, 2, 2
5, 5, 3, 3, 2, 2, 2

And that's even without bringing any attribute below average.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:29 pm 

higgins wrote:
I don't even think that your first table is particularly low powered
OK, let's call that Standard Game, the other one High Powered (or Legendary), and we could even have a difficult, gritty game at a lower power level. Actually, we wouldn't have to put any of that in the document, we could just say that storytellers add/subtract 2 points or add a D or subtract an A priority (as in Insight).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:30 pm 

Sounds good :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:35 pm 

Awesome. Then what do we think about Skills and Proficiencies/Vagaries. Here's what I posted at the top of the thread.

Seanachai wrote:
Skills

A: 14
B: 9
C: 6
D: 4
E: 2
F: 0

Proficiencies

A: 14
B: 9
C: 6
D: 4
E: 2
F: 0

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:23 pm 

Can we see an example where the group have 8 columns in their Priority Pick table?

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming
Kraftworks for Kids School Holiday Program

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:02 am 

I've yet to see a concept with more than 6 columns, but I'm figuring that the upper cap would rise.

As for the number of skill points, it would depend on the number of skills we end up having. I'm basing this roughly on my pre-alpha (which had "rating packets", this does not).

A: 28 (max rating 5)
B: 24 (rating 5 costs double)
C: 20 (max rating 4)
D: 16 (rating 4 costs double)
E: 12 (max rating 3)
F: 8 (rating 3 costs double)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:01 pm 

higgins wrote:
I've yet to see a concept with more than 6 columns, but I'm figuring that the upper cap would rise.

How about:

Attributes
Skills
Proficiencies
Magical Sphere (all characters have access to a sphere of magic)
Gifts
Flaws (everyone must take both Gifts and Flaws -- the Flaw table is inverse(the higher the pick the lesser the Flaw(s)))
Social Standing (Families' position within the social strata)
Personal Wealth

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:10 pm 

Ian.Plumb wrote:
How about:

Attributes
Skills
Proficiencies
Gifts
Flaws (everyone must take both Gifts and Flaws -- the Flaw table is inverse(the higher the pick the lesser the Flaw(s)))
Personal Wealth
So what we're discussing here is not what will be "standard" but what might be possible, right? Your question Ian is what should we give potential storytellers who want to have 8 prioritized traits instead of 6. Do we create boxes for "G" and "H" rows or do we just say those interested can just give their players an additional priority slots (an extra C and D, etc, as if they had a pre-existing Insight)?

I think the latter is easier as it wouldn't require any more work from us. :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:22 am 

Ian.Plumb wrote:
How about:

Attributes
Skills
Proficiencies
Gifts
Personal Wealth

Seanachai wrote:
So what we're discussing here is not what will be "standard" but what might be possible, right?

I don't know what you intend for this variant. In the original EoS Priority thread the idea was that each campaign setting would have its own uniquely tailored Priority table where each column contained what would be an important cornerstone for the setting and for the coming campaign. Any number of columns would then be possible, with the norm being 5 - 8. The idea was to present a series of examples, with a brief description of the setting and campaign focus, showing the number of columns and the number of rows and the "stepping" between the rows when the number of columns varied.

Seanachai wrote:
Your question Ian is what should we give potential storytellers who want to have 8 prioritized traits instead of 6. Do we create boxes for "G" and "H" rows or do we just say those interested can just give their players an additional priority slots (an extra C and D, etc, as if they had a pre-existing Insight)?

Well, I'm not sure what you intend but I saw no mention of a decision to limit the Priority Table in this variant and so I simply wondered whether you were going to stick to 6 or have a floating number of columns? If you were going with a floating number of columns, how would you structure the rows for columns Attributes, Skills, and Proficiencies/Vagaries? How would you structure the Priorities column if Vagaries (or your equivalent) were completely separate -- say to allow warrior-mages as being normal?

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:18 am 

Ian.Plumb wrote:
I don't know what you intend for this variant. In the original EoS Priority thread the idea was that each campaign setting would have its own uniquely tailored Priority table where each column contained what would be an important cornerstone for the setting and for the coming campaign. Any number of columns would then be possible, with the norm being 5 - 8.
Didn't know that. I thought it was going to be the prime three: Attributes, Skills, and Proficiencies, and the other three would be custom, with some suggestions offered.

Ian.Plumb wrote:
How would you structure the Priorities column if Vagaries (or your equivalent) were completely separate -- say to allow warrior-mages as being normal?
It all depends on the tough choice you want to give the player. Do you want to shine in scenes involving X or scenes more involving Y? If Magic was somehow commonplace, I would have to think of some way to allow players to distinguish themselves, but I don't think that would necessarily require 8 columns. Another factor to consider is that some players think differently about character creation: while some insist on having his warrior-mage right out of the box, others are content with changing over the game.

In my own game, one of the prioritized traits is 'Legacy'. This determines a character's "race" and access to "magic", but it's really tied into a theme they want to play. Proficiencies and Vagaries are still the same priority trait as in TROS, but Legacy may influence how they decide to spend those points. The point of this being, I never felt the need to separate Profs and Vags, and I couldn't imagine a priority table with more than 6 choices. With all the non-prioritizing choices to be made, it just gets to be too much.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:18 am 

Ian.Plumb wrote:
I don't know what you intend for this variant. In the original EoS Priority thread the idea was that each campaign setting would have its own uniquely tailored Priority table where each column contained what would be an important cornerstone for the setting and for the coming campaign. Any number of columns would then be possible, with the norm being 5 - 8.

Seanachai wrote:
Didn't know that. I thought it was going to be the prime three: Attributes, Skills, and Proficiencies, and the other three would be custom, with some suggestions offered.

OK, so you're saying that this variant requires the Priority Table to contain six columns. That's fine -- this wasn't clear to me from the text in the initial post.

Regards,

Griffin Grove Gaming

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 5:22 am 

pbj44 wrote:
Hey, this is good stuff! Can I steal it for my project?

No.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:41 am 

Well, I was kidding, but how ungenerous...

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:16 am 

:D